Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM

zwift - anyone disappointed?

curious to hear some responses before putting down for a laptop/trainer/tv streaming setup.
since i don't have apple devices lying around or a power meter this would all be new. but it beats not riding my trainer at all so it's still in the back of my mind.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:26 PM
tailgunning

nope. been on it since the beta.

i've found it allows me to hit my training goals during the miserable winter (yes it's still a trainer, but it's much better than just following a power progression and suffering).
Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 PM

IM still figuring it out I think if I do like it it will be for the freedride/jump in a group ride thing. But I like sufferfest more for structured training.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 PM
ergottWheels

I'm all in, using a Macbook so I have more control over world choice (Zwiftpref) and other stuff. I can execute a structured workout in ERG mode if I want and I can also pick a route for an extended ride. Yesterday I did the Pretzel Reverse for a 2:30 ride indoors complete with over 4500ft of climbing. Nothing like that available to me outdoors due to weather and local terrain.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM

I just ride in zwift and watch Netflix or Plex. I've done erg mode in the past but just prefer to ride and chill
Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 PM

I don't like Zwift because the graphics make me think of Pacman or something. Think they are very ugly.

But since your question is really about streaming....

But I do use films of rides...either Tacx films in their app or Veloreality. The Tacx stuff I run off an iPad but the Veloreality runs only on Windows. So I run it on the "windows" side of my MacBook Air.

But to do the streaming there is an app I downloaded for a very few bucks onto the windows computer called Air Parrot which lets it stream to my not so old Samsung TV or an Apple TV.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
I just ride in zwift and watch Netflix or Plex. I've done erg mode in the past but just prefer to ride and chill
that's what i'm doing now, just netflix or stream espn, when i'm on the trainer.
but if i'm being honest, i'm watching something to distract myself from the boredom. at least my 1up trainer is quiet.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM

I tried Zwift and didn't really like the competitiveness and video game quality of it. I prefer to ride tacx films on an iPad and climb the famous euro climbs or spring classic courses.

Smart training elevates everything for me to an enjoyable level but i'm not a racer so hardcore training does not interest me,just riding for fitness is all I'm interested in.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:10 PM

Very happy - as mentioned here often, has been a game-changer for me staying on a trainer in the dark/cold months

Regarding equipment if starting from scratch... might look at Apple TV as the host. Even the fancy 4k version is less-than $200. Combine it with a low-rent HDTV and you'll likely be way cheaper + have better performance then a tablet. Downside of Apple TV is not being able to choose your own world as mentioned by Ergott.

Hardware part-2. Zwift really does seem to have an Apple bias. Be sure to understand the extra hoops you need to jump thru regarding connectivity if going with Windows as a host. As for Android, works great for the Companion but still no support for the full program.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 PM

I love Zwift, it is what has gotten me back into riding.
No worries about getting hit by a car, weather, etc.
Yeah, the graphics are cheesy but I don't care at all.
Zwift has been the single best thing for my riding.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBear View Post
I love Zwift, it is what has gotten me back into riding.
No worries about getting hit by a car, weather, etc.
Yeah, the graphics are cheesy but I don't care at all.
Zwift has been the single best thing for my riding.
i'll see Zwift and raise you CVRcade...

Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 PM

I'd probably fit into "disappointed" - despite having done 2500 virtual miles on it.

The trainer is still punishment for not making myself ride outside, but it is still better than nothing.. so I keep waffling back and forth on continuing my sub (especially after they raised it to $15/month)

As it is, I subbed in November and plan to keep it through Feb. Ive been on it off-and-on since the Beta days too.

I find being on a structured training plan with a goal event in the early spring helps me more than Zwift. If you're cross eyed from doing over/under intervals, you ain't paying much attention to the video game anyways.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Yes, very disappointed after taking a year off of it. especially now that its 15 bucks per month, thats silly. I find it incredibly lame now that i have returned to it. id much rather put on a podcast and ride to an actual training video/program now.

i joined when it was new because i was injured and could not ride outside. it was not too glitchy, or weird, you just rode around and sometimes raced people.

I think the fact that people are not very connected in real life makes them seek these weird braggable connections on the video game life. it has become severely boring to me in those rooms. paired with the insufficient performance of a 750 dollar trainer and poor satellite internet, the experience leaves a lot to be desired. i can never get a consistent experience with power output, hills difficulty, trainer consistency, etc etc. this is not why i get on the bike. there are other ways to exercise.

if you like to chat online with folks, play video games, and you ride for exercise, not because you are a crazy person who has to do stuff outside, then maybe Zwift is a good fit.

if you ride because being outside is paramount to your existence, you dont like video games, aren't at all impressed by those horrible graphics, aren't impressed by video game upgrades that are just pictures on a screen, and get tired of cheats and braggarts, then zwift is probably a waste of 15 bucks per month.

how much do you like group rides? a lot? maybe zwift is good. dont like group rides? maybe zwift is not good.

it has uses for folks who need the carrot, need a training plan with visuals, like video games and online interactions, lack motivation, or just simply to change things up some.

i actually envy guys like ergott who think its fun, and can spend time doing it. i wish it was fun for me, and that i was riding more in the winter, but its not.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 01-21-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM

I bought a Wahoo Kickr and am hooked up to Zwift.
I have not had one single connectivity issue.
It's great while the weather is terrible. I am looking forward to getting on the road once the weather turns but am still very fearful of accidents.
Love that this is not an issue on the trainer, nor is flatting.
I ride with a friend from Oregon on Zwift almost every Saturday and Sunday and have found that this has kept me very motivated. If it weren't for the trainer, I would probably have 0 miles on the bike since October.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Over 20,000 zwiftmiles so far. Started when it wasn't uncommon to be the only person riding around the original little virtual island.

If you're the kind of person who likes to chase after KOMs on Strava, there's a good chance you'll find some aspects of Zwift to be motivating.

Yesterday I got home from a cold, windy 100 mile ride. Saw that Stage 6 of a 10 (?) part ride series that I have been doing was about to start on Zwift, so I changed into summer kit and rode for another 1.5 hours inside.