Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 06:17 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
I couldn't say how many times I've had drivers look right through me. Yes, we are often invisible.

On a plus/minus note, I've been in multiple situations where a motorist will go well out of their way to avoid a pedestrian not realizing they've placed themselves on a collision course with me on a bike.

So, the driver could very well have seen you and didn't give a crap or misjudged speed. I'm guessing you weren't seen at all.
I'd guess you weren't seen either. The view of cyclists from behind the wheel of a car really depends on whether the driver is a cyclist as well. Drivers who don''t ride a bike just have no idea and as cyclists we all have dealt with that.

Cars coming towards the rider and turning left in front of the rider is a more common variant of the OPs situation, at least around here. Rider either gets hit or plows into the passenger side. There's spot I pass by often where a person was killed and one other injured becasue the driver did not see the rider.

As we all know, the $ hit can happen at anytime so good that the OP was already aware of the possibility and had the reflexes to react.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:12 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Happy Ending. Glad to read that.

Seems like either pillar blind or just wanting to beat you out and your FTP pace was under estimated. Either or make some sense, or one of 10 other things maybe. Or 1-2 anyway.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:24 PM

Those photos don't convey how close the call was, and will certainly mean even less to a car driver.

And since there was no contact between you and the car driver, and their actions didn't appear malicious nor was there a confrontation of any sort, I doubt the police will do anything.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:40 PM

I'm guessing he underestimated your speed and pinched you. ( i get it all the time) Maybe just send the pic with a thanks for not hitting me note. If it were me I'd not bother, no harm, no foul.