Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Is there more frequent testing these days?
Yes. Much more targeted testing. If your results dramatically improve, or if your competitors suspect you and call the hotline, you will very likely be tested. Even asking how to dope on an internet forum can lead to an investigation. I can't remember the exact case, but I seem to recall one road racer was caught after asking about how dope on a weightlifting forum. https://www.usacycling.org/resources/race-clean.

Greg
Old 01-20-2019, 11:14 AM

This is so true....

A lot of those ones around tho... is good to get objectives and dream about stuff but the cruel reality is that only hand few riders can make it out to high levels when starting the sport old. There is a reason you have to start this thing young... many guys dont realize what a national, panam or world class junior can do to them w/o even flinch. And stuff like that could be a good eye opener to them.

Personally w/o training till like 6 years ago was really hard to drop me from a group going 40+ km/h if it was fairly flat, now I cant hold even my own line going 14 mph But not because I cant do something I will start doing drugs, thats just silly but the difference is that I was UP there already when I was young. These old dudes using drugs havent done anything and at this point IMO they are just sick in the head, sport dont need them... they have to be banned for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Living the cat 3 dream, baby! He was just so....so....close to making it to the pros!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Is there more frequent testing these days? ...
I'll bet the costs for testing have come down, making it easier to conduct more widespread testing.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM

drug testing masters "racers" is akin to tearing down motors after a track day for the local BMW club

Given the state of road racing in the US, use of any resources for this purpose is a waste
Old 01-20-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Given the state of road racing in the US, use of any resources for this purpose is a waste
Actually, given the state of road racing in the US today, its not. There has been a huge drop in the participation, and fees paid, buy younger road racers. Masters make up a huge portion of the number of racers, and most importantly, represents a huge percentage of the income to USAC. And masters racers have indicated that they want more drug testing amongst their ranks.

USAC/USADA are just listening to their customers.

By the way, here's an analysis of USA Cycling membership from 2013:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for...vey-Report.pdf

In 2013, the mean of racers age was 39.5 years, the mode was 42 years. From my observations from the most recent 5 years, I guarantee that the mean age today is even higher.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 PM

This is why its withering on the vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Actually, given the state of road racing in the US today, its not. There has been a huge drop in the participation, and fees paid, buy younger road racers. Masters make up a huge portion of the number of racers, and most importantly, represents a huge percentage of the income to USAC. And masters racers have indicated that they want more drug testing amongst their ranks.

USAC/USADA are just listening to their customers.

By the way, here's an analysis of USA Cycling membership from 2013:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for...vey-Report.pdf

In 2013, the mean of racers age was 39.5 years, the mode was 42 years. From my observations from the most recent 5 years, I guarantee that the mean age today is even higher.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM

I really don't understand the point of drug testing in a cat 3 race. People are already grouped by ability, why should I care if they're a natural cat 3 or a cat 4 who doped his way up? If they continue to cheat successfully, they'll get upgraded to where drug testing makes sense. If they're middle of the Packers in a cat 3 race, keep on doping my friends. I don't care.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:53 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I really don't understand the point of drug testing in a cat 3 race. People are already grouped by ability, why should I care if they're a natural cat 3 or a cat 4 who doped his way up? If they continue to cheat successfully, they'll get upgraded to where drug testing makes sense. If they're middle of the Packers in a cat 3 race, keep on doping my friends. I don't care.
??

We’re always grouped by ability at race weekends.

The tests are part of the whole, not the domain of the better, faster, younger riders.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 PM

Last edited by saab2000; 01-20-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:08 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxnyrwarrsoul View Post
And glory without the work is so satisfying to some.
Watching Icarus and reading Tyler Hamilton's book it's not about skipping out on the work. Riders dope so they can train more/harder. I'm not advocating it, these people surely have issues. Lazy isn't one of them.

Pan y agua for life
Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 PM

If you're going to play pro with the bike, gear and trophies, why not go all the way.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Watching Icarus and reading Tyler Hamilton's book it's not about skipping out on the work. Riders dope so they can train more/harder. I'm not advocating it, these people surely have issues. Lazy isn't one of them
In addition, there are some people who have a pathological need to be the biggest fish in the pond. If working hard isn't enough, then sometimes they resort to cheating (doping or other means), and sometimes they seek smaller ponds to try to dominate, or a combination of both. Thus, we see doping in lower category or Masters racing.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 AM

3 and up as of a couple years ago have an added fee to their license for drug testing. It was also a major push by USAC when new leadership came in to push through more testing across the board. It's randomized for the most part, potentially mandatory for nats or something "bigger". I'm tailgunning 3 races so never really noticed if anyone's being picked at smaller mid-season races.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
This is why its withering on the vine
It's dead and on life support....
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Good point. If you are racing as an amateur for fun and personal challenge and racers fall into tiers of performance then it does not matter how others made it into the tier. You might as well complain about the unmarried dude with no kids who is able to train more than everyone else.

Testing is a total waste of money.