Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 04:50 PM

Tubeless tire inflator seater for $14.99

I watched this video: https://youtu.be/NB08gNYrLhI

I bought this at Home Depot for $14.99: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Ga...HDXA/307766539

I cut off some bits I didn't need and added some electrical tape and reassembled basically as directed in video.

Works like a champ. Seated my 700c Panaracer 38mm Gravel Kings on first attempt.

10% of cost of Topeak or Blackburn solution.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:06 PM

Good Lord and OMG! THANK YOU FOR THE SHARE.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2020, 05:24 PM

Wow...that looks great!!

I’ll be picking up one next time I’m at Home Depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2020, 05:45 PM

thanks! I have used the 2l coke bottle one with mixed results.. I'm ready for the upgrade! video of coke bottle version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa4gP5wGN4w
Old 07-06-2020, 05:52 PM

Fantastic! Thanks!! I don't have a compressor, so if the Topeak Mountain X floor pump I just bought won't seat the Panaracer GravelKing SS I have coming, I can hit up the Lowe's and get it done!
Old 07-06-2020, 05:54 PM

I was able to seat 28mm conti 5ks on stans alpha 340s by mounting the tires, ensuring the valve stem was between (rather than under) the beads, filling the tire with 2oz of sealant (remove valve core and dump sealant into the valve, then spin the wheel to spread the sealant), and then pumping with a lezyne “hi volume” pump. Was that luck? Seemed relatively straightforward.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybike View Post
I was able to seat 28mm conti 5ks on stans alpha 340s by mounting the tires, ensuring the valve stem was between (rather than under) the beads, filling the tire with 2oz of sealant (remove valve core and dump sealant into the valve, then spin the wheel to spread the sealant), and then pumping with a lezyne “hi volume” pump. Was that luck? Seemed relatively straightforward.
Im able to seat about 50% of the tire-rim combos I try with soapy water and a track pump. The other half require a quick HV blast of air like the OPs setup would provide. Nice hack.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:17 PM

I think with the newest combos of road tubeless tires and rims the HDX pump like the OP posted works most of the time, but if you're trying to seat stubborn and/or older rim and tire combos it really isn't that effective. While it has the volume, it simply cannot get up to a high enough pressure for pushing up stubborn combos IME.

Now if you're only dealing with tires 35mm or larger the HDX should work just fine.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:15 PM

Wish I'd seen that video a couple years ago. I can see that being a nice option on a trip, just toss it in the trunk next to your floor pump. Can also use it to spray yourself (or bike) post ride.
But after finally breaking down and buying a compressor I can't imagine why I went so long without one. Sooo many uses, bike and otherwise. Just get the compressor that you're going to buy eventually and save yourself the headache.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:47 AM

Quote:
"Road" is a lot easier, I've seated them (5ks) with my floor pump as well, even without removing cores first. You're using good technique as well. For the MTB tires (I can use 2.1 on my gravel wheels) it takes a blast of air.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:57 AM

Probably silly ?, think the 1gal model work just fine?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 AM

So, adding onto this thread's tubeless technique:

swapping tires onto new rims. Any tricks? Cant' seem to get my GP5ks to seat after they were mounted on my stans and then moved to another rim.

Should i dump all the sealant and clean em or something?
Old 08-18-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
So, adding onto this thread's tubeless technique:

swapping tires onto new rims. Any tricks? Cant' seem to get my GP5ks to seat after they were mounted on my stans and then moved to another rim.

Should i dump all the sealant and clean em or something?
Seem too tight or too loose?

If too tight, might try soapy water to help it seat and a strong blast of air. Use an air compressor or air canister and take the presta valve out to get a strong blast.

Too loose, might try another layer of rim tape on the new rim.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Thanks -- so, the tire didn't seem loose or tight the first time I mounted it on the rim (second time it had been mounted). But, i noticed that i mounted it backwards so given covid free time, i removed it and then flipped it and re-mounted (third time put onto a rim).

Inflated easily the first time on this rim, but won't inflate easily this time.

Can go try the compressor route before more rim tape -- have a hunch it isn't the tape since it's a DT swiss rim with their tubeless rim bed. Could it be that there's some dry sealant on the tire that's preventing it from moving up/down the rim and seating?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks -- so, the tire didn't seem loose or tight the first time I mounted it on the rim (second time it had been mounted). But, i noticed that i mounted it backwards so given covid free time, i removed it and then flipped it and re-mounted (third time put onto a rim).

Inflated easily the first time on this rim, but won't inflate easily this time.

Can go try the compressor route before more rim tape -- have a hunch it isn't the tape since it's a DT swiss rim with their tubeless rim bed. Could it be that there's some dry sealant on the tire that's preventing it from moving up/down the rim and seating?
I've run into this before. Just go around the bead on both sides with your finger or a rag and pull any gunk off/make sure it feels smooth. Can you feel where the air is escaping when you try to inflate?