Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Quick realease full coverage fenders - do they exist?

I have Honjo fenders that I am not in love with. I am perfectly happy with SKS plastic ones, but for one thing:

I want them to be easily removeable so that I can pop them on and off within ten minutes. I only want full coverage commuter fenders, as this bike will double as an offroad adventure bike.

I believe that Bontrager once made fenders that had a quick release mechanism that connected to the wheel skewer front and rear, but they don't seem to exist now. If they did, were they any good and are they worth hunting a pair down somewhere to try out?

Any other suggestions? No clip on seatpost mount ones - I live in the PNW and its wet here!
Old 02-15-2019, 04:41 PM

The pdw full metal fender comes off in 3/4 bolts.

Front fender is crown mount and fender mounts (2)

Rear is bridge mount. Fender mounts (2) and chainstay.

Might be more like 15 mins to put back on but 10 to get em off
Old 02-15-2019, 05:53 PM
Byron

Here is the only thing I could find for quick release fenders.
They don't meet your needs or mine for PNW riding.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cycle-mudguard
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 PM

Yes, those wont work

As for the PDW or SKS ones, I suppose that I need to up my skills so that this changeovers dont take so long. I just like setting and forgetting, but that isn't possible if I am asking for a quick release fender!
Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 PM

I believe these are QR front and rear..

https://www.amazon.com/SKS-Raceblade...eation&sr=1-11

I'm fairly certain they are axle mounted and then have a QR for the fender part.

They may not be wide enough for the tire size though.

Unfortunate about the honjo, I had thought that they'd be robust enough to do anything with.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
The pdw full metal fender comes off in 3/4 bolts.

Front fender is crown mount and fender mounts (2)

Rear is bridge mount. Fender mounts (2) and chainstay.

Might be more like 15 mins to put back on but 10 to get em off
^this^ .... full coverage fenders are already QR especially if ur frame has braze-on mounts...10-15 mins for either on or off and ur on the road.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:07 PM

Race Blade XLs or Crud Racer mudguards are quick release, but I'm not sure that they will be full enough for you....
Old 02-15-2019, 08:08 PM

Even with quick release mounted fenders you have them bolted on under the brakes and possibly even at the BB. It won’t be quick. I thought of doing this with my tricross but got the biggest fenders and tires that fit for off and on road. You learn not to kick the front one after a few mins.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
Even with quick release mounted fenders you have them bolted on under the brakes and possibly even at the BB. It won’t be quick. I thought of doing this with my tricross but got the biggest fenders and tires that fit for off and on road. You learn not to kick the front one after a few mins.
Very true. I have mine with discs and my other bike has canti with stops integrated into the frame so I dont have to take brakes off. It would be very annoying if I had to remove the brakes.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 PM

I can't believe noone's made something like this with rare earth magnets at the fender mount points. Living somewhere with very frequent weather changes and wanting to swap between on and off road during the winter, it would be so nice to be able to on and off quickly.

Check out the janky ass solution I tried a couple years ago on my old fog cutter below.

I had two sets of wheels (650b fat tire and 700c skinny) and two sets of fenders. I got double sided m5 bolts, and threaded those into the frame. The fenders slid over the bolts, then I had rare earth magnets with a hole in the middle slide over and they stayed attached given the bolts. Around the stay bridge and the bb, I had one of those reusable zap straps that went around the seat tube.

I could swap the fenders on and off in less than a minute. They worked surprisingly well, but rattled a bit.

At the end of the day was too much hassle. I've since gone to a dedicated dirt bike (Stigmata) and a dedicated winter road/all road bike where the fenders stay on year round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fd7273172310128a905453b865fc2849.jpg (149.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:15 PM

10 minutes?

Assuming you've got eyelets since you're running Hondos... I just use SKS with Sheldon's Fender Nuts.

Front fender comes off / on in literally a minute. 3 bolts. Rear takes a little more due to rear wheel removal as my chainstay bridge on my fender bike isn't threaded.

I wouldn't want to do it everyday, but don't mind it once in a while to get the bike in the car trunk.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:14 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
10 minutes?

Assuming you've got eyelets since you're running Hondos... I just use SKS with Sheldon's Fender Nuts.

Front fender comes off / on in literally a minute. 3 bolts. Rear takes a little more due to rear wheel removal as my chainstay bridge on my fender bike isn't threaded.

I wouldn't want to do it everyday, but don't mind it once in a while to get the bike in the car trunk.

Yup
Sheldon nuts !
Old 02-16-2019, 01:24 AM
Byron

Some good pics that backup fender solutions would go a long way in helping others make their choices.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:24 AM

+1 for SKS raceblade longs, more coverage than the XLs, and quick on/off ran them on my CAAD10 with 28s on wide rims no problem (they say 25s) . less than a minute on and off once installed, fairly unfussy.

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...de-long-black/

For even wider, "quicker" release, but less coverage, from SKS you'll have to wait (March per site) for the speed rocker, which is an allroad fender and good for bikes without seatstay bridges or qrs. I'm getting a set for my disc road when they come out

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/speedrocker/
Old 02-16-2019, 06:14 AM

With tangentially facing brake mounting points on brake bridge (like on caliper brakes) you can use Sheldon nuts front and rear as suggested. The fender either has a bracket or an L-shaped tab with one end attached to the fender and the other to attach to the bike with a mounting hole/slot. If you open up the end of that hole you can remove with 1/2 turn of the Sheldon nut. You can do this at the chain stay bridge also since there is either a tab with a hole or just open up the hole int the fender itself. Now use real stays with p-clips at the dropout mounts. So now you have 1/2 turn of each of the seven attachment points.
You can buy fender stays with p-clips from any number of suppliers for this purpose.

Another ideas: Zip ties. I've used them with SKS fenders at the fork crown, and fork dropout of a carbon fork, and also at the rear brake bridge and chain stay bridge. Worked amazingly well. Quick release for sure. Maybe not so quick install. Those days are over for me as I have permanent real fenders on those bikes, but I have no safety qualms about using zip ties like this on a temporary basis or replacing the zip ties every season.

Edit: You can use your Honjos for this-they already have the p-clips.

Last edited by marciero; 02-16-2019 at 06:20 AM.