Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Cyclist shot in SC...

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/sc...DGK5PBUBQTTRE/

Does anyone have any intel on this story? It's crazy out there.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:56 PM

heard about this the other day....sounds like "wrong place, wrong time" and involved a crazy person. Random violence is a terrible and scary thing.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:59 PM

Seems to be the case -- the cyclist was talking to 911 and they heard the shots. Shooter was supposedly known to people in the area as troubled.
Shooter was found and killed by police less than 15 mins after the cyclist was shot. Terrible story.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:24 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Unhappy

Very unfortunate. Sounds like they may have known each other.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:52 PM

I do not mean this to be political but what makes my blood boil is the inability of the FBI to check mental health records. Form 4473 is filled out by the gun buyer and they check off whether they beat their wife, do drugs, are mentally ill, etc. Basically, it is upon the honor of the applicant. Of course, it is a felony to lie but plenty do lie, especially drug and alcohol abusers.

From what I read, the killer in this case was considered to be mentally ill.

I try to avoid and go the other way from confrontation on the roads.

This is just senseless. Insanity.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 PM

Your rights being limited by your mental illness rating is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I do not mean this to be political but what makes my blood boil is the inability of the FBI to check mental health records. Form 4473 is filled out by the gun buyer and they check off whether they beat their wife, do drugs, are mentally ill, etc. Basically, it is upon the honor of the applicant. Of course, it is a felony to lie but plenty do lie, especially drug and alcohol abusers.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
The right to own a firearm is already limited by law, there just isn't any means for law enforcement to verify it.....it being not mentally ill. The tick box is on the honor system. This is how people like the killer in this case often get guns. They lie.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The right to own a firearm is already limited by law, there just isn't any means for law enforcement to verify it.....it being not mentally ill. The tick box is on the honor system. This is how people like the killer in this case often get guns. They lie.
wait, you live in NJ like me no?

to get my FID card, i had to provide references which were contacted if i recall before it was issued. i guess you could fake that part, but it's something.

in NJ, you cant even buy bullets or a BB gun legally without an FID card.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:40 PM

This is very close to where I used to work. I’m retired now and live about 30 miles north. This is a very urban area. A lot to f cyclist in Greenville. Some are not courteous but the s sounds like they knew each other. I’m out of town now but will try to gather so info when I return. Tragic.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
wait, you live in NJ like me no?

to get my FID card, i had to provide references which were contacted if i recall before it was issued. i guess you could fake that part, but it's something.

in NJ, you cant even buy bullets or a BB gun legally without an FID card.
Form 4473 is the one you check off all the boxes and is when the FFL calls it into the FBI. This is done with every firearm purchase all over the USA.

The FID card in NJ is a one time deal. Mine is pretty old. It is just an ID that lets you purchase a firearm in NJ. They did call my references. NJ's approach is far better than most other states. Let's say my card is 20 years old. Let's say I developed a mental illness since then. There is no linkages for law enforcement to act. My simplistic explanation of my meaning should not be construed as some panacea, it is more complicated. Known crazy people should not have guns. This is a known problem and there are never any solutions.

I had the honor of being a FID reference for a fine young man who serves in DC. It was odd to get the questions from law enforcement about someone so close to you know who at the top. But, he had to go thru the same process as you and I to get that deer shotgun. My cousin was a decorated sniper, wounded three times, got awards from Bush at the WH. He went thru the same process.

I just do not understand why medical records should be exempt from review when someone wants a gun. It is like the third rail.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Form 4473 is the one you check off all the boxes and is when the FFL calls it into the FBI. This is done with every firearm purchase all over the USA.

The FID card in NJ is a one time deal. Mine is pretty old. It is just an ID that lets you purchase a firearm in NJ. They did call my references. NJ's approach is far better than most other states. Let's say my card is 20 years old. Let's say I developed a mental illness since then. There is no linkages for law enforcement to act. My simplistic explanation of my meaning should not be construed as some panacea, it is more complicated. Known crazy people should not have guns. This is a known problem and there are never any solutions.

I had the honor of being a FID reference for a fine young man who serves in DC. It was odd to get the questions from law enforcement about someone so close to you know who at the top. But, he had to go thru the same process as you and I to get that deer shotgun. My cousin was a decorated sniper, wounded three times, got awards from Bush at the WH. He went thru the same process.

I just do not understand why medical records should be exempt from review when someone wants a gun. It is like the third rail.
very good points that i had not considered. i agree with you. thank you.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:34 PM

As someone who lives in NJ and wants a firearm - this was a serendipitous thread to hop on. Thanks for the insight guys.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Only if purchased from a licensed dealer.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

I agree. I always wonder(a lot these days), the circumstances around how the person GOT the gun. The 4473 is kinda a joke and even tho many probably shouldn't be allowed to get a gun, they do anyway. Many states still do no background check, face to face sales.
plus
Quote:
As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question 11. e. on ATF Form 4473. ... So according to the BATFE, if you use marijuana, you can't legally ship, transport, receive or possess firearms or ammunition.
Yes, many, many 'normal' people who own guns(I'm one of them as are my sons) but there are many guns out there and many people who probably shouldn't own one. I have no idea how to change that.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Only if you have a mental illness.
Closed Thread