Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Classifieds (Cycling Products)

Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 PM

One of the main reasons to buy a NOS frame from a dealer is to get the warranty - if their customer service is awful on the front-end, I can’t imagine it’s great if something goes wrong down the road.. And that’s one more reason I’ve kept my wallet hidden (the Scott MTBs are seriously tempting me though).
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM

For those that don't know, they have a HUGE chunk of real estate in prime Brooklyn, which per my understanding is also their warehouse and fulfillment center (for the most part). In other words, it's likely the same charming in-store experience driving online service as well, so good luck with that. Although, that's pure speculation.

That said, over the years.....fool me once (first visit), shame on me. Fool me twice (second time), well I should've just gone to the pastry shop instead. And third time's a charm when I went to go and buy a Colnago frame. What a mistake that was.

My time is precious and I don't go into a shop like that to dilly dally and ask dumb questions. Not the least of which, actually getting there is a major time suck. When I'm outright ignored, or brushed off with attitude--literally--well then as johnmdesigner said, f you too. At the end of the day, customer service attitude comes from the tone set at the top.

Again, this is all spoken as a bricks and mortar experience. Your online experience may differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Sounds like the in store experience has varied for some, but not sure that's really relevant here? You're buying online, they box up the bike and send it to you. At these prices I don't see how that's a risk or really matters what their personalities are like. Unless you just don't want to support them based on that experience. But I'm sure there are some really crappy personalities boxing up your stuff too at Amazon

Back to the bikes - they definitely have some huge inventory costs here. I'd go for the Colnago and send it to Wanta for a repaint and you are still way ahead. I wish I didn't see this link

Last edited by 54ny77; 11-14-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
One of the main reasons to buy a NOS frame from a dealer is to get the warranty - if their customer service is awful on the front-end, I can’t imagine it’s great if something goes wrong down the road.. And that’s one more reason I’ve kept my wallet hidden (the Scott MTBs are seriously tempting me though).
Valid point. I personally don't look at NOS for the warranty. For me it's knowing the bike is brand new, will have all the parts it was intended to have and the fork is uncut so I can get the right fit. Sure the warranty is a nice to have, though never needed to use it before.

That raises an interesting point. Are the warranties valid on the frames/bikes they have listed in the sale? I didn't see anything to the contrary.

I highly value customer service, especially when I am laying down a chunk of cash, so it is disappointing to hear from those that had bad experiences at the store.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:20 PM

I was checking now a little bit better and all the frames I looked say frameset only... this guys is selling all the frames w/o a fork? the casati ones says frameset only...

Called them sunday to ask about the derosa topper to figure it out sizing, not that i have the money. Talked with an old dude with NYC accent... he did not know what to say and send me to derosas website to find out... talk to you later then :P He was like really dry at the beginning and then he changed a little bit but was interesting he did not know... is fair tho.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Yeah, my guess is the same: they have been a "premium" importer for a decade at least and I've never seen them discount their inventory.

They must have a ton of back stock they've accumulated over the years and are trying to generate some cash, which also leads me to believe they might negotiate even more if you call them directly.

GITA had/has the same thing, but I've never seen them offer a big sale. For example, as of a year or two ago they still had a number of magnesium Pinarello Dogmas but want 75% of original retail for them, which seems pretty expensive for a 10yr old bike even as NOS. Guessing these guys can't get their head around the concept of sunk cost due to accounting rules, as they'd take a big loss if they sell below their cost. Seems like at some point they'd just sell all the old stock off at market best offer.
MY LBS has a number of high end display frames that they still want top dollar for, like a 2005 Independent Fabrication XS. its a beautiful Cabernet red tinted carbon tubeset. Unfortunately, the time for top dollar for that frame has long passed. Just more evidence how tough the high end bike business can be.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:43 PM

Frameset usually implies with a fork, thus the 'set' part...

I don't doubt other's experience with them, but I had some online interaction with them recently while shopping for tri bikes, and it went really well. They answered multiple emails, and even setup a saddle on a bike at my saddle height for me and sent pictures.

They are a valid store, obviously, so I can't see how buying one of the sale frames would be much of a risk. A friend of mine got a very high end tri frame from the sale (Felt IA FRD) for about 70% off MSRP. I'm so freakin jealous they didn't have my size.
Same for the colnagos, none of the ones at the 1500 price range are my size...
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM
v a n i l l a

They have some nice mtb on the blow out sale as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
They have some nice mtb on the blow out sale as well.
Seriously. In size XL no less.

2012 Scale Premium - full XTR and bling everything, but 26er and triple - for $1195
2012 Spark SL - full XX and carbon hoops, but 26er - for $1995
2013 Scale 900 RC - full XX/XTR - for $1695
2012 Scale 29 RC - frame w WCS post - for $495

All three of those are a ton of bike for the money, some more behind the curve than others..
Old 11-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Yeah, my guess is the same: they have been a "premium" importer for a decade at least and I've never seen them discount their inventory.

They must have a ton of back stock they've accumulated over the years and are trying to generate some cash, which also leads me to believe they might negotiate even more if you call them directly.

GITA had/has the same thing, but I've never seen them offer a big sale. For example, as of a year or two ago they still had a number of magnesium Pinarello Dogmas but want 75% of original retail for them, which seems pretty expensive for a 10yr old bike even as NOS. Guessing these guys can't get their head around the concept of sunk cost due to accounting rules, as they'd take a big loss if they sell below their cost. Seems like at some point they'd just sell all the old stock off at market best offer.
Well, they do state explicitly in their "rules" for the sale to NOT contact them to negotiate price. Whether they lower prices further, who knows. Given their prime real estate holdings, doubt they are hurting for money.
Those Colnagos are not selling overnight it would seem. If they were priced like that Look 585, I imagine they would.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:42 PM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Sounds like the in store experience has varied for some, but not sure that's really relevant here? You're buying online, they box up the bike and send it to you. At these prices I don't see how that's a risk or really matters what their personalities are like. Unless you just don't want to support them based on that experience. But I'm sure there are some really crappy personalities boxing up your stuff too at Amazon

Back to the bikes - they definitely have some huge inventory costs here. I'd go for the Colnago and send it to Wanta for a repaint and you are still way ahead. I wish I didn't see this link
I think when company management seems to support a "F**K Y*U" attitude with walk in customers (knowledgeable ones) then that mentality might seep into the online business as well.
They are sold "as is" so even if you do have a problem it will be your problem.
The "Soup Nazi" mentality that this business demonstrates was stale in the 80's and is certainly out of place today. Desperation is probably forcing them to clean out their basement.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Well, they do state explicitly in their "rules" for the sale to NOT contact them to negotiate price. Whether they lower prices further, who knows. Given their prime real estate holdings, doubt they are hurting for money.
Those Colnagos are not selling overnight it would seem. If they were priced like that Look 585, I imagine they would.
Ah, I didn't see that......makes sense they'd say that but I'd guess that they'll start dropping prices or entertaining offers if they sit for a couple weeks.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
I think when company management seems to support a "F**K Y*U" attitude with walk in customers (knowledgeable ones) then that mentality might seep into the online business as well.
They are sold "as is" so even if you do have a problem it will be your problem.
The "Soup Nazi" mentality that this business demonstrates was stale in the 80's and is certainly out of place today. Desperation is probably forcing them to clean out their basement.
Like I said, if you visit the store ask for Edlin or Tristan.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Sinter ember

I've never dealt with R&A. I have dealt with a few bike shops in the city that are uppity and a PITA, so I get where people are coming from with the negative comments.

R&A's google reviews parallel the discussion here, though: Lots of 5's, Lots of 1's, but not a lot in the middle.

Those are some pretty good deals, though.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 PM

I actually had a very pleasant experience a few years back. I forgot who the sales persons name was but we ended up chatting for half an hour or so. I was interested in a particular bike and the sales person offered some good feedback on fit and comparisons to other bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 06:46 PM

Pretty much how I picture their joint..