Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 08:34 PM

Neutral Shoe Similar to S-Works Torch

Title says it all - I hate the forefoot varus compensation built into the Torch shoes I have. It gives me a sensation that I’m sliding off the side of the shoe and drives me bonkers, but I otherwise love the fit. Who makes a similar shoe without this nonsense? Can I simply shim the forefoot in an inverted pattern to remove the compensation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Title says it all - Can I simply shim the forefoot in an inverted pattern to remove the compensation?
I use these same shoes and my fitter put a small wedge in my right shoe. With the combination of the small wedge and the Body Geometry insoles (I use the blue ones) I'm all gravy. Mine is in the heel but I can only imagine something similar could be done to the forefoot.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:57 AM

You can use the varus shim inside the shoe to neutralize it. But this does reduce the shoe's volume, and that may not be comfortable for you. The S-Works shoes in general don't work for me for unknown reasons. While trying to make a pair work, I did try the varus shims, but that actually made the shoes worse.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:23 AM

Is the thing you like about the s-works torches the larger toe box and base plate? If so, I think Bont shoes may be worth looking into for you.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:29 AM

I've 3d printed shims under the cleat to give me that angle without changing the internal volume, but you could do the same to remove that angle.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2768405
Old 09-29-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjr View Post
I've 3d printed shims under the cleat to give me that angle without changing the internal volume, but you could do the same to remove that angle.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2768405
In the Spesh shoes, only the forefoot has a varus angle. You can see the wedge built in if you take the insole out. It definitely covers the forefoot only. With a shim under the cleat, you are angling the entire foot. I don't know that these two will combine well.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:02 PM

I went from Torch to Sphyre and so far so good
Old 09-29-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchourbreath View Post
I went from Torch to Sphyre and so far so good
How's the width? The torch has a real sweet spot in terms of forefoot space (for me). In terms of Bont or Lake, I'm pretty tepid - the Leather they use is less than ideal for a shoe that ought to be very rigid, and I find the sloppy uppers lend themselves to fussing with the Boa throughout the ride.
Old 09-29-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
How's the width? The torch has a real sweet spot in terms of forefoot space (for me). In terms of Bont or Lake, I'm pretty tepid - the Leather they use is less than ideal for a shoe that ought to be very rigid, and I find the sloppy uppers lend themselves to fussing with the Boa throughout the ride.

I had thought Torch wide was the shoe for me but I found them too roomy after a bit. The Sphyre seem plenty wide for my weird foot and the dual boa allows for adjustment without hot spots.. Previously had Bonts which I rather liked for molding around bony bits of my foot but that generation Vaypor with ratchet strap kinda fell apart after a while.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
In the Spesh shoes, only the forefoot has a varus angle. You can see the wedge built in if you take the insole out. It definitely covers the forefoot only. With a shim under the cleat, you are angling the entire foot. I don't know that these two will combine well.
Ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks