Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Did you finally find a bike? I know that is tough these days
Yeah I ordered a 2021 orbea Alma. It wasn’t on my radar but it seems pretty nice and has the geometry I want, and doesn’t cost a fortune. Jenson is supposedly gonna ship it next month but we’ll see
Old 08-17-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Yeah I ordered a 2021 orbea Alma. It wasn’t on my radar but it seems pretty nice and has the geometry I want, and doesn’t cost a fortune. Jenson is supposedly gonna ship it next month but we’ll see

Orbea is doing some really nice stuff now.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:50 AM

Aside from what's been mentioned, part of the bikepacking vibe for me is the minimalist aesthetic. Why bring more gear than you need? This involves not only gear but making smart choices. eg. with clothing that serves dual or multiple purposes. I dont go to the extremes with my lightweight setup. There are some luxury/comfort items. I might bring small propane stove rather than Esbit stove with a few pellets. Full tent (Six Moons Lunar Solo) rather than a bivvy. Who doesnt bring a phone, garmin, and charger pack these days? My last trip I even brought torn pages out of the DeLorme (used as tp in a pinch while rough camping one night-yes I packed it out!). And I sometimes bring a small tarp.

Whether I am using 5L dry bags strapped to everything cages on the fork blades or a lowrider rack and small panniers has nothing to do with terrain-my gnarliest trips have been done with panniers. For me it's either about weather and the need to bring more clothes and warmer sleep setup, more gear for the conditions, or it's that I am in more of a comfort touring mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikepack1.jpg (151.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg bikepack2.jpg (151.5 KB, 112 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Resident Slacker

Timely thread. I just outfitted my new Knolly Cache to be run without a tailbag. I'd used a Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion Mini on my previous rig, but wanted more capacity and the ability to lash stuff to the top of the rack with some Voile straps. Trying out an old Tubus rack I had lying about and the Revelate Nanos (13 liters for the pair). This allows me to still use my dropper and not have a loaded seatpack rub the tire. I'm 5'6" so bag to tire clearance has always been an issue.

Going to bikepack into Big Basin next week...if they can get those Butano fires under control!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4531.jpg (151.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 06:28 PM

Echo all the other comments in favor of bags re weight, flexibility, portability, etc., but also noise. I can't stand rattling panniers on the road; I can't imagine a day on the trail with panniers.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Aside from what's been mentioned, part of the bikepacking vibe for me is the minimalist aesthetic. Why bring more gear than you need? This involves not only gear but making smart choices. eg. with clothing that serves dual or multiple purposes. I dont go to the extremes with my lightweight setup. There are some luxury/comfort items. I might bring small propane stove rather than Esbit stove with a few pellets. Full tent (Six Moons Lunar Solo) rather than a bivvy. Who doesnt bring a phone, garmin, and charger pack these days? My last trip I even brought torn pages out of the DeLorme (used as tp in a pinch while rough camping one night-yes I packed it out!). And I sometimes bring a small tarp.

Whether I am using 5L dry bags strapped to everything cages on the fork blades or a lowrider rack and small panniers has nothing to do with terrain-my gnarliest trips have been done with panniers. For me it's either about weather and the need to bring more clothes and warmer sleep setup, more gear for the conditions, or it's that I am in more of a comfort touring mode.
Your saddle's angle must be comfortable for you, but it looks uncomfortable to my eye.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:21 AM
ZhugeLiang

Check Lael Wilcox YouTube video on her Tour Divide setup.
Admittedly, she is out of our league but there's something to be learned there.

https://youtu.be/kl6A74T-2zI
Old 08-19-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Your saddle's angle must be comfortable for you, but it looks uncomfortable to my eye.
It's sublime. Many riders find that leather saddles-Brooks and Berthoud in particular- work best nose up, especially, for me, when worn in, and especially with more upright position. Saddle-to-bar drop here is about 2-3cm. Generally speaking, wide leather saddles tend to work well with more upright position. On the other hand, some of it is me because my plastic saddles are slightly nose up too, even with lots of saddle to bar drop.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Bikepacking is just a fancier name for off-road bike touring.
This is 100% true and all the old lessons from touring apply to bikepacking.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:04 PM

Awesome deal on a Big Agnes tent over in the classifieds....

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=256917

SPP