Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Tubeless Converts

I just started riding tubeless tires mounted on a Knight Composite Rim on my gravel bike and WOW they are sooooo comfortable and roll so nicely. I’ve never ridden a carbon wheel or tubeless and I’m amazed at the difference from my lightweight alloy rims (custom build Eastons 1300 gr). Is this a combo carbon and tubeless set up? Would like to hear from roadies who have converted. Pressure I know is higher so less comfort there. Has anyone done a tubeless on a 2 way alloy road wheel? How do u like it?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 PM

oh yeah, I've been using tubeless on HED Belgium rims and Campy Eurus wheels (these are probably 15 years old. Both set up great with tubeless.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 PM

Run tubeless on my Colango C50 with Shamal Ultra 2-way wheelset, with 25mm Schwalble Pro One tires. I use it has my grab and go bike. Easy to setup. I didn't do the floor pump thing etc. Just went and mounted how I do my MTB wheels. Compressor with the valve core out. seat tire bed, deflate, add sealant through the valve, replace valve core, pump up to pressure with floor pump. Easy stuff. Never understood why others waste time with the other processes.

I like the road feel. Find it more striven to PSI then tube. On my other bike I ride tubulars and still prefer those to tubeless. But that may be due to the nice tires you can get in tubular flavor. Either way it suites its purpose and will stay tubeless for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
Run tubeless on my Colango C50 with Shamal Ultra 2-way wheelset, with 25mm Schwalble Pro One tires. I use it has my grab and go bike. Easy to setup. I didn't do the floor pump thing etc. Just went and mounted how I do my MTB wheels. Compressor with the valve core out. seat tire bed, deflate, add sealant through the valve, replace valve core, pump up to pressure with floor pump. Easy stuff. Never understood why others waste time with the other processes.

I like the road feel. Find it more striven to PSI then tube. On my other bike I ride tubulars and still prefer those to tubeless. But that may be due to the nice tires you can get in tubular flavor. Either way it suites its purpose and will stay tubeless for the foreseeable future.

I have a set of Campy Eurus 2way and run them tubeless. I switch between those and a set of Zipp 303 clinchers with Velomax tires. I to use the Zipps more, but still really like the tubeless. I tend to use the tubeless more in iffy weather and early season when more grime on rode.

I would like a set of Boras in tubeless if they ever make a tubeless Bora35

I put a set of Shamals on my sons bike last season....I wish I tried your method...I put in the sealant first and then tried the compressor....what a mess!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 11:17 PM

I've been running tubeless for about 5 years on cx and road. My biggest complaint is no matter the tires I always manage to get a slash that won't seal and has to be booted. My schwalbe Pro one tires accumulated the most, but also rode the best. So far these bontrager tlr road tires have been pretty consistent in the feel dept and only one slash in 9 months.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Barely Hanging On

I'm a very recent convert. I think all new wheels will be run tubeless from now on, though I won't be dumping what I already have since standard clinchers have worked pretty darn well for me up to this point.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
I'm a very recent convert. I think all new wheels CAN be run tubeless from now on, though I won't be dumping what I already have since standard clinchers have worked pretty darn well for me up to this point.
FIFY
Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mso View Post
I just started riding tubeless tires mounted on a Knight Composite Rim on my gravel bike and WOW they are sooooo comfortable and roll so nicely. I’ve never ridden a carbon wheel or tubeless and I’m amazed at the difference from my lightweight alloy rims (custom build Eastons 1300 gr). Is this a combo carbon and tubeless set up? Would like to hear from roadies who have converted. Pressure I know is higher so less comfort there. Has anyone done a tubeless on a 2 way alloy road wheel? How do u like it?
Are you riding the Knight 35s? Seems a selling point of these is the ease of mounting tubeless tires. Any comments about that experience?
Old 01-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
FIFY
What is FIFY?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 AM
formerly Landshark_98

tubulars, the right tubulars, ride nicer. But not by much. One the other hand, really good clinchers ride really really nice too these days. I'll ride them all but leaning away from tubeless for tires <30mm wide. We'll see, I've got a couple set of IRC 25mm tubeless tires to wear through, and that will take awhile as they wear well and ride nice.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:22 PM

Does tubeless help with flats? I know it’s the way to go for mtb, but these days I wonder if road tubeless couldn’t help with the pesky pinhole punctures I seem to be getting frequently.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What is FIFY?
fixed it for you
Old 01-21-2019, 03:35 PM
ferro verum est

Orange seal is the only worthwhile sealant
Old 01-21-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Does tubeless help with flats? I know it’s the way to go for mtb, but these days I wonder if road tubeless couldn’t help with the pesky pinhole punctures I seem to be getting frequently.
Heavily depends on the tire. Nice supple tires are always more prone to picking up those kinda punctures. The sealant should easily seal those up but it does get a bit messy with spray out.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
tubulars, the right tubulars, ride nicer. But not by much. One the other hand, really good clinchers ride really really nice too these days. I'll ride them all but leaning away from tubeless for tires <30mm wide. We'll see, I've got a couple set of IRC 25mm tubeless tires to wear through, and that will take awhile as they wear well and ride nice.
there are some major advantages to tubulars: lightweight, and great riding tires. with tubeless, there is no weight savings and more tires are now available as tubelesss. A lot of folks say tubeless are more comfortable due to the lower pressure, but its more that bigger tires require less psi for the same firmness and companies have improved tires. With a 25mm tubular, I'm down to about 80 psi and its a nice ride and with 36mm tubeless, I'm running 42psi for about the same firmness. but tubulars are crazy light which makes them very responsive. there are some pretty light tubeless wheels now, but tubulars are still lighter.