Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 09-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Imaking20 Does Disc: Acid Mint S-Works Tarmac

I moved to a new area about 6 weeks ago and the (fantastic) riding here has had me rethinking my bike setup a bit. Primarily, going back away from having multiple road bikes. There's significantly less climbing in my new area, which is awesome, and any given day may end up on dirt or gravel for a bit (which is also awesome). Road surfaces are a bit more bumpy here than I've been spoiled with the last several years so I've found myself looking to eke out a bit more compliance from the Wilier. It just barely won't clear a 30mm tubular in the rear - which is probably the only thing that got in the way of me just keeping that as the do it all bike. Alas, it was not meant to be.

The criteria I went looking for in a new frame was something like this:
- Needs to have some aero properties (because science)
- Needs cool paint (which rules out a surprising number of bikes)
- Needs to be able to swallow up a 30mm tubular (this ruled out the F10 I so desperately longed for)
- Needs to at least have a strong chance of being a little more compliant than the Wilier (which rules out pretty much any other dedicated aero bike - because the Wilier is half magic)
- Not keen on proprietary/totally integrated cockpits (which ruled out a Madone). I know they're cool, and fast, but I like being able to choose my bar and stem. And not pay $600+ for a replacement

One thing you may notice that was not on my list, is "improved" braking performance. That's right, I'm a super happy camper with the performance of EE brakes and honestly have not even though once about braking in my new environment. This is the "caves" part. It seems like the majority of the market is moving towards only checking off my boxes on a disc brake bike. My wife sorta helped me realize that I was just being resistant to change. I don't think disc brakes will be bad, I just have it in mind that they solve a problem I do not have. Nonetheless, here I go stepping outside of my comfort zone.

I picked up a pair of Aerofly II bars a few weeks earlier with the intention of putting them on the Wilier. The slight texture/dimples on the surface are what really piqued my interest. I spend a fair bit of time riding down on my forearms - so the potential for extra traction when sweaty was appealing.

It's been a few years since I trained regularly with a power meter - most of the time I don't even ride with a visible head unit. Figured it's about time that I'm ready to have data to play with again though..

And assembled with BOR chainrings:

And ready to ride with the new Schwalbe Pro One TLE.

Build list:

Last edited by Imaking20; 09-10-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:25 PM

looks great, nice paint on there
let us know how you feel about the brakes
Old 09-10-2019, 11:48 PM

That looks so sweet!

I have a brand new set of Enve CX wheels - maybe I should try them for the road too, I like that idea.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 PM

I haven't ridden the CX yet. Waiting on new end caps which arrive on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes - though I can't imagine why there'd be an issue.

Disc brakes are good. Simon Richardson once described them as "like the very best rim brake setup you've ridden with aluminum braking surface." And I'd say they're comparable to ideally setup rim brakes. Not quite sure they're deserving of the religious following - but they're good. Most importantly, they're not noisy yet! Not a lot of long and pitchy climbs around here to find rubbing, but the steep pitches I've found, I've hopped out of the saddle and tried to put through some decent torque - which so far has elicited no squeals. And regular braking up to a stop sign is a good bit quieter than textured Enve rim brakes

Last edited by Imaking20; 09-11-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 AM

love that color, and that bike has a cool stance. nicely done
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Love the frameset! Overall, a great looking build.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 AM
aka RAEKWON

that looks fantastic and yes that paint job is pretty cool (so tired of black bikes).

As far as discs, I love me rim brakes and just bought a rim brake bike, they are fun but if you want amazing braking, lets stop lying to ourselves and admit that hydro disc brakes are just fantastic. And now a days when levers are smaller and very ergonomic (I love that they are a bit taller too, great extra hand position), disc brakes are awesome and this bike is awesome.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM

Sounds like your rim brakes aren't setup very well. If I made a list of things about this bike that surprise me with how good they are - the brakes wouldn't make the top 3. They're fine, they're not life changing.

I had a disc bike I used on the road several years ago that sucked and I sold. It was cable actuated. Everyone said that's why it sucked. For sure, hydro is better (more importantly, the pad spacing when no pressure is on the lever is much better - which means no rub and easier wheel changes). I'm glad I got this bike to form my own opinion - and to be clear, I don't think there's anything BAD about it - but if this color frame had been available in rim brake, I'd have had a lot less parts to source and still be happy as a clam.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 AM
needs adult supervision

Great set-up. And cool paint. I think I remember on your previous bikes running a different saddle (something all carbon maybe?) Do you like the Power? Any particular reason for switch, other than keeping all the logos matching and happy? Hope you enjoy.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
Sounds like your rim brakes aren't setup very well. If I made a list of things about this bike that surprise me with how good they are - the brakes wouldn't make the top 3. They're fine, they're not life changing.

I had a disc bike I used on the road several years ago that sucked and I sold. It was cable actuated. Everyone said that's why it sucked. For sure, hydro is better (more importantly, the pad spacing when no pressure is on the lever is much better - which means no rub and easier wheel changes). I'm glad I got this bike to form my own opinion - and to be clear, I don't think there's anything BAD about it - but if this color frame had been available in rim brake, I'd have had a lot less parts to source and still be happy as a clam.
My rim brakes are setup just fine. I also have had every kind of rim brakes, including EE. I am a big guy and that might be the reason why I think discs are superior. Look, rim brakes are fine but they just don't have the power and more importantly the modulation of hydro discs (and yes, cable discs are trash, I much rather take rim brakes over it). Also on a roadie I would be totally happy with rim brakes but I would pick discs 9/10 times now a days.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM

The best thing about disc brakes isn't the stopping power, it is that they separate the braking function from the rim. With disc brakes you don't have to worry about cooking your tires on a long descent, or reduced performance on carbon in the wet, or wearing out the sidewalls of the rim. There are tradeoffs though. I like discs but will be keeping a few rim braked bikes around.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

On my Moots RSL, I am running aluminum Mavic wheels with EE brakes. Awesome set up.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM

With the heavy caveat that I haven't tried disc brakes yet, I agree that the ability to run 30-32mm tires on modern disc road bikes is what will probably eventually push me into discs at some point. But yeah, I'm pretty resistant to them so far.

Great looking bike!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:35 AM

I'm already bored with the disc-ussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Great set-up. And cool paint. I think I remember on your previous bikes running a different saddle (something all carbon maybe?) Do you like the Power? Any particular reason for switch, other than keeping all the logos matching and happy? Hope you enjoy.
I've run a bunch of different saddles. Haven't done a full carbon in probably 10k miles. I used to run a Power before riding Berk - and may switch back at some point (still hanging onto a custom Berk saddle). The change came mostly because I wanted to. I remember the Power being great when running a lot of drop, and that's definitely proving true still.
It was on the Wilier for a bit, before I even thought about ordering this frame, so the logo consistency is just coincidence.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:43 PM

Love it!

Jake