Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 07:31 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawas View Post
It would be hard for me to do a custom fitting with most of these guys as none of them are local to me.
fwiw most of the custom framebuilders I know of have figured out how to do remote/long-distance "custom fits" without compromising the outcome. I own two custom bikes and I've never gotten within 200 miles of either builder...yet the phrase "like a glove" is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
This thread makes me think that with regard to titanium bikes, anyone who is really good at it turns out great bikes.
I've heard it suggested that titanium is "self-selecting for obsessiveness" ...the folks that build sucky Ti bike frames don't last very long in the industry. All that's left are the folks who excel.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 04-30-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:35 PM

What type of bike? I think some brands seem better aligned with certain type/style of bike. But, to heck with that, get a Bingham. That’s where my money would go. If I had thousands of dollars laying around and my wife didn’t want a new house with a pool.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:36 PM

Another builder I like that I believe can do a relatively quick turnaround that hasn't been mentioned is Wittson. https://wittson.com/. You can order direct or through https://blacksmithcycle.com/. I'm not sure what Wittson does in terms of anodization.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:00 PM

I bought a 333fab from Max 5 years ago. Couldn’t be happier with it. I believe he is doing ano work now. If you are in SoCal he’s an easy drive to the Bay Area for a fitting. He’s super down to earth and easy to work with. His prices are fair. Lastly He has welded for Hampsten and I believe he did a long tour with Seven.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4F8E0FF6-BA40-4077-8742-BA793A572C03.jpeg (73.0 KB, 537 views)
Old 04-29-2020, 08:10 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

I went through this process two years ago & pulled the trigger on a Dean. I wanted a race bike that I could use & abuse. They delivered. Custom bike that fits. 6 week wait. Very reasonable price. I am big fan of Dean.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:48 PM

Seven seems to be up and running at near full production and currently is promising a 6 week (or less) turnaround from fitting.

Not sure where in SoCal you are, but you could get fit @ Summer Cycles in Del Mar and be riding in no time.

When I ordered my Seven (back in 2014) they had a 'firm' 6 week turnaround. I was riding within 4.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I've also taken a look at No 22. Initially the 10yr warranty threw me off but actually, they have a very good product...
https://22bicycles.com/blogs/news/an...-year-warranty
Old 04-29-2020, 10:46 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first high end titanium frame. I've researched pretty much all the big and small names in ti manufacturing. I was drawn to Firefly because of their construction quality, the anodized finish, tapered headtube, and lifetime warranty BUT their turnaround is over a year. Are there any other alternatives I should consider?

Thank you
There are a literal TON of titanium frame companies now. In the end, it's what you're comfortable with, and that includes the price, wait time, finish, geometry if you're doing stock and the design/style of frame. Just understand you're going to be slammed with tons of names. I would say 95% are going to be excellent. The occasional goof happens and sometimes someone has a bad experience vs someone who had a great one. So just take all that into account.

In the end, it's up to you and you need to be happy and comfortable. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2020, 04:57 AM

As a recent recipient of a Bixxis Pathos, my thought process was going with someone who had the same design idea of what I wanted in a bike. I wanted a reflection of a classic Italian race bike with mechanical shifting and limited tire size. It goes against all the trends on this site, but that is what I wanted.

My advice is, look at what you really want the bike to do, and go with someone who will deliver that. No amount of flash or aesthetics will change how the bike feels to you. That said, if I was going to go with someone other than what I did, it would have been Hampsten...(possibly the Strada Bianca), because their bikes function properly. Good luck in the search.

Last edited by Jef58; 04-30-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first high end titanium frame. I've researched pretty much all the big and small names in ti manufacturing. I was drawn to Firefly because of their construction quality, the anodized finish, tapered headtube, and lifetime warranty BUT their turnaround is over a year. Are there any other alternatives I should consider?

Thank you
Moots, but gotta go thru a dealer...

Haven't looked thru all the posts, I'm sure Moots has been mentioned.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Administrator

this thread has me all types of excited.

If we remove the real outliers at the absolute top and bottom end of the price scale - what would you folks say the average price expected to pay for a custom built Ti gravel bike, without excessive add-ons.

is it about $4k? more or less?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:55 AM

If I had to do it again I would go with Kish. But my Indy ti crown jewel from 2007 just wont quit! Seems to only get better over the years......Good luck!
Old 04-30-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

If we remove the real outliers at the absolute top and bottom end of the price scale - what would you folks say the average price expected to pay for a custom built Ti gravel bike, without excessive add-ons.

Yes, I think you are right on the money. $4K +/- can get you a nice custom ti gravel/allroad bike.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:17 AM

Another recommendation for both No22 and Moots, super easy to deal with, great craftsmanship, and some great finish options if that's you're thing
Old 04-30-2020, 08:36 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

For a full custom ti gravel frame, yes, $4000/4250. Stock, about $3500/3750.