Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
If you can find one with KDSS, it's well worth it.
V8 is bulletproof, will need a timing belt change around 100k, so take that into consideration on cost.
Lifetime vehicle for your use.
Interesting to hear you praise the KDSS. In circles I run in everyone seems to bemoan they're existence.

Great tip on the timing belt change. Best and most surefire way to destroy any "new to you" purchase
Old 05-29-2020, 01:24 PM

+2 on avoiding KDSS. Not that it's any more unreliable than other air suspensions, as azrider said: just another thing to break.

I find this to be the most accurate and unbiased review of the GX. Other Youtube reviewers (mainly Millennials) lambast that lack of tech and miss the reason for this vehicle's existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCO3EC1fSU
Old 05-29-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Picked this up a few months ago...AKA Land Cruiser Prado in areas other than North America.

We had an '06 GX470 we bought off lease back in 2009, put 100k miles on it, and had to do nothing over those 100k miles except a set of tires and a few oil changes. Most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. This 2020 has the same DNA as our old 2006. Down to the manual rear hatch and an interior that, while extremely comfortable and classy, hasn't changed much in 15 years.

For this iteration...

Pros: ancient tech, proven mechanicals and under stressed motor = reliability.
Cons: ancient tech, horrible fuel economy and a HIDEOUS front grill. Thank god I don't have to look at it while driving

Finally, because of the upright stance and greenhouse windows, visibility is amazing. It's every bit as good as my old Range Rovers, except this thing won't leave me stranded on the side of the road 4 times (ask me how I know)....
I love the Lexus grills. We asked Toyota for years to make weird stuff, and they answered. Agree it's not necessarily fitting with the aesthetic of the SUV, but I think it totally works on stuff like the RC-F.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:38 PM
DELETE ACCNT

It's a great system. 200 series has KDSS as well.
With all due respect, the reliability on the GX is stellar. They are mechanically simple, and designed to be easily worked on.
I don't know why you would say the GX is maintenance heavy. I'm very familiar with them and I've never heard that.

I've had no issue with Lexus parts prices being more expensive than Toyota. Usually, they are comparable if there is a Toyota equivalent.

If you're modding, lifting than yes, kdss and airbags will limit you somewhat but as a stock to lightly modded form, I would highly recommend kdss.
KDSS is brilliantly simple.

cv boots leak when the truck is lifted because of the angle and increased articulation out of oem range.
Any issues are minor and compared to any other comparable suv, I would consider the GX trouble-free.

Honestly, just get the best GX in your budget. They are all the same as far as the core mechanicals- meaning that they are all solid reliable, designed to be high mileage, durable ladder frame suv's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Sounds to me you're in the market for an LX and not GX.

But don't get me wrong, the GX's are great. They can be maintenance heavy but if you keep up with that they'll last forever. Because of the emblem you might pay premium in parts but 90% of time Toyo parts will get job done.

CV boots are known to always leak and cause issues, transfer case actuator o rings are known to leak, and their rear suspension with air bag shocks are pretty bad.

Also, get one without KDSS system. It's a hydraulic system that is supposed to help with handling up front but it's just one more system that can fail (and leak). Pretty sure they're most prevalent on 04-09 models.

Exhuast manifolds are another known issue.....and if you ever test drive one, make sure you have transmission shop give the drive train a once over. A lot of these 4x trucks are owned by folks who never take them off road........which is fine, but just because you don't use it doesn't mean you still shouldn't keep up with maintenance.

plus I think '05 and newer added VVTI.......which is niiiiiiice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Interesting to hear you praise the KDSS. In circles I run in everyone seems to bemoan they're existence.

Great tip on the timing belt change. Best and most surefire way to destroy any "new to you" purchase
Old 05-29-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, the reliability on the GX is stellar. They are mechanically simple, and designed to be easily worked on.
I don't know why you would say the GX is maintenance heavy. I'm very familiar with them and I've never heard that.

Honestly, just get the best GX in your budget. They are all the same as far as the core mechanicals- meaning that they are all solid reliable, designed to be high mileage, durable ladder frame suv's.
Agree 100%....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-05-29 11.51.31.jpg (41.7 KB, 255 views)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
It's a great system. 200 series has KDSS as well.

I've had no issue with Lexus parts prices being more expensive than Toyota. Usually, they are comparable if there is a Toyota equivalent.

If you're modding, lifting than yes, kdss and airbags will limit you somewhat but as a stock to lightly modded form, I would highly recommend kdss.
KDSS is brilliantly simple.

cv boots leak when the truck is lifted because of the angle and increased articulation out of oem range.
Any issues are minor and compared to any other comparable suv, I would consider the GX trouble-free.

I'm sorry, instead of saying "heavy" I should have used the word "proper". By that I mean just keeping up proper timing of maintenance and proper parts. I certainly don't think I was discounting or knocking their longevity and in fact said "they'll last forever."

I owned a Lexus is300 SportX and I ran into the price fluctuation of Toyo/Lex parts. Cool to hear it's not applicable for these.

My comments about KDSS are from the heavy research I did prior to buying my 4x truck, and from previous owners who've since switched platforms.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:03 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Your GX has kdss as standard equipment, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
+2 on avoiding KDSS. Not that it's any more unreliable than other air suspensions, as azrider said: just another thing to break.

I find this to be the most accurate and unbiased review of the GX. Other Youtube reviewers (mainly Millennials) lambast that lack of tech and miss the reason for this vehicle's existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCO3EC1fSU
Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 PM

What a nostalgic thread. The first vehicle I ever owned was a ‘72 FJ40. Bought it for $3,200 in 1992 and drove it for 4 years all over southern British Columbia. Doors and hardtop came off in April and went back on in October. I put on new tires (31s salvaged from a wrecked 4Runner) and welded a steel plate to the rusted driver’s side floorboard to keep the seat from falling through. Sold it (for $3,200) when I moved away to university in 1996. I’ve been half-heartedly looking for a replacement ever since.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 PM
what's a little rust?

Not that it matters, but are there aftermarket grill kits for the Lexus SUVs? As my handle indicates, I'm used to somewhat modular vehicles.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Not on the 1st Gen GX. It's actually somewhat rare and challenging to find. It isn't on our GX. I was originally looking for KDSS, but this one popped up in the right colors, with the right miles, and at the right price. My SO didn't care about KDSS, so we ended up with one that didn't have it.

Texbike
Old 05-29-2020, 02:12 PM

I screen grabbed Radavist’s new HJ75 a few weeks ago.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:23 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I thought all GX460's after 2010+ had KDSS standard. I thought all LC200's as well.
Yeah it's not a dealbreaker by any means, but I really like it. I, personally, would seek it out if I were getting a GX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Not on the 1st Gen GX. It's actually somewhat rare and challenging to find. It isn't on our GX. I was originally looking for KDSS, but this one popped up in the right colors, with the right miles, and at the right price. My SO didn't care about KDSS, so we ended up with one that didn't have it.

Texbike
Old 05-29-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I thought all GX460's after 2010+ had KDSS standard. I thought all LC200's as well.
Yeah it's not a dealbreaker by any means, but I really like it. I, personally, would seek it out if I were getting a GX.
I'm not sure about the 460s or the 200s. I'm only familiar with the availability on the GX470s. Sorry!

Texbike
Old 05-29-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Ours is the mid-level "Premium" trim that lacks KDSS. Got 12% off MSRP without too much of a fight and it was on the dealer's lot...bought the thing in 15 minutes.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:57 PM
chp.qa

'14 LC. Love it.