Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM
tailgunning

so, i'm biased, i have a firefly, but for something a bit different:

https://www.instagram.com/kualiscycles/?hl=en

kualis does some neat stuff.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Like this?Something like this? Boras for summer, 650b for winter trails.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
How does that one ride next to the steel fork one?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
How does that one ride next to the steel fork one?
The steel fork is a nicer riding fork than the enve; the enve is lighter and has greater clearance and the lesser rake changes the front end handling - the geometry of this one is closer to the race bike that I bought from you than the rando frame (actually when I compare the geometry of it to both other frames it is as if Tom took what I liked about both frames and then personallized the fit after my session at the barn to create this bike).

The short answer is that I was able to express what I wanted, and then Tom built that bike, as a result of the experiences I had from riding the two bikes I bought from you - and I thank you for that!!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The steel fork is a nicer riding fork than the enve; the enve is lighter and has greater clearance and the lesser rake changes the front end handling - the geometry of this one is closer to the race bike that I bought from you than the rando frame (actually when I compare the geometry of it to both other frames it is as if Tom took what I liked about both frames and then personallized the fit after my session at the barn to create this bike).

The short answer is that I was able to express what I wanted, and then Tom built that bike, as a result of the experiences I had from riding the two bikes I bought from you - and I thank you for that!!
All worked out well. My brother likes the way it all shook out and that’s what matters most to me.
Yours looks great!
Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM

I'd get a Seven personally.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:11 AM

I am with you to a point on this. But I say drive the camry, get the killer bike. $3k car, $5k bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Well....I'm the kind of guy who would just as soon drive a Camry as a Lexus, and keep the difference in investments.

Not saying a volume production Ora same as a Moots. But, I would never pay retail for a Moots. Just wouldn't.

There are brands out there for everyone.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:13 AM

I visited Jim Kish's shop because he lives nearby and he let me ride his 27.5 hardtail. I have never had the Jones for ti but if my Cielo MTB bites the dust I will call him if I can. The road bikes he had laying around were pretty sick too.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Like this?Something like this? Boras for summer, 650b for winter trails.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Dang, that bike is perfect - perfect geo, perfect clearances, perfect build...
Old 11-02-2018, 05:22 PM

There really is no such thing as a best bike. Even two identical sized riders will need something slightly different.
ANY custom builder will build a bike that is better than you can ride it. Assuming that you tell them exactly what you want.

Personally, I would choose Independent Fabrication, but I am biased because I sell them and they work so well with me and for my customers.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
There really is no such thing as a best bike.
NAHBS would disagree.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 07:49 PM

Ti as a material is just great for bike frame applications imo. I've had the following titanium frames: 2 by Dean (El Vado and El Diente), Merckx AX (built by Litespeed), Serotta IT (carbon and ti), Hampsten Strada Bianca (built by Max) and Gran Paradiso (built by Eriksen), and a Spectrum Super with butted ti tubing. They have all been great bikes. Fit has varied and that is what has separated them into bikes I still have (Serotta IT and the two Hampstens) and bikes I have sold (all the rest).

PS. The two Hampstens were custom built for me...
Old 11-02-2018, 07:58 PM

There are so many great builders today...for ti, the number drops and most are big bucks. I've got a Serotta Legend from the 90s and it still rides great! What it doesn't have is room for bigger tires and disc brakes...but I still rider it every week...and I'm still alive! I have a Stigmata for when bigger tires are required but disc brakes and big tubeless tires are more weight...just because someone else says it's great doesn't mean it's what you want...there are benefits and downsides to everything.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
There are so many great builders today...for ti, the number drops and most are big bucks. I've got a Serotta Legend from the 90s and it still rides great! What it doesn't have is room for bigger tires and disc brakes...but I still rider it every week...and I'm still alive! I have a Stigmata for when bigger tires are required but disc brakes and big tubeless tires are more weight...just because someone else says it's great doesn't mean it's what you want...there are benefits and downsides to everything.
Speakin’ the truth!!
Old 11-02-2018, 08:09 PM

It was not the best riding titanium bike I’ve owned but the sharpest looking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D8679EFD-D28F-4246-A746-6EBA63F44910.jpg (78.9 KB, 455 views)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 PM

If you're looking to hang in a pack, that -- to me -- implies raciness and not the current fashion of wider tires and/or disc brakes. If it were me, and I wanted to try out Ti, I'd go for a production frame from '07-'10, the high point of mass Ti production frames. I have a LeMond from that era and it still rides great: agile, sharp, responsive, etc. Build it up with a sweet set of modern wheels and some 5800 and go to town.