Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 04:52 PM

Riding around open cattle pastures

The other day I was riding up a public country road on the central coast of California. About 8 miles in, started encountering cows on both sides of the road, without any fence between the road and the grass. This wasn’t too concerning, I just had to avoid a few cow pies on the pavement, but about another mile into my climb, I encountered more cattle, including a bull with horns, about 10 feet from the side of the road. I was pretty tired from my ride the previous day, and decided I’d rather not take any chances, and headed back.

Does anyone have experience riding around cattle, including bulls? When I was reviewing my route, I could see that it was part of a fairly well-trafficked Strava segment, with additional segments further down the same country road. I’m curious if turning back was an over reaction on my part, and if anyone can speak to a similar scenario. For all the posts about dogs on the forum, the only related post I saw was about a cyclist in France being gored by a fighting bull in 2013
Old 08-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottshead View Post
The other day I was riding up a public country road on the central coast of California. About 8 miles in, started encountering cows on both sides of the road, without any fence between the road and the grass. This wasn’t too concerning, I just had to avoid a few cow pies on the pavement, but about another mile into my climb, I encountered more cattle, including a bull with horns, about 10 feet from the side of the road. I was pretty tired from my ride the previous day, and decided I’d rather not take any chances, and headed back.

Does anyone have experience riding around cattle, including bulls? When I was reviewing my route, I could see that it was part of a fairly well-trafficked Strava segment, with additional segments further down the same country road. I’m curious if turning back was an over reaction on my part, and if anyone can speak to a similar scenario. For all the posts about dogs on the forum, the only related post I saw was about a cyclist in France being gored by a fighting bull in 2013
I used to map soils and was a regular on the cow pasture circuit. IMO, cows are pretty dumb and will follow you around and slobber on you, your bike, your truck - whatever - looking for food or a salt lick. I used to pay them no mind. Now horses, I would never get in a pasture and take my eye off a horse if there was one in there. They're much more tricky. Bulls? Well, you just don't flcuk with that!

Last edited by OtayBW; 08-18-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:59 PM
ZhugeLiang

You did the right thing or else we would be reading a new thread titled "An attempt to personalize almost getting run over...by a bull."
Old 08-18-2020, 06:28 PM

The farmer I worked for growing up told me, "Never turn your back on that bull". To be fair he was an Angus, but I've also seen a Holstein bull get pretty worked up over what we thought was nothing. That Angus would act like it was all cool when you were facing him or turned sideways to him. Turn your back, however, and he would get ornery pretty quick.

If there's a fair amount of riders on that road I would think they would all be used to it. But you never really know with a bull. Maybe other Strava folk who have ridden that section could be contacted/IM'd and find out what their experiences were. I'm not on Strava, so don't know if that's possible or not. The cattle where I ride are behind some sort of fence always. and they never seem to care about us.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:33 PM

A bunch of years ago one of the local farmers got caught by his bull and unfortunately he died due to his mistake.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
A bunch of years ago one of the local farmers got caught by his bull and unfortunately he died due to his mistake.
I remember that story in the news. I think he was feeding the bull when it charged and gored him. He was a firefighter or policeman who took up farming after he retired.

Last week I rounded a sharp curve on my bike to find a calf in my way. He (or she) scampered off the road into the field very quickly, setting off a stampede away from the fence in the rest of the herd that was grazing at the time.

Last edited by fiamme red; 08-18-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
The farmer I worked for growing up told me, "Never turn your back on that bull". To be fair he was an Angus, but I've also seen a Holstein bull get pretty worked up over what we thought was nothing. That Angus would act like it was all cool when you were facing him or turned sideways to him. Turn your back, however, and he would get ornery pretty quick...
That's the #1 thing I was taught growing up around cattle, #2 was don't get between a calf and its mother. #3 was steer are generally as passive as cows, but be very cautious around bulls, especially if cows are also present.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:52 PM

Bulls aren’t usually kept around cows. Are you sure it was a bull? Did you see it’s balls? Anyway, I have ridden through cows and steers. There is no issue, they are more scared of you and will move even when the first hold their ground. Not sure I would do it with an actual bull around that I did not know. Anyway, you can find some fun mushrooms in them pastures.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:52 PM

A favorite route of mine includes a country lane that has open grazing with mostly Angus cows and calves. They've never been aggressive to me, mostly just standing in place chewing whatever they were chewing. Sometimes the calves will spook and run toward a cow if they are standing in the road. My main issue with this road is the cattle guards - the pipes in the road to keep the cattle in place. One guard in particular is super rough with pipes of varying height. I've gotta slow way down and crawl over it.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
That's the #1 thing I was taught growing up around cattle, #2 was don't get between a calf and its mother. #3 was steer are generally as passive as cows, but be very cautious around bulls, especially if cows are also present.
Growing up we raised Hereford and Angus cattle (also had a Brahma/Angus bull) and the only injury sustained was from #2. My grandfather was charged and broke his leg in the melee in a small transition pen outside the barn one day when we were administering meds. He made it to the fence, but not over it.

Related, he told me how his Australian shepherd undoubtedly saved him once when a sow with piglets charged him and he lost his footing in the mud. That dog bit the sow by the snout and held on until my grandpa was out of the pen. She also hiked her leg when she pissed. RIP, Boots!

As said above, horns don't necessarily indicate a bull.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:58 PM

Fiamme no this happened about 40 years ago in central NY to a dairy farmer we knew. Our farms were about a half mile from each other. What I remember about it was that the farmer was in one pasture thinking the bull was in a different fenced off area. One of his help had moved the bull into the pasture without the farmer knowing. The bull caught the farmer and essentially stomped him to death.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:04 PM

Bulls want cows. Don’t interfere with that and all is good. They will jump fences, walk through fences, trucks, people, etc to get to what they want.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Fiamme no this happened about 40 years ago in central NY to a dairy farmer we knew. Our farms were about a half mile from each other. What I remember about it was that the farmer was in one pasture thinking the bull was in a different fenced off area. One of his help had moved the bull into the pasture without the farmer knowing. The bull caught the farmer and essentially stomped him to death.
And I found a link to the story I was thinking of, from two years ago: https://www.allotsego.com/middlefiel...illed-by-bull/.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:31 PM

Among other stories about this, one is particularly relevant.

A running club friend was doing sabbatical teaching down south (Ecuador?). Out for a run one day, cuts across a field which unfortunately had a resident bull.

Two weeks in the hospital.

I've since learned that bulls are very territorial and only the bull decides his territory.

...and Cows can be very protective of their calves.

Bottom line: They ain't guinea pigs. Be careful.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:39 PM
Resident Slacker

I've ridden through cows and even longhorns. Generally passive, but don't go near their young. Same goes for buffalo!!!

https://nypost.com/2020/08/14/bison-...ught-on-video/

Last edited by RudAwkning; 08-18-2020 at 08:26 PM.