Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The IQ-X mounting tab is a replaceable plastic band. When people talk about replacing the mount, they mean the part that mounts to the bike. The plastic monstrosity that comes with the light is not stiff enough and would never do off-road.
Thanks, I see the metal band is Part Number B&M464SCHELLE/PB. A worthwhile upgrade at $11 full US retail!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:46 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
pictured: weisan's house
72 pal, you have completely underestimated me.

That was just the garden shed in my backyard,

This is the entrance...

to the rest of my house.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixieporteur View Post
Thanks, I see the metal band is Part Number B&M464SCHELLE/PB. A worthwhile upgrade at $11 full US retail!
unless I'm looking at it wrong, that is a replacement plastic one
eta: dang, that thing is expensive. I need to remember to adjust the light with a wrench instead of trying to rotate it by hand.

The metal mount someone referred to above is probably a B&M475DPB

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-21-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 PM
ZhugeLiang

Apparently one of the winning bikes in 2018 Dirty Kanza was equipped with SP.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/ar...ro-bike-52378/

Rebecca Rusch’s Niner RLT 9 RDO
Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 PM

Both SON and SP dyno's will be OK off-road. Until things get climby and technical slow >5mph. Hubs will then supply an intermittent current causing the German lights to flicker and/or cast a dim version of illumination.

The Sinewave Cycles Beacon headlamp is better suited for specifically off-road, low speed riding. 200 lumens at 5mph is still an asset when technical climbing and the standlight cache works as promised. It's beam pattern is also better suited for trail/woods riding. It does not employ the same carved mirror cut-off beam pattern as the street legal German lights (Eyc, Edelux, Luxos, IQ-X, et al). Rather, it casts an even and broad beam pattern. As you might imagine, this is especially useful when trails dip down and thoese "road" dyno headlamps give no illumination above the trail. The USB charging feature is nice too. Handsome and custom color options make friends friendly.

Would make a suitable urban/road headlamp too, with re-directing beam down a bit, but still not as clean as the German lights in traffic.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
unless I'm looking at it wrong, that is a replacement plastic one
eta: dang, that thing is expensive. I need to remember to adjust the light with a wrench instead of trying to rotate it by hand.

The metal mount someone referred to above is probably a B&M475DPB
Ok, I see there are two parts involved in mounting the IQ-X, a "mounting band" and a "mount."

I suppose the mounting band being replaceable is better than a non-replaceable plastic eyelet under the lamp (as on B&M Eyc, Cyo, Fly, and Luxos). But I was hoping for metal
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Randomhead

I was out riding in the middle of the night and cranked on the light to adjust it and the plastic band broke. Fortunately, convenience stores sell small rolls of duct tape for a reasonable price. For the rest of the ride I was plotting how to build a metal replacement, but the easy availability of spares put an end to that, I have enough projects. The reason it's a band is you can mount the light from the top or the bottom and when mounted from the top, the wires run under the band.

I really don't think I will ever need to replace the band unless I'm too lazy to get out a multitool for another adjustment.

It sure would be nice if the pivot on the plastic bodied lights were bolted on. I have one where I made an aluminum pivot that I still haven't glued on.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Why, may I ask? I am in the process of looking for a good light that will match the dynamo 650b wheel that I just built. This will serve on a gravel touring bike
The light is similar to the Sinewave mentioned above. The beam is not shaped like a German light and is a big flood of light. The Exposure also has a battery built in to maintain light even when you’re rolling slow. It also lacks an off switch which can be obnoxious on a road ride.

Last edited by harryschwartzma; 01-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 PM

Any opinions on or comparisons between SP and Son quick release hubs? On and off road 650b rando type bike, wet and dry. Some rough stuff.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Randomhead

To me, the value of a SON QR hub just isn't there relative to an SP. However, I am somewhat resolved to buy SON hubs in the future because I want the connectorless feature that only they have right now. But that requires a special fork
Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 AM

Both work great. Don't over tighten q/r skewer on SP, and enjoy. The SON will work great, the seals might contaminate/honk after a period. But probably not.