Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 02:19 PM
all slow no go

Groupset input

Alright. I failed on my due diligence check before posting a WTB, so more research before I post again... This is mostly a brain dump to get my thoughts down before posting/hunting...

Currently have early 2000s Record 10 groupset on the bike. Still my favourite shifting feel and look, but aiming to try a more "modern" hood shape in the hopes of making my hands a bit happier.

Parameters:
  • 10 or 11 speed is fine (10 speed would save me the money of chain/cassette though)
  • "Modern" campy hood shape
  • Greatly prefer ultrashift over powershift
  • If something plays nice with my current derailleurs, that would be good, but it's likely I'll need a mini-groupset

Current thoughts - am I missing something obvious?
  • Older 10-speed "Gumby" era, eg: Centaur Ultrashift (would need shifters/derailleurs)
  • Current 11-speed grouspets (Potenza, Centaur come to mind, would need shifters/derailleurs/cassette/chain/maybe chainrings)
  • Something else in between (Athena 11, an older Chorus 11 model, would need shifters/derailleurs/cassette/chain/maybe chainrings)
Old 05-26-2020, 02:28 PM

Record or Chorus 11.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
[*]Current 11-speed grouspets (Potenza, Centaur come to mind, would need shifters/derailleurs/cassette/chain/maybe chainrings)
Potenza and Centaur are powershift!
Old 05-26-2020, 04:55 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainomo View Post
Potenza and Centaur are powershift!
Yep, Ultrashift is a strong preference, but so is not spending more money than I have I reckon I'll have to find a balance.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:27 PM

I have two sets of Ultrashift Centaur 10 shifters from my wife's bikes and a set of Record 11 from a friend. Wife has gone 12 spd on her primary freeing up the 10 levers and neither of us will ever go 11. I prefer the gen 1 shape and just can't find a bar combo that makes the Gumbies work, but I'm perfectly fine on 10.

That said in my experience, consistent with what oldpotatoe has shared in the past, everything 10 works with everything 10 and most if not everything 11, applies to cranks and derailleurs.

I considered replying to your WTB, but lost context as to where things were going after a few posts. To unload the Gumby 10s I'd ideally want another set of gen 1 10s. If a partial trade works for you I'm open. I also have derailleurs.

Last edited by donevwil; 05-26-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Alright. I failed on my due diligence check before posting a WTB, so more research before I post again... This is mostly a brain dump to get my thoughts down before posting/hunting...

Currently have early 2000s Record 10 groupset on the bike. Still my favourite shifting feel and look, but aiming to try a more "modern" hood shape in the hopes of making my hands a bit happier.

Parameters:
  • 10 or 11 speed is fine (10 speed would save me the money of chain/cassette though)
  • "Modern" campy hood shape
  • Greatly prefer ultrashift over powershift
  • If something plays nice with my current derailleurs, that would be good, but it's likely I'll need a mini-groupset

Current thoughts - am I missing something obvious?
  • Older 10-speed "Gumby" era, eg: Centaur Ultrashift (would need shifters/derailleurs)
  • Current 11-speed grouspets (Potenza, Centaur come to mind, would need shifters/derailleurs/cassette/chain/maybe chainrings)
  • Something else in between (Athena 11, an older Chorus 11 model, would need shifters/derailleurs/cassette/chain/maybe chainrings)
I'd say a mix of Chorus 11s levers(Ultrashift), lower end rear der, like Potenza or Veloce, and you can use your '10s' front der...THEN lowest end 11s cogset and KMC chain...
Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I have two sets of Ultrashift Centaur 10 shifters from my wife's bikes and a set of Record 11 from a friend. Wife has gone 12 spd on her primary freeing up the 10 levers and neither of us will ever go 11. I prefer the gen 1 shape and just can't find a bar combo that makes the Gumbies work, but I'm perfectly fine on 10.

That said in my experience, consistent with what oldpotatoe has shared in the past, everything 10 works with everything 10 and most if not everything 11, applies to cranks and derailleurs.

I considered replying to your WTB, but lost context as to where things were going after a few posts. To unload the Gumby 10s I'd ideally want another set of gen 1 10s. If a partial trade works for you I'm open. I also have derailleurs.
Just for info..I have the 'stuff' to convert 10s UltraShift Gumby to 11s...
Old 05-27-2020, 07:25 AM

Use a Shimano 11 speed freehub then you can fit Shimano 11 speed cassettes. These work fine with Campag 11, and are a fair bit cheaper/lighter/more readily available.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 AM

I see no point in living in the past. Last year I had one bike with the first year 10 speed ultrashift levers, converted to 11 speed one with the latest gen 11 speed from 2018.

I first changed from the 2018 setup to the 2020 Chorus 12. I got the 48/32 crank and 11-34 cassette. I liked it so well that I ordered a second Chorus 12 group for the other bike.

10 months later, no regrets at all. The new shift levers are more comfortable than anything from the past.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:59 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd say a mix of Chorus 11s levers(Ultrashift), lower end rear der, like Potenza or Veloce, and you can use your '10s' front der...THEN lowest end 11s cogset and KMC chain...
That's an appealing option for sure - I do wish retailers sold mini-groups, but piecing together like this makes sense on a bit of a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Use a Shimano 11 speed freehub then you can fit Shimano 11 speed cassettes. These work fine with Campag 11, and are a fair bit cheaper/lighter/more readily available.
Oh, already on it - thankfully the wheelset on this bike is already a Shimano 11 freehub.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:03 PM
all slow no go

If anyone has a set of Chorus 11 shifters and a compatible rear derailleur, I'll be looking soon