Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 06:17 PM

Agency by William Gibson. His follow-up to The Peripheral. Gibson is often quoted as saying the future has already arrived but it is not evenly distributed.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:15 PM

Reviving this thread because I'm reading one of the most riveting books I've ever read in my life. Just simply unbelievable. The Cambodian genocide committed by the Khmer Rough in the 1970's.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Reviving this thread because I'm reading one of the most riveting books I've ever read in my life. Just simply unbelievable. The Cambodian genocide committed by the Khmer Rough in the 1970's.

Aaaaaaaaand adding that to the list.

If you want to read something on par with that check out the Best and the Brightest. It is an incredibly detailed account of how the US got involved with Vietnam. It will also make you distrust virtually every participant in politics no matter how good their education, background or training might be. Absolutely amazing piece of work.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:46 PM

I haven't read very much the last few years, but had started to look for a good book to start again. I think "A Cambodian Odyssey" is a good place for me to start, thanks for the suggestion.

Many years ago I read "Highways to a War" about the Vietnam war (fiction) and some of it is set in Cambodia. It was a great book and led me to do additional reading on the region. I was aware of "A Cambodian Odyssey" then, but never got around to it. Now is as good a time as any.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:11 PM
Robin (she/her)

I just finished Station Eleven. I bought a “new” book, American War by El Akkad. Started it last nite.....Ive already read it!!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:49 PM

Call of the reed warbler. Charles Massey

It’s about regenerative agriculture in Australia
Old 09-09-2020, 03:53 PM

Latest books...

Haven't read as much as i'd like, work has kept me busy, but been part of a book club lately. Some really good reads for anyone seeking first to understand.

Just Mercy - Bryan Stevenson
Color of Law - Richard Rothstein
How to be and Antiracist - Ibram Kendi I'm half way through this now...
Old 09-09-2020, 04:03 PM
50 bpm

"Separated" by Jacob Soboroff.

Thus far it's devastating.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:40 PM

"We are the weather: saving the planet starts at breakfast" - Jonathan Safran Foer

Some people reject the fact, overwhelmingly supported by scientists, that our planet is warming because of human activity. But do those of us who accept the reality of human-caused climate change truly believe it? If we did, surely we would be roused to act on what we know. Will future generations distinguish between those who didn’t believe in the science of global warming and those who said they accepted the science but failed to change their lives in response?

In We Are the Weather, Jonathan Safran Foer explores the central global dilemma of our time in a surprising, deeply personal, and urgent new way. The task of saving the planet will involve a great reckoning with ourselves—with our all-too-human reluctance to sacrifice immediate comfort for the sake of the future. We have, he reveals, turned our planet into a farm for growing animal products, and the consequences are catastrophic. Only collective action will save our home. And it all starts with what we eat—and don’t eat—for breakfast.

It's well written and engaging - open and honest, not preachy.

If you'd like to read it and then discuss, PM me.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:23 PM

Anna Karenina rn. Never connected with the Russians but it's so far extremely good. Candy for those who like realist fiction. Leo T. just drops the most subtle little events in the plot or a line characterizing someone that, despite being entirely time bound quotidian, and natural, add up to something transcendent. Gestalt atmo.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopwalters View Post
Aaaaaaaaand adding that to the list.

If you want to read something on par with that check out the Best and the Brightest. It is an incredibly detailed account of how the US got involved with Vietnam. It will also make you distrust virtually every participant in politics no matter how good their education, background or training might be. Absolutely amazing piece of work.
Thanks, I will definitely add that to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLB View Post
I haven't read very much the last few years, but had started to look for a good book to start again. I think "A Cambodian Odyssey" is a good place for me to start, thanks for the suggestion.

Many years ago I read "Highways to a War" about the Vietnam war (fiction) and some of it is set in Cambodia. It was a great book and led me to do additional reading on the region. I was aware of "A Cambodian Odyssey" then, but never got around to it. Now is as good a time as any.
Put it to you this way, in a couple chapters he actually starts off with a warning about how graphic it is and that some people may want to skip the chapter and read on. It's brutal but it has to be read just to know how incredible cruel man can be to man, and in this case even women and children. I'm not ashamed to admit that it brought me to tears.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 PM

Since I read “Everything is Illuminated” I’ve been a Jonathan Safran Foer fan. I’ll have to pick up this one. Sounds like an important read.

Currently reading non-fiction “White Trash” and Brady Udall’s novel, “The Lonely Polygamist”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2020, 09:26 PM

The Forum classifieds.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Very interesting...

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg History.jpeg (143.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 09:56 PM

I’m a fan of biographies....just finished “Kelly” about Kelly Johnson, Lockheed’s visionary engineer designer of many iconic planes (F-105, U-2, A12/SR-71).

Nearly done with “Enzo” an epic 800 page history of Ferrari. Really interesting and super detailed view about his entire life.