Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2024, 12:42 PM

Long time, hanging it up

I remember when this was a Serotta site. I bought 2 back then, an Atlanta and Legend. I have loved them from the day that I bought them. They have been painted and re-painted, upgraded, and pampered. I write this just as a testimony to my cycling life and how I will miss it, but it is time to go.

I have been in back of an ambulance 3 times. Most recently I went over the hood of a car landed on my head. The helmet did its thing but my neck was broken. I am on the mend today after some insane pain, a 3 hour surgery and 2 weeks of time. Surprisingly it does not hurt at all and I could, I could get back on my bike. But I wont. It is time, my time to end.

From 2000 to today I have ridden most every day. My miles are logged and timed. 7,500 was my most in a year, 2,400 this past - and many in between. Events, so many events.

My bikes have been my true joy - I will miss them terribly. It is not just about me anymore, others count on me. And this last one was close - so close. I will be putting one of my bikes on here shortly, it is old but it is as close to perfect as an old bike can be. The Atlanta will be stripped and will find its way to my wall, where it belongs.

I hope that I can find that rider that loves the road as I loved the road. Riding a bike saved my life when i needed saving so many years ago. I don’t need the hurt like I needed it before.

I swam across Long Island sound once, maybe I’ll turn back to swimming, maybe I’ll run. I know whatever I do I will be thinking of the bike.

It has been a good ride, Thank you and goodbye.

Tim
Old 08-31-2024, 12:46 PM

I hear you and respect your decision. Glad to hear it wasn’t more serious.

However you may reconsider after a few months off the bike.

Had something quite similar happen (now have some titanium in my neck) in ‘15, switched to paths, slower city streets and gravel… still get high by riding the bike.
Old 08-31-2024, 12:49 PM

Heal fast.
Old 08-31-2024, 12:54 PM

If you live near the water, kayaking is the same high (just finished in Narragansett Bay). Need to be careful of course, but it's on "you" and the water not 2 ton machine.
Old 08-31-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
I remember when this was a Serotta site. I bought 2 back then, an Atlanta and Legend. I have loved them from the day that I bought them. They have been painted and re-painted, upgraded, and pampered. I write this just as a testimony to my cycling life and how I will miss it, but it is time to go.

I have been in back of an ambulance 3 times. Most recently I went over the hood of a car landed on my head. The helmet did its thing but my neck was broken. I am on the mend today after some insane pain, a 3 hour surgery and 2 weeks of time. Surprisingly it does not hurt at all and I could, I could get back on my bike. But I wont. It is time, my time to end.

From 2000 to today I have ridden most every day. My miles are logged and timed. 7,500 was my most in a year, 2,400 this past - and many in between. Events, so many events.

My bikes have been my true joy - I will miss them terribly. It is not just about me anymore, others count on me. And this last one was close - so close. I will be putting one of my bikes on here shortly, it is old but it is as close to perfect as an old bike can be. The Atlanta will be stripped and will find its way to my wall, where it belongs.

I hope that I can find that rider that loves the road as I loved the road. Riding a bike saved my life when i needed saving so many years ago. I don’t need the hurt like I needed it before.

I swam across Long Island sound once, maybe I’ll turn back to swimming, maybe I’ll run. I know whatever I do I will be thinking of the bike.

It has been a good ride, Thank you and goodbye.

Tim
Well done, sir, and well said.
Old 08-31-2024, 01:40 PM

These are the most heartbreaking posts to read. God knows I've nearly posted one myself. Heal up!
Old 08-31-2024, 01:49 PM

I completely sympathize with you, After 40+ years of racing and riding I made the same decision almost 3 years ago for much the same reasons. A loose dog I never saw or heard ran into my front wheel flipping me over on my hip and breaking my femur. 2nd ambulance ride and hospital stay in 2 years. I sold off all but one bike(Argon former Jelly Belly team bike with DA9100) which sits on a trainer. I Zwift a couple of times a week, play pickleball 3x weekly and hit the gym weekly. But I still miss riding, especially the next 2-3 months since autumn riding in Texas can be great.
Do the rehab plus more and stay active.
Old 08-31-2024, 01:53 PM
Administrator

That was a touching post Tim. I'm sorry to hear of your wreck, but glad you are still able to post about it.

Not knowing where you are in CT, maybe look into gravel riding, or mtb. Get off the road for a while.

I'd urge you to not make any concrete decisions right after a very traumatic event like you just suffered.

My cycling has evolved in a big way over the last couple of years. These days, my daily miles are usually on my running sneakers. I save cycling for the weekends when I typically drive my bike out to a more rural area then I live in and enjoy roads with much less traffic. It's not fun to ride around here much anymore, too dangerous.

Heal up pal!
Old 08-31-2024, 02:00 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Heal Well!!

Before you toss in the towel, maybe change where you ride. I quit riding near cars mostly around 2016. I cross the roads the blunt skulls inhabit, yes. But don't even use my Garmin Varia anymore as near never where I'd need it. the last bastion I guess.

After last Sat road bike injury which I am recovering from, I too and rethinking aggressive riding postures. I clipped out putting in ++ watts out of the saddle to get back to tempo. Turned out some gravel in my cleat cause a non total clip in.

Wishing you the best!!
Old 08-31-2024, 02:27 PM

That day will come for most of us, and even though I hope mine is many years away, I understand all of this.
Been in a few "incidents" that have people I know wondering how or why I returned to the bike, but for me, it just wasn't an option. I had to for my recovery, mental and physical. But I considered it...
Sorry it was an accident that made the decision for you. Maybe keep one bike around. Ya know, just in case...
Old 08-31-2024, 02:31 PM

As a fellow Serotta fan boi, I hope you heal well and fast both physically and mentally. Since my Ambu ride last fall (I literally feel your pain, so to speak!) my riding has changed, I'm paranoid and overly cautious, and I've yet to do the route where I got hit. Less miles, yet I'm still addicted.

Like some have said, take it easy for a while, dabble in as many other interests as you can, but don't write off the bike just yet! Oh, and keep in touch...
Old 08-31-2024, 03:01 PM

Having pitched over the bars and ended up in the hospital..concussion…and being older, I get it. But Get Well first! I sense your gratitude for what you have had to date, what a wonderful response! For me, it was not to turn totally away from cycling, because my limbs can tolerate the pedal turns best, but my mind not the anguish of the irresponsibility of too many other road users. I hope your next steps work for you, provide you with fitness and fun. Different cycling maybe, but maybe not. Good luck with everything, and thanks again for your post.
Old 08-31-2024, 03:05 PM

Another open - nice high performance trike someday? This is in my longterm plan, then again we live 1/2 mile from bike path for miles...
Old 08-31-2024, 04:27 PM

couple of years ago, I went OTB and fractured C1/C2...spent 101 days in a cervical collar and 'sleeping' in a chair. it was a brutal recovery and has been a life-changing episode. my neck will never function as it once did.

this is most serious injury I've sustained in the four times I've been hit by cars. thought hard about whether to resume riding and came close to giving up the sport.

but, it's a passion and as a single person with no kids, there were no family obligations to consider, so I resumed riding.

respect to you for doing what you need to do. hope you find something to fill the spot that riding used to.
Old 08-31-2024, 04:49 PM

I respect your difficult decision regarding cycling, but your post implies you’re also leaving the forum. If that’s because it reminds you painfully what you’re setting aside, I get that. Sounds like you’ve been here as long as a lot of us. I suspect I’m not the only one here whose cycling intensity has varied through the years or who has taken a sabbatical for one reason or another. No matter where I’ve been on that spectrum, Paceline has always been one of the important stops each day. It’s hard to find the depth of knowledge, the diversity of opinion, and thoughtful consideration that is found here. I hope you stay, but whatever your choice, best wishes.