Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 01:16 PM

Road E-bike questions

Hi all,

Going down a bit of a rabbit hole here as my knee isn’t doing so great and having a bit of a hard time keeping up with my buddy at this point and yeah, I have an appointment to see my ortho doc later today, I feel the only option is going to be another knee replacement, the first one was a partial. Not quite sure this is the right time to be getting a surgery and then 3 months of physical therapy. The e bike may be a bridge until times are a bit safer here in LA.

Anyway...on to my questions:

It appears that there are 2 separate versions of e bike power. One that powers the crankset and one that powers the rear hub-wheel.

Are there advantages of one over the other?

It also appears that the one that works with the cranks only allows for a 1 x crankset. Is this correct?

It also seems that it’s much more powerful than the one that utilizes the rear hub? Is this correct?

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve
Old 08-13-2020, 02:14 PM
Forward the Foundation

Cannondale e-bikes have doubles up front.
They sell Bosch, mid drive, crank motor.
and E-Motion, rear hub drive.

Cannondale uses a 142 oln rear wheel to get a double cranks
on their Bosch bikes.
Cannondale replaced a Bionix hub drive bike. Weight distribution of C'dale
with the mid/drive and down tube battery make the bike feel normal.
The Bionix with hub motor and rack mounted battery was really tail heavy.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:28 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Are you (OP) referring to a bafang or some kind of motor you retrofit to a "traditional" bike or are you referring to production ebikes you can buy?

A motor you retrofit to an existing bike limits you to 1x (I haven't researched it in a year or so, but at the time it was only 1x).
Old 08-13-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Are you (OP) referring to a bafang or some kind of motor you retrofit to a "traditional" bike or are you referring to production ebikes you can buy?

A motor you retrofit to an existing bike limits you to 1x (I haven't researched it in a year or so, but at the time it was only 1x).
Sorry I wasn’t clear, not retrofitting. I want a complete production road e bike.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:00 PM

Steve there seems to be a lot of Italian bike companies
Here is an example
Cheers I hope you feel better
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/bianchi-e-bikes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D378E1E5-803C-4D52-823C-7D61368FAF9C.jpg (95.0 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by Fixed; 08-13-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:04 PM

I chose a mid motor design for my wife, who recently had a knee replacement, because it put the extra weight of the Bosch motor in the middle and down low. I thought it would be better for balance and handling for her. So hers is called mid motor design. Hers is E assist only with 4 levels of assist....Econ, Tour, Sport, and Turbo. Haven't seen a mid motor you can ride throttle only, but maybe they make them, don't know.

I have seen some very powerful rear hub powered E bikes, and some you can operate with throttle only....no pedaling. While I prefer the mid motor design.....for where it puts the weight.....being able to go throttle only might be nice occasionally. E bikes now come in many varieties, with many different power systems.

EDIT addition....BTW.....You cannot pedal my wife's 250 watt E bike past about 19 or so MPH (I have tried....the motor just shuts down)....no matter how much you dial the assist up. It may go faster than that down hill coasting.....but it won't have E power. And it's geared to not go much faster than than (38X11). And I have seen E bikes that are kinda like mini motorcycles and will go much faster than my wife's bike. Did about 20 miles with her today (in this heat) on a smooth almost deserted paved trail....and she cruised along at 15-16 real easy, with her new knee.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-13-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:25 PM

delete
Old 08-13-2020, 03:51 PM
PezTech

The answer's are a bit all-over-the-place...

There are a few versions of crank driven, but they're universally better, more durable units than the hub types

The issues you might have are that any aid turns off at relatively low speeds... Not crawling, but possibly not group or "ride together" speeds though that may or may not apply here.

You can get a few really good complete stock bikes (Cannondale and Look), and there are also folks like Favaloro doing full custom E bikes as well...

The Cannondale and look (and most everything stock) tops out at 25KPH (15 mph) and both toss 250 WATTS at you.

Favaloro can spice things up...
Old 08-13-2020, 05:23 PM

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...p%20descending

Please see above—I’ve linked cannondale because they have decent variety of both types (hub and crank based).

In general, crank motors are capable of supplying more assist. Hub based bikes are uncommon above 250 watts, but aesthetically and in weight I think function and look more like analog bikes.

In the US, speed limits are defined by class. Hub based ebikemotion Ebikes do not exceed 20mph in the USA, but other crank-based ebikes go well beyond that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2020, 05:24 PM

This one is a lot of fun and mostly feels like a road bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-creo-sl
Old 08-13-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
This one is a lot of fun and mostly feels like a road bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-creo-sl
I played around on the Evo model. Fitted with 38mm tires and a snappy wheelset. It had me rethinking my opinion of these bikes. I'm limited to the time I can commit each ride and it would allow me to greatly increase the distance I could cover. Still felt like I got a good workout in too.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:48 PM

I think for your use you need one that can go at least 25 MPH. 500 Watts probably.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-13-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I think for your use you need one that can go at least 25 MPH. 500 Watts probably.
Yes, definitely!

My wish list:

500 watt chainset motor-allow me to go up to 25 mph
Double front crank - love to be able to keep my favorite gearing 50/34...12-28
Frameset - allow me to build it a la carte with my favorite drivetrain and components

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Steve
Old 08-13-2020, 06:19 PM

Middrive bikes feel more natural than rear hub drive. It's very noticeable to me at least. Cannondale's ebikes are pretty impressive. I haven't ridden their road bikes, but I've ridden the Canvas Neo and Treadwell models. Great range and super smooth.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:42 PM

in my cycling group

for folks who want to do normal fastish club rides the two brands i see most are mid drive Spec Turbo Creo and rear hub Orbea Gain E. these are pedal assist so you gotta pedal...to get the assist. seems to me all these folks on both brands are having a really good time. they both come in around 29 pounds and are available in carbon and aluminum. would love to hear, read these two approaches in a detailed comparison. i currently ride a Roubaix and think the transition to Turbo Creo would be nearly seamless and the geo would be spot on for me (tall headtube). afraid of how much i might like it, so won't allow a test ride yet.