Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
What he said. While smoking on the Weber, a load of charcoal can easily last 6-8 hours, as it burns really slow. Once it's going, you keep the bottom vent just cracked and the top vent then gives you your temp control, but it's generally at least 3/4 closed. With the Slow n Sear, you light a couple briquettes on one side, then fill the rest. And as mentioned, you only want smoke from chips for the first hour or 2.

You can achieve similar results with some strategically placed bricks as well.

Hear is what it looks like:
Did you get the drip pan as well? I kept going back and forth on the Slow n Sear, but I think this year I will get it. Like I said above, I usually just cover the charcoal grate with foil, but the drip pan looks nice as well. Easier clean up and you can use it as a cook top.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Did you get the drip pan as well? I kept going back and forth on the Slow n Sear, but I think this year I will get it. Like I said above, I usually just cover the charcoal grate with foil, but the drip pan looks nice as well. Easier clean up and you can use it as a cook top.
I don't have the drip pan, it wasn't available when I bought my Slow n Sear. I actually didn't even know it existed until a few minutes ago! I just put one of those aluminum pans under the meat to catch the drippings. Not a perfect fit, but works fine.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Nice set up...have you considered using lump charcoal rather than briquettes....just charcoal, no binders. Lazzari is pretty widely distributed....Trader Joes even has a house brand they carry.

http://www.lazzari.com/index.html

I like the hickory for smoking and mesquite for grilling.....
Read this, everything you want to know about lump vs. briquettes:

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...rcoal-made-and
Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 PM

From a few weeks ago on my weber.

Used lump charcoal. Like saddles it seems you find a favourite charcoal and then it's gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180602_151440-1080x1080.jpg (159.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:00 AM

I enjoy smoking ribs, shoulders and briskets. I've been using a green mountain pellet grill the last few years. Upgrading to a Pitts&Spitts pellet grill...the plc controller will be more reliable and stable.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 AM

Bought a BGE last year.

Smoked some chicken, tofu...made pizzas and reverse seared a tomahawk T-bone for my birthday.

I'd like to do ribs later this summer too.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:22 AM
n - 1

Quote:
I don't have the drip pan, it wasn't available when I bought my Slow n Sear. I actually didn't even know it existed until a few minutes ago! I just put one of those aluminum pans under the meat to catch the drippings. Not a perfect fit, but works fine.
I probably won't get the drip pan. I read some reviews. Some say it warps if you use it as a cook top. I am looking forward to the Slow n sear, though. I'll get one with the mesh bottom so it helps with clean up.

Anyone got some suggestions for favorite rubs, whether store bought or DIY? I've been just using salt and pepper for everything.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I probably won't get the drip pan. I read some reviews. Some say it warps if you use it as a cook top. I am looking forward to the Slow n sear, though. I'll get one with the mesh bottom so it helps with clean up.

Anyone got some suggestions for favorite rubs, whether store bought or DIY? I've been just using salt and pepper for everything.
I've used a bunch of recipes from this site: https://amazingribs.com and been very happy with the results.

There's lots of ads and other crap, but some informative articles and recipes for rubs, sauce, etc.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:30 PM

RE: lump vs. briquette charcoal. Consumer Reports just did a comparison test of regular Kingsford and lump. DO NOT get easy-light charcoal or use lighter fluid. On the regular stuff they found briquettes much easier to arrange for uniform heat. The lump stuff burns hotter. Briquettes burn hot enough for all uses except charring THIN steaks and chops if you wanted to keep the centers rare. In that case the extra heat of lump would be better. There could be a 50F increase in heat from briquettes to lump charcoal.
I usually use briquettes because I buy Kingsford so cheap at COSTCO and it's easier to arrange in my Weber. I don't grill thin cuts so I don't need any extra heat.
When I used a kamado egg years ago I never got my steaks charred enough to suit me because the coals were so far down from the cooking grill so lump might have been a good idea. OTOH the Cornish game hens I cooked in that egg were yummy!
Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM

My biggest thing I have yet to perfect is brisket. Everyone says to pull them when the internal hits 200, but even with the thermapen, its still tough. I noticed that letting it go to 215 is a bit better.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:04 PM
n - 1

Quote:
I've used a bunch of recipes from this site: https://amazingribs.com and been very happy with the results.

There's lots of ads and other crap, but some informative articles and recipes for rubs, sauce, etc.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
My biggest thing I have yet to perfect is brisket. Everyone says to pull them when the internal hits 200, but even with the thermapen, its still tough. I noticed that letting it go to 215 is a bit better.
I don't think I've had one come out less than perfect. Even with a super cheap smoker. Do you wrap it half way through? You may want to do that, if it's coming out tough. Either foil or paper. Although I've done it without wrapping and it's still juicy and tender. Make sure to let it rest for an hour or two.

You could also inject and/or baste throughout the smoke.

Of course, way you cut it is critical as well.

Couple of good youtube channels, howtobbqright and few FranklinBBQ vids were helpful.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 PM

Swaddle and rest is the best! Double wrap tightly and add a little jus about 2/3 thru or at about 150F. At 200F pull it, put it in an Igloo cooler to hold and rest. Don't be tempted, just let it rest for 3-4hrs or when the temp is about 140-145.

Temps are only a guideline, pit masters can tell when brisket is done by how it jiggles. And great tip above about cutting, seperate the point/flat and make sure you cut against grain. Salt/pepper the point to make some burnt ends and stick them back on the smoker.

Read this, it may change your mind on hot and fast!

http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/the-white-rabbit/

Mike

Last edited by Wilkinson4; 06-14-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM

I have one of these: https://www.chargriller.com/collecti...okin-pro-e1224 for the money probably the best cooking device I've ever owned.

Bought it years ago and actually have had to replace the fire box on it. I love smoking in the spring summer and fall. As Angry says " nothing better than a sunny Sunday when you get up early, fire up the smoker, and have to sit around and tend it and drink beers all day. "
Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How often do you have to add more chips or can you just put in a bunch at the beginning and leave it alone for hours?
If you soak them good in water beforehand, about once every 4 hours. For most things I smoke, it's just once in the middle.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:14 PM

Chicken Thighs in a muffin pan

After a 12 hour season I did 8 thighs in the new smoker today with royal oak and some mulberry chunk. Put them in a muffin pan and 275 for 5 hours.
This in my favorite cut of the bird as it stays moist. Did a citrus rub and they turned out great.
I still have a lot to learn on the new smoker but it sure did turn out some great tasting bird today.
I will be hanging four 1/2 chickens tomorrow with some cherry chunk from a tree that fell in the yard and few links of my home made lamb sausage.