Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
^^^this was the problem I had with the Topeaks that I killed: It seemed like whatever part was failing was upstream of the head and hose, but downstream of the plunger? so most of the time neither the rebuild kit nor a complete replacement head solved the issue.

Gonna start looking into this "maintenance" thing of which some folks speak...
I found that the only wear parts in the Topeak TwinHead that were not available as service parts were the two internal O-rings. I measured them and found they were standard M2x10 rubber O-rings. I haven't needed any of the Topeak repair parts, but I have replaced the O-rings on one head.

Greg
Old 05-06-2020, 03:25 PM

+1 for the Joe Blow Sport. I’m guessing mine is about 15 years old now. No problems and still going strong.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I've been through many pumps and my take is they all wear out. All of them.

It doesn't matter what you spend, if you use it hundreds or thousands of times per year it's going to wear out.
I'm actually surprised to see so many brands recommended. My thoughts on pump recommendations are Silca, Silca and then maybe a Silca.

I can't count the number of guys I know who were serious racers back in my day, have been riding ever since the 1980s, and who still have and use their Silca floor pumps, including me. I bought one of the new Silcas because it has a larger gauge (so I can read the thing with older eyes). Not that I really needed it. But I'll say that the new ones are even better than the old ones.

I suspect my 1985 Silca will still be working when I'm too old to ride, and my joke with my niece is that she will get the new one in my Will. I suspect she will hand it to the next generation. It's the most over-engineered and overbuilt thing I own. And the cost? By comparison, how much do we spend in pubs in 30 years? Drink one less beer per year and you've got it covered.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:17 PM

I have a $40 bontrager floor pump that I’ve owned for over a decade now. It is sturdy, has ergonomic handles and a decently large gauge. I had a chuck issue once a few years back and they sent me a new one no questions asked. Highly recommend.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-pump/p/24839/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I had a Silca pump that I bought in the late '70s and thought it was great at the time. There is a mythology around the Silca pump because it was one of the few good pumps in that era and had that great brass air chuck for Presta valves. Now that there are a wide variety of decent pumps that work well up to road bike pressures, I don't really miss the old Silca.
My old Silca I purchased in the early 80s finally had to be replaced about 3 years ago, I tried a Joe Blow that fell apart within a season, and a second Joe Blow sent as a warranty replacement was crap too. Both are in my garage and functional, but a pain to use. I went back to a Silca. With the Hiro head, the thing is great. Well worth the money. I do have a compressor I use to seat tubeless tires though.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:52 PM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I sold a TON of Blackburn..had very, very few come back. Hard to beat lifetime, no questions asked, warranty either.
I've got 25 years on my old Blackburn floor pump... the only change is a Hirame pump head.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:55 PM

Interesting that there are two votes against the SKS Airmenius. I have one, along with several others (including a mid-80’s Silca, a Silca Ultimate, a Joe Blow and a Park). The Joe Blow is the best value cost-wise, but imo the SKS is the best value in terms of cost/performance. It is sturdier and has a much higher capacity than the Joe Blow, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. For me, the new Silca is hands-down the highest quality and best performing (some here have had issues with theirs but mine has been trouble-free).
Old 05-06-2020, 08:24 PM

Thumbs up

Great thread and lots of good info here as I'm wanting a new pump. Have a Park Tool pump and it's ok, about 10-12 years old or so. Has not broken, just doesn't pump quickly and the pump head is finicky.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:52 PM

Both of the air compressors I've bought are still going strong, just saying.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 05-06-2020, 10:54 PM

I told this story on the last 4 pump questions, but here goes:
I worked as a mechanic for many years supporting multi day rides. Those riders (as many as 350) could really tear up pumps. Every morning, I laid out 8 to 10 pumps for the riders to pump up before and after breakfast. Some famous pumps named on here didn't last the first day of the rides,
The pumps that really stood up to abuse were:
Silca Super pista
SKS Airmenius
Pedro's Super Prestige

I have sold off 8 of my support pumps. I'm keeping my personal Silca, the SKS (my favorite!) and the Pedro's.
I have one more Silca I am selling. It has a new hose, rubbers, leathers and one way valve.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:15 PM
Vendor

My Silca Super Pista (original) has been going strong for years. I can't say the gauge is too accurate since I can't see the tiny numbers. I put a Topeak Smart Head on so I could pump up kid bikes. The Topeak seems to really grab hold of the Schrader valves and I have to give it a good pull to remove it from the valve. Other than that, no complaints. I bought a new leather plunger from the new Silca. I never really noticed the initial dead space when pumping since it just gradually increased over the years. The new plunger made a huge difference. Maybe last year something got caught in the check valve. I unscrewed it, took out what looked to be part of an o-ring or something, slapped it back together and all is good.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 PM

I have the same Topeak. It's been with me for 7 years. Still works like new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Thirteen years ago, I asked the lead mechanic at my LBS for his floor pump recommendation. He said the least expensive Topeak pump (Joe Blow Sport) was the most reliable and what the staff used at the shop. It has been 100% reliable in my use ever since. The steel base and pump barrel are slightly heavier than other pump materials, but they are very durable. I liked the Topeak TwinHead so much that I retrofitted it to another pump I have.

Greg
Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 AM
ZhugeLiang

It's a pump for goodness sake, why does it need to be "bulletproof"?

The Joe Blow Sport stays permanently in the car while the compressor provides at-home service.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:02 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
My 1984 silca would like to have a word.
As would my 1977 Silca. Hirame head and Bob’s yer’ uncle.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 AM

I like my Rennkompressor the best, I swapped out the gauge for a bit nicer one and put a Hirame on there. It is the easiest pump to top off road tires before I leave. It is quite the boat anchor though so it doesn't travel.

More portable I've got an inexpensive Serfas TCPG Bicycle Floor Pump that is pretty amazing from the price and works better on higher volume tires and seats most tubeless tires I've used. I was given one once when I rented a road bike and realized it worked pretty well. I keep this one in the car usually.

I've also got one of the small Lezyne pumps that is smaller than a full size floor pump but has much of the function and lives in my travel case.