Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Which Black Mountain Cycles for my next commuter?

Eventually I'm going to need to stop commuting on my really fancy bikes (moving rural to urban in a year), and I'll need a commuter. Fenders and easy carry of a change of clothes and lunch on the bike is key. Help me think through which Black Mountain Cycles I want. I like the classic road, Road+, and MCD. Here's my thinking:

1. BMC Road:
Pros: Cheapest to build because of softness in the market for rim brake parts, probably the quickest and most roadie-ish to ride. The road is basically where the commute would be. Also doubles as a rain road bike for when I can't bring myself to ride my fancy fendered rando bike in the rain (ridiculous but true).
Cons: Incrementally less comfy, not built for front rack load, wheels are the rim brake ecosystem where I don't really have spares right now.

2. BMC Road+
Pros: Not overkill in tire size for road riding, disc is good for wheel compatibility, built for front rack. Basically does what I like about my other bikes but I could lock it up without as much worry.
Cons: Lots of overlap with my other two bikes- I have a skinny-ish 650b/700c disc brake roadie in titanium and a 700c steel rim brake rando bike.

3. MCD:
Pros: Actually addresses a use case I don't already have covered, which is rides on thick chunder fire roads and singletrack. My 650b is really a road bike that doesn't care about fine gravel, but isn't as good when it's really rough.
Cons: Geometry not as good for a front bag as the Road+, which is a big plus for a dedicated commuter. Swapping tires for a road-only commute to fire road riding seems less likely than I'd think.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Meh

Road+ all the way

I posted my example in the Production Bikes gallery. It’s perfect for NorCal commuting. The extra tire width is always appreciated when dealing with our “roads” in the winter. Bike is super smooth, and I never worry about road conditions or weather.

As far other two choices go, my personal opinion is that the road bike doesn’t allow large enough tires, and the geo of the MCD for me is not really suitable for distance commuting. Both are nice frames for the price though.

The only drawback I see is the weight increase compared to the rim brake frames that he sells. I guess the tubing and fork had to be beefed up to handle the braking forces. I just think of it as good training.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:04 PM

if it will help you decide,
54,56 and 58 road frames are on sale right now

"Due to a slightly lower rear brake cable stop on the most recent production run affecting only 54cm, 56cm, and 58cm frames, mounting a full-sized frame pump may be inhibited. Therefore, I’ve decided to reduce the price of all Road frames to $550 down from $595."
Old 02-16-2019, 06:29 PM

I'd go for one of the Monstercross versions. Lots of room for big tires (I can get 45mm tires on my V4 MC.) I find 38-40mm tires perfect for commuting. And with SKS 45mm fenders, I can still rum 38mm tires wit room to spare.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
I'd go for one of the Monstercross versions. Lots of room for big tires (I can get 45mm tires on my V4 MC.) I find 38-40mm tires perfect for commuting. And with SKS 45mm fenders, I can still rum 38mm tires wit room to spare.
Yes!

I run GK 32's under my VO fenders and could easily go to 38's.

FWIW I run panniers on the front rack with a Swift bag and all plays nicely.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
As far other two choices go, my personal opinion is that the road bike doesn’t allow large enough tires, and the geo of the MCD for me is not really suitable for distance commuting. Both are nice frames for the price though.
Yep, you've got my use case pegged. I want it to ride like a road bike because it's fairly long, 95% paved commute. It's over lots of broken, screwed up pavement so big tires are a help. Plus I'm all about the front rack bag to carry my stuff.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:44 AM

If it were me I would ask Mike. Varley is the best guy ever, has ridden all three and knows a boat load about cyclists needs. You can't go wrong no matter what you choose.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Yep, you've got my use case pegged. I want it to ride like a road bike because it's fairly long, 95% paved commute. It's over lots of broken, screwed up pavement so big tires are a help. Plus I'm all about the front rack bag to carry my stuff.
My MC rides like a road bike. I'll typically carry 10 pounds on the front rack with no negative effect on handling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1524(1).jpg (139.4 KB, 547 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Lee View Post
If it were me I would ask Mike. Varley is the best guy ever, has ridden all three and knows a boat load about cyclists needs. You can't go wrong no matter what you choose.
Well obviously I already know the answer but why do people start threads like this in the winter?

Need the “Talk amongst yourselves” gif now.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Whatever color frameset you like best, never mind the model, just go with that one.

So happens I'm building up a MC canti in the new "signal yellow".

Best. Color. Ever!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:44 PM

Wasn't his Porsche olive the best color ever?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
My MC rides like a road bike. I'll typically carry 10 pounds on the front rack with no negative effect on handling.
I have that same frame. Just awesome. So is the road rim brake tho. I have a 56cm road frameset in 9/10 condition that needs a rider and save you a bit of money if it fits.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:58 AM

I have one of the older road frames I bought from another member here and I love it. It's my only road bike and I commute on it sometimes. I ride 32c tires and those soak up the bad roads I commute on. I only carry minimal stuff in a Burrito supreme bag up front but it rides great. I have been eyeing those other 2 frames as well, can't justify another bike at the moment though. You can't go wrong, enjoy.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 PM

IMG_4942r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 10-11-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
the geo of the MCD for me is not really suitable for distance commuting.
Can you explain/unpack this?