Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 12:30 AM

Thumbs up Zwift!

ZWIFT HAS CHANGED INDOOR TRAINING. Apple TV and a Wahoo Kicker is what I use. I also downloaded the free Strava app. Totally worth the $14.99 a month.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 AM

BTW, you can save on the $15/month price by paying through the Apple app store, and using iTunes gift cards. Pretty easy to get them at a 15% discount.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
I'm all in, using a Macbook so I have more control over world choice (Zwiftpref) and other stuff. I can execute a structured workout in ERG mode if I want and I can also pick a route for an extended ride. Yesterday I did the Pretzel Reverse for a 2:30 ride indoors complete with over 4500ft of climbing. Nothing like that available to me outdoors due to weather and local terrain.
2h30 indoor even with Zwift.... I will have to try this one day
Old 01-22-2019, 06:45 AM
ergottWheels

I find the climbing aspect highly motivating. There are climbs ranging from 2 minutes to about an hour. More and more I pick one of the longer routes available rather than doing laps around the flatter courses. I save that for recovery and endurance zone rides.

If you want to have some extended challenges check out www.zwiftchallenge.com
The site keeps track of which of the most challenging courses you've ridden. When you get a PR you get bonus points so it's all about personal growth not racing others. Routes typically are 1:30 or longer. The 4 Horsemen will take closer to 3:30 or more depending on pace.

I only have one course left, the PRL Full length on London. It's 107 miles and over 7k of elevation!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:14 AM

I did the free trial a few years ago. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and it makes the fan run like crazy. Didn't like it enough to pay for a subscription. Maybe when I get a new computer so I don't need to put a fan in front of it to keep it cool.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:18 AM

I also noticed that Zwift makes the fan of my MBP run pretty much 100%.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 AM

to each his own...personally, l love it...put a kickr on there and use apple tv setup and it runs great...I just hit my one year anniversary on there and I got in 215 hours of indoor stuff last winter and this one so far...for me, I would have never done that on my old kinetic road trainer no matter what I tried...so for me it has been quite good.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
I also noticed that Zwift makes the fan of my MBP run pretty much 100%.
same on my windows laptop purchased 1.5 years ago
Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 AM

Like many others here I find Zwift to be very helpful. It was 5deg F yesterday and I still got to ride my bike! I never could tolerate riding indoors in the past.

I ride on mag resistant rollers and Zwift. I think I'd still be bored using a trianer but perhaps not a smart trainer, that seems like a cool way to go.

I signed up for one of the Zwift preprogrammed training plans. It's a carrot at the end of the stick and it works.

You can cobble together an old computer, just make sure you get a semi-decent GPU. Then you need a power meter or a smart trainer and ANT+ and off you go. The companion app and a smart phone mount for the bike is nice too.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM

Zwift

I have historically been allergic to indoor riding but last year did some indoor trainer sessions at the local shop and this year have been doing Zwift at home. It doesn't take all of the monotony out of pedaling without moving, but it has been really good for me. I typically have music or movie on and Zwift on laptop to check as needed. Graphics are fine and the various courses help disguise the trainer aspect a little. I am about half/half on riding routes vs. the workouts and I have found the erg-mode workouts a really nice aspect of Zwift. There are dozens (hundreds?) to choose from and you can create your own as well. I have participated in a few of the organized tours and events and they have also been a nice diversion. All in all, I think it is a lot of options for 15 bucks a month and though less fun than being outside, it's been a great addition for me.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM

So whats the most accepted way of setting this up regarding a Zwift host? I am getting my Wahoo sensors in the mail this week and will be setting it up on my Fluid2 trainer. I have a windows desktop, Macbook pro laptop, a Amazon Firestick, and an ipad. Whats the best way to do this? I may also be able to get an older Apple TV.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Retired!

It's easily the best $15 I spend each month. I get much more than my money's worth from it. I'm not sure what it is about the graphics that people are disappointed by because I find them to be outstanding. I put together this video last year to show some family and friends who were considering signing up what it looked like.

I find the hills to be an especially fun aspect to training with Zwift as I try and better my previous PRs. Lately, I've been joining in some of the group events, something I didn't involve myself with previously. They're very motivating.

Kevin g
Old 01-22-2019, 11:10 AM

I was a very early beta tester, riding around the Island by myself, or once, with Jens Voigt.

I was on Zwift a lot in the early days and found it challenging and a great, realistic workout. After a season, though, I did burn out in it and went back to TrainerRoad with Netflix. I did a free trial session yesterday -- it was a good break from my normal routine.

I've hit the point where the monthly subscriptions add up, and I've cut back to what I really need.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 AM

Is anyone using the Wahoo KICKR Climb and happy with it? It's not cheap along with rest of the Wahoo setup. My current humble Kinetic Road 2 trainer has me climbing that 15% radio tower on Zwift Island in a 50x11 which is anything but realistic. I never actually use the inner ring when on the trainer unless I'm doing those Tidesign 1 legged drills.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:45 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Is anyone using the Wahoo KICKR Climb and happy with it? It's not cheap along with rest of the Wahoo setup. My current humble Kinetic Road 2 trainer has me climbing that 15% radio tower on Zwift Island in a 50x11 which is anything but realistic. I never actually use the inner ring when on the trainer unless I'm doing those Tidesign 1 legged drills.
Go to settings in Zwift and increase the trainer difficulty to 100%. That will definitely change things for you.

Sorry, just reread which trainer you have. That Kinetic trainer isn't the smart trainer I assume?