Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 AM

occasionally. Just finished helping a buddy compete in a texas BBQ cookoff, which was a blast.

I don't take it to that extreme, but love to smoke and grill.

here's a little ham:

and a turkey breast: (sitting on a fosters)

this weekend, more grill than smoke:

Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I use a Weber Kettle, even for 10-12 hr brisket smokes. It’s been pretty much set and forget, but I sometimes have to add some coal towards the end of the smoke. Temps fluctuate between 230-280, but I have been able to get the vents set to keep it high or lower in that range. I thought about getting a dedicated smoker but Weber does just fine for me. I may pick up a Slow n Sear this year, which should just add more consistency to this grill.
Youre saying you only have to refill the coals once or twice for 10-12 hours?? Which Weber is this? I need this magic item. I usually am lighting new coals every hour.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Webber has a smoker, the Weber Bullet
Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Youre saying you only have to refill the coals once or twice for 10-12 hours?? Which Weber is this? I need this magic item. I usually am lighting new coals every hour.
Just a Weber Kettle Premium 22". The key is vent control. Keep the lower and upper vents just slightly cracked (adjust for ambient temp). I pile the charcoal on one side, similar to this:

Light 5-6 charcoal and place them to one side (not the middle). Usually good for hours. Don't forget that pan to block out the incoming air from the bottom vent. I also wrap the charcoal grate with foil (except under the charcoal) to control the air flow better and get more smoke to the meat.

You can also try the Snake method:

Also look at Slow n Sear. Seems like it'd be more efficient.

Last edited by p nut; 06-13-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_len1 View Post
Been using this guy for several years:
https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...ectric+smokers

Makes great meat, that's about all I have to say. I mostly do pork, but I need to give brisket a shot at some point.
How often do you have to add more chips or can you just put in a bunch at the beginning and leave it alone for hours?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How often do you have to add more chips or can you just put in a bunch at the beginning and leave it alone for hours?
You shouldn't add chips / chunks the whole time you smoke. You don't want too add too much anyways because you will make your meat bitter. Meat stops absorbing smoke early on in the cook.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Latelateguy

I have the Camp Chef woodwind and have been getting great results after switching from a Komodo. It’s dummy proof. Actually burns more pellets grilling chicken on high then smoking ribs 8 hours. I’m sure Yoder, etc are nicer but this does the job for less if $ at all a factor.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Just a Weber Kettle Premium 22". The key is vent control. Keep the lower and upper vents just slightly cracked (adjust for ambient temp). I pile the charcoal on one side, similar to this:

Light 5-6 charcoal and place them to one side (not the middle). Usually good for hours. Don't forget that pan to block out the incoming air from the bottom vent. I also wrap the charcoal grate with foil (except under the charcoal) to control the air flow better and get more smoke to the meat.

What he said. While smoking on the Weber, a load of charcoal can easily last 6-8 hours, as it burns really slow. Once it's going, you keep the bottom vent just cracked and the top vent then gives you your temp control, but it's generally at least 3/4 closed. With the Slow n Sear, you light a couple briquettes on one side, then fill the rest. And as mentioned, you only want smoke from chips for the first hour or 2.

You can achieve similar results with some strategically placed bricks as well.

Hear is what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slow n Sear.jpg (20.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
man, i love smoked food.

i have a pretty basic charcoal smoker, and use it a regularly in the summer, but i do not consider myself very good at it. i'll be watching this thread for inspiration and tips/tricks!

the best part about the smoker is how long it takes for me. nothing better than a sunny sunday when you get up early, fire up the smoker, and have to sit around and tend it and drink beers all day.

"do you want to go to the mall?"........"nope, i gotta stay here and watch the smoker, and drink beer"
A man after my own heart. Drinking beer and smokin meat. It's getting to be a lost art.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Does adding non-pre-lit coals give off a weird flavor? I was under the impression they should be ashed over before adding them to the smoker.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Does adding non-pre-lit coals give off a weird flavor? I was under the impression they should be ashed over before adding them to the smoker.
For traditional grilling, I think you're right they should be ashed over. For smoking, that's not possible or desirable. I should add that you want to make sure you use high quality charcoal with no additives or fillers. That's probably where any weird flavors come from.

No Matchlight!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:

Nice set up...have you considered using lump charcoal rather than briquettes....just charcoal, no binders. Lazzari is pretty widely distributed....Trader Joes even has a house brand they carry.

http://www.lazzari.com/index.html

I like the hickory for smoking and mesquite for grilling.....
Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
For traditional grilling, I think you're right they should be ashed over. For smoking, that's not possible or desirable. I should add that you want to make sure you use high quality charcoal with no additives or fillers. That's probably where any weird flavors come from.

No Matchlight!
Cool. I have been using the Royal Oak lump coals but it seems like its mostly tiny pieces. Not sure how if it would act as expected.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM

I believe pretty much any type smoker can produce great results from a person with a handle on the fundamentals and enough experience with a particular type of smoker.

I really like offset fire box, reverse flow smokers (I'm most familiar with Lang 48") with properly cured hickory and sometimes some fruit wood. But, that's not the most practical setup at the home I have now so it would be nice to figure out how to get back into regularly smoking at home. It's a trade off for sure. I absolutely love the results, but having your phone alarm wake you up at 2:30a to throw a few more sticks in the fire box sometimes sucks. And my "sleep through the alarm" rate is not great.

My dad is a competent welder and we've been talking about building a reverse flow rig with plans from smokerplans.net. It's just not something that is easily installed or removed and I don't really want a small trailer parked in my small back yard.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Nice set up...have you considered using lump charcoal rather than briquettes....just charcoal, no binders. Lazzari is pretty widely distributed....Trader Joes even has a house brand they carry.

http://www.lazzari.com/index.html

I like the hickory for smoking and mesquite for grilling.....
I haven't yet, but been meaning to. I usually see Royal Oak where I'm at, but I did notice Whole Foods also had their own brand "365". I'll have to give them a shot this summer. I've been meaning to try my hand at a boston butt on the 4th, so I'll need to stock up on charcoal anyway.

I usually use hickory, but I acquired some cherry and apricot from my father in law, which have both worked out well. Alder for fish.