Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 02:18 PM
v a n i l l a

OT: starlink satellites

Anyone else see them? Last few nights weren’t visible but Friday did see them zoom past around 9:20p

Old 05-10-2021, 03:34 PM

Kinda Cool and kind of creepy all at the same time.

Who woulda thought there are 1,500 of them up there.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:35 PM
Riding Along

Yup....we even found a way to pollute the night sky.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Yup....we even found a way to pollute the night sky.
This.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:18 PM

Yeah there is an app that tracks starlink and most of the other 8000 manmade objects that are currently orbiting the Earth. My boy loves anything space related so we've run outside to catch it whizzing by a bunch of times.

I hope the same people who complain about satellites polluting the skies aren't subscribing to cable TV, or ever utilizing GPS, or check weather forecasts, or use ATM's, or need telephone service in remote areas, cause you know......that'd be a little hypocritical
Old 05-10-2021, 04:36 PM

yes but

is it traditional infrastructure? if it ain't traditional then I hate it. and the owner of the company smokes weed too.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:28 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Yeah there is an app that tracks starlink and most of the other 8000 manmade objects that are currently orbiting the Earth. My boy loves anything space related so we've run outside to catch it whizzing by a bunch of times.

I hope the same people who complain about satellites polluting the skies aren't subscribing to cable TV, or ever utilizing GPS, or check weather forecasts, or use ATM's, or need telephone service in remote areas, cause you know......that'd be a little hypocritical
I am the one complaining and I do use those services. The vast vast majority of satellites are in high or geostationary orbits. Starlink is a huge constellation in a lower orbit and are highly visible after sunset and before sunrise. It’s not always an all or nothing position, things are nuanced.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:32 PM

i hate em

This time of year is my favorite time to get out and use my telescope - this is galaxy season, mostly around Leo. Those damn starlinks are everywhere. super easy to spot now. My astrophotography friends are despondent.

I like the idea on paper, and an employee is digging the bandwith he gets at his cabin, but i'm not at all happy about it, nor at Musk for his con job, again.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:19 PM

Which app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
My 8yo would dig it as well.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post

Here ya go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2021, 10:31 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post
Another cool thing is the sites that identify the aircraft you see flying above you at night, where they're coming from and where they're going.

https://planefinder.net/

https://www.flightradar24.com
Old 05-10-2021, 10:47 PM

are you sure that pic isn’t the ones from the May 4 launch moving to their final orbit? If you saw them on Friday May 7.

As described for this past launch: https://www.space.com/spacex-starlin...ity-guide.html

Edit: yes I think it was them https://journalstar.com/news/local/s...6cfa7b6a5.html

Once they get to their final orbit they won’t look like that

Last edited by coffeecherrypie; 05-10-2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I am the one complaining and I do use those services. The vast vast majority of satellites are in high or geostationary orbits. Starlink is a huge constellation in a lower orbit and are highly visible after sunset and before sunrise. It’s not always an all or nothing position, things are nuanced.
The thing about high satellites is they deliver pretty ****ty internet
Old 05-10-2021, 11:39 PM

Im intrigued. We have 2 service providers here and the new spot were moving to is only serviced by 1, Hughes net which isnt the greatest. I think viasat *might* service the new house but I kind of doubt it if the local people dont.

I wish there was a way to see if starlink covers the area without agreeing to the privacy policy and seemingly committing to buying.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Im intrigued. We have 2 service providers here and the new spot were moving to is only serviced by 1, Hughes net which isnt the greatest. I think viasat *might* service the new house but I kind of doubt it if the local people dont.

I wish there was a way to see if starlink covers the area without agreeing to the privacy policy and seemingly committing to buying.
Just go sign up. I did it back in February and got my kit a couple of weeks ago. It works. They will send yor stuff when it will work in your location. Some minor problems with brief outages for seconds maybe a few times per day. But I’m on the edge of full coverage until a few more sats are up.

If you live in an area that is unserved or underserved, Starlink is wonderful. I’ve been on a hotspot the last year. Soon I can let that go and use Starlink as primary and tether off my phone as backup. Not that I plan to need backup but for emergencies.