Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 10:47 AM

With Apologies - Has Barn Finds run its course?

I know this has been beaten to death but now that PSA’s are encouraged to go in Barn Finds and the thread has grown to Godzilla like proportions, has it become too bulky to be of practical use?

I go to it less and less. ( I know it’s not about me)

75-80% of the PSA’s are of little interest. (Ditto)

Good ones tend to get buried pretty quickly. (Main point)

Was the whole idea to save bandwidth?

I’d like to see the forum go back where PSA’s are listed separately with maybe a guideline of specific titles. Members at a glance can decide if they want to open or not. Maybe bad ones get nuked?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM

Never liked or supported the idea. It was just bullied onto the forum by a few loud complainers. It's way too easy to go past a PSA I'm not interested in than to worry about them. But some people aren't happy unless they are complaining.

PSA's rock!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Subscribe to Thread is your friend. Want notifications when someone posts to the thread? Want it daily, or each time someone posts? Easy peasy.

And since it's in a single thread, you're not getting inundated with notifications for things that aren't PSA because its the PSA thread.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:48 AM
You still here?

It’s winter. Some folks get sort of owley this time of year.

Me? I have little to complain about though it did get down to 68* last night.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Never liked or supported the idea. It was just bullied onto the forum by a few loud complainers. It's way too easy to go past a PSA I'm not interested in than to worry about them. But some people aren't happy unless they are complaining.

PSA's rock!!!!!!!!!
that's your opinion. a lot of others share a different one.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM

I seldom go to it just because I'm already floating in projects. Agree that I'm more likely to notice something in a stand-alone PSA thread. I'm fine with either system.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 PM

We've got "PSAs" for the same craigslist/eBay ad being posted over and over again as multiple new threads.

We've got "PSAs" for craigslist/eBay ads for items that are already for sale on the Paceline classifieds.

We've got "PSAs" for collections of bikes that aren't even for sale!

If anything, this hasn't gone far enough.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:

PSA's rock!!!!!!!!!
It's not about that at all. Yes, PSAs are easy to ignore, but they bump for-sale adds down. The marketplace on this forum is for folks who want to buy and sell things on this forum, and not for a guy who's selling a bike on the Seattle craigslist. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some people to grasp.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I know this has been beaten to death but now that PSA’s are encouraged to go in Barn Finds and the thread has grown to Godzilla like proportions, has it become too bulky to be of practical use?

I go to it less and less. ( I know it’s not about me)

75-80% of the PSA’s are of little interest. (Ditto)

Good ones tend to get buried pretty quickly. (Main point)

Was the whole idea to save bandwidth?

I’d like to see the forum go back where PSA’s are listed separately with maybe a guideline of specific titles. Members at a glance can decide if they want to open or not. Maybe bad ones get nuked?
"I go to it less and less": that's an easy fix on your part.

"75-80% of the PSA’s are of little interest." But the 20-25% that you're interested in are not the same 20-25% that others are interested in.

"Good ones tend to get buried pretty quickly." Again, who defines good? Or, flip that around, with individual PSA listings, the good listings of stuff for sale by Paceline members, here on Paceline get buried pretty quickly.

I'll flip this around and give a good counter-example: the "Bigbike PSA" thread works fairly well, because it has a targeted audience. Those of us who fit that size bike revisit that post, and post into it. Yes, you have to hunt it down if it drops off the front page, and yes, you have to read through the thread. But it's far longer than "Barn Finds", at least at this point, and it still appears to be working.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarpepe View Post
It's not about that at all. Yes, PSAs are easy to ignore, but they bump for-sale adds down. The marketplace on this forum is for folks who want to buy and sell things on this forum, and not for a guy who's selling a bike on the Seattle craigslist. I'm not sure why this is so hard for some people to grasp.
Well as a buyer here I find the PSA's useful so what's so hard to understand about that?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Well as a buyer here I find the PSA's useful so what's so hard to understand about that?
PSA's are useful; that's easy to understand. But sales by Paceline members here on Paceline should have a higher priority. So let's keep the PSA's together and let the rest of the Classifieds sub-forum be about sales through Paceline.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:01 PM

team psa here.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
team psa here.
Again, no one is anti-PSA, we just want a little discretion and organization to the complete chaos that is happening.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:27 PM

I was neutral at first but then was struck by the apparent tone deafness by some toward the concern that PSAs dilute the value of the classifieds for members of this forum who are listing their own bikes and bike parts for sale.

I like the PSA sticky. I know where it is if I’m interested. I’ve subscribed to the thread so I get a notification if there’s a new post. If I don’t want to read them, I don’t have to scroll through them. Additionally, it just feels more organized.

That said, I typically read this forum on an iPad using Tapatalk instead of a PC. Thus, instead of picking things to open from a list on the screen, I’m scrolling through everything that’s posted. Reducing whatever is “noise” to me improves the experience.

Mick

My blog and Instagram
Old 01-21-2019, 01:34 PM
bike nerd

My only gripe is someone else might beat me to the good stuff
Closed Thread