Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 12:11 PM
litcrazy

Affordable steel forks

Hello,
I'm a believer in steel forks for road, gravel and mountain.
I've enjoyed the Rivendell Carbonomas on my ti road bike and a Black Mountain Monster Cross fork on my steel cross/gravel bike.
I recently bought an old Wily 29er and was amazed how much more compliant its fork is versus a Salsa Chromoto Fork.

So my question is, what are the nicest (with a bias towards compliance) options for reasonable steel forks?

Rivendell has moved all there Carbonomas. Are there any options beyond Soma? If not, does anyone do custom road/gravel forks for $300 or less?
Old 05-31-2022, 12:19 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

All City? I've used repurposed/painted Soma and Kona too.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:22 PM
Vendor

Endpoint comes to mind: https://www.endpoint.bike/collection...rch-light-fork
Old 05-31-2022, 12:53 PM

At the risk of being "advertising", you can email me at mjolnir.cycles@yahoo.com and we can talk details.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:53 PM

Andy Gilmour in Tucson.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:59 PM
Administrator

I have one of the Tange infinity ones on my Ti bike and like it. For the cost, they ride well IMO.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:02 PM

Maybe Marinoni? Give them a call, their prices are very reasonable.
Not sure how much Waterford would run, probably a little more than $300, but worth a call to them as well.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:15 PM

Check out Soma Fabrication, they have a bunch of steel forks starting at like $160 and go up to $230 or so! Good Luck!

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/cat...road-steel-771
Old 05-31-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litcrazy View Post
Hello,
I'm a believer in steel forks for road, gravel and mountain.
I've enjoyed the Rivendell Carbonomas on my ti road bike and a Black Mountain Monster Cross fork on my steel cross/gravel bike.
I recently bought an old Wily 29er and was amazed how much more compliant its fork is versus a Salsa Chromoto Fork.

So my question is, what are the nicest (with a bias towards compliance) options for reasonable steel forks?

Rivendell has moved all there Carbonomas. Are there any options beyond Soma? If not, does anyone do custom road/gravel forks for $300 or less?
Love steel forks and ride a lot of rigid.

Short of it IMHO is that stock or custom production forks fare better for road and gravel. You can still get a fork with feel.

For steel mountain forks, if it is not custom built for you, it has to be built to take abuse from someone of any size, so they tend to be very overbuilt and often dead feeling. Never met a stock or custom production steel mountain fork I liked, Vicious included. Love my Vicious off the shelf cross fork, but the mountain ones I have are just too overbuilt.

Best value in custom forks IMHO is Joel at Clockwork and I have a number of forks, stems and frames built by him. All excellent. You can likely get out the door for around $300 or so depending on config as forks start at $250.

http://www.clockworkbikes.com/options.php
Old 05-31-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
At the risk of being "advertising", you can email me at mjolnir.cycles@yahoo.com and we can talk details.
Dave has built me three custom forks over the years. All have been exactly what was ordered and each not remotely available "off-the-peg". Highly recommended.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:17 PM

Stock All-City canti brake fork has been a nice smooth ride. I meant to pick up one of those Riv forks a few months ago for a road build, but missed out (anyone selling one??). For MTB, check out the Mone biplane fork. I've heard good things, and have been eyeing it up for my rigid 29er. Agree with others, especially for stock steel MTB forks.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:56 PM

Waltworks should fit the bill as well -- a bit above your stated price, but extremely high-quality and with a range of off-road-centric features (suspension-adjusted, disc-ready, etc) in case that matters
Old 06-01-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
do you make a fork for a classic 90's mountain bike 26" v brakes, 1" steer tube? I am running a soma and it looks bad.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
do you make a fork for a classic 90's mountain bike 26" v brakes, 1" steer tube? I am running a soma and it looks bad.
Lost me at "v brakes". Never liked them, don't build them. But... I could send you toward Igleheart or Ahearne for such, both custom builders that would do justice to what you're looking for.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:28 PM
litcrazy

Thanks...

Thanks for the ideas. It looks like some nice custom options are available. Tempting.

Tags
forks, steel