Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
This is in memory of the life my late grandfather lived. It's on my inner left bicep (closest to the heart). Loosely translated, it means "One must carry on and push through".

He was orphaned (and lost brothers and sisters) in his childhood years while running from the Nazi's (Russian front). Orphanages for Jewish kids in Russia, post WW2... not a pleasant place. He always worked hard, bettered himself, became an engineer in the Soviet army. Migrated here to Australia in 1979 with his wife and two kids. Was diagnosed with Leukemia and given 6 months. Lived 12 years after that. They don't build them like him anymore.

The most generous, loving and strong person I have or will ever meet. The phrase is written on his gravestone. It was his motto for life. I was lucky to have him as a father figure until my early 30's. I got it done on the first birthday (of his) after his passing, because it's in memory of his life - not his death.

That's pretty cool. Beats the hell out of "shut up legs".

Losing someone dear, especially early really hurts. Good that you had a great father and role model.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
That's pretty cool. Beats the hell out of "shut up legs".

Losing someone dear, especially early really hurts. Good that you had a great father and role model.
Well put.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:39 PM

I always thought getting a tramp stamp or a back tattoo was like buying a Rembrandt and putting it in the closet where you couldn’t see it.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:42 PM

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyintense View Post
People with tattoos are more likely to commit violent crimes, statistically speaking.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:00 PM

Ive been thinking about a medic alert tattoo on my wrist. I know there is debate if EMTs are trained to notice them or not. I kind of like something like this though (not my wrist).

Old 12-10-2019, 07:03 PM

I live in Japan and tattoos create more hassles than they're worth. I have wanted one from time to time but I waited and the urge left.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:11 PM

Is that a carp I see???
Old 12-10-2019, 07:18 PM

not my thing... so no
Old 12-10-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
That's why you need Turlington's lower back tattoo remover.

Epic...

So in between wives and deployments I met this girl...

I'm in a FOB and sloooooowly get an email with a photo. My name is on her lower back! "Peter." ***??? I dumped her ass in a flash. Since then she's been married twice over, five times total. Me? Only twice... thank you very much.

So this is after I dumped her and I was inked over my name. I'm under the Batman looking icon. Found this on FB.

Last edited by Hellgate; 12-10-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:29 PM

Only an opinion.........our skin is an amazing organism created (in my eyes, I understand maybe not in others) by God. It is his canvas; it protects our body by performing several bodily functions - regulation, protection, and sensation. It can also simply make us look beautiful, each in our own way.

To me, putting ink on our (my) skin, is like taking a Sharpie to Monet's "Water Lilies". Just my take.

To each their own.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:00 PM

[QUOTE=Hellgate;2631076]Epic...

So in between wives and deployments I met this girl...

I'm in a FOB and sloooooowly get an email with a photo. My name is on her lower back! "Peter." ***??? I dumped her ass in a flash. Since then she's been married twice over, five times total. Me? Only twice... thank you very much.

So this is after I dumped her and I was inked over my name. I'm under the Batman looking icon. Found this on FB.
[/QUOTE

Close call...
Old 12-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Only an opinion.........our skin is an amazing organism created (in my eyes, I understand maybe not in others) by God. It is his canvas; it protects our body by performing several bodily functions - regulation, protection, and sensation. It can also simply make us look beautiful, each in our own way.

To me, putting ink on our (my) skin, is like taking a Sharpie to Monet's "Water Lilies". Just my take.

To each their own.
I have a few Orthodox friends that feel similarly. I'm not observant, but I really like the analogy.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 PM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Ive been thinking about a medic alert tattoo on my wrist. I know there is debate if EMTs are trained to notice them or not. I kind of like something like this though (not my wrist).

i got chewed out by my new endocrinologist for having a fresh tattoo until she saw my a1c. its bad for ppl who heal slowly/have weak immune systems to get them done. i cant wait to die.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Yes, I do.

Now at age 61, I have had these for a little over ten years, absolutely no regrets and nothing I would change.

My back. The centerpiece is the inscription from when I was ordained as a Buddhist monk/priest in Thailand. The shoulder piece is a traditional Buddhist depiction of the levels of enlightenment. The lower piece illustrates the interconnectedness of all things - if you look very closely, you can find the sun, the moon, and other symbology representing various elements.
Full Back.jpg

My left shoulder. Stylized lotus flower with Buddhas and inscriptions.
Lotus.jpg

My right shoulder has the first/middle names of all four of my children, in a stylized English/Thai script my oldest daughter and I developed together. She also worked with me in pulling all of these elements together and working with the (local Eugene) tattoo artist to make certain he created the transfers/stencils correctly (took a few drafts to get all of the Thai letters precisely correct!). Obviously, I added my youngest child's name more recently, shortly after he was born almost 6 years ago now.
IMG_20191210_190028821~2.jpg

I work in a professional setting, and although all are covered by my shirt, they don't have to be. The Executive Director of my company has several visible tattoos (and other not generally visible ones). If anything, she completely supports such self-expression. And, sometimes humorously, my tattoos are quite visible when only covered by a white dress shirt - more than once I've had someone tell me that at first they thought I had a really unique shirt . . . until they realized those were tattoos under the shirt.

I frequently gaze at the lotus and the names of my children (especially my now deceased second daughter - I thought about memorializing her death by somehow adding to her name tattoo, but similar to the earlier comment here, realized that it is about the life she lived, and the love that continues to this day, not about her death). And my oldest daughter and I realized that my back, although not generally visible to me, was not only the appropriate location for those pieces given their size, but also because the ever-present, yet hidden, mindfulness of Buddhism is somehow conveyed by that placement.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
"...I'm in a FOB..."
Forward Operating Base or Friends and Other Benefits?