Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 PM

PCH is a nightmare, definitely avoid as much as possible.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:56 PM

***Unless you're willing to drive to the west end of Malibu, and then ride towards Oxnard/Hueneme.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM

Okay, so well skip PCH. Y’all have recommendations close to that area?
Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas515 View Post
Okay, so well skip PCH. Y’all have recommendations close to that area?

Sure, tell me by when you need them. And preference on desired distance + elevation would help
Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Sure, tell me by when you need them. And preference on desired distance + elevation would help
Just by next Thursday! I’d like to do 30-50 miles and open to any elevation. Just enjoying the scenery
Old 12-12-2019, 11:07 PM
Vendor

I visit the SoCal/LA area at least once a year. Latigo is fantastic, but the ride on PCH from Santa Monica is really sketchy. For mtn biking, I've been hitting up the trails around Echo Mtn. Last time I was there I parked at the end of Lower Gabrelino Trail, took the road to Merrill trail to Sunset Ridge to Malliard Canyon to El Prieto and back down Gabrelino. Merrill is a very technical single track climb, but it gets you to some beautiful views and descents.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:23 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Just by next Thursday! I’d like to do 30-50 miles and open to any elevation. Just enjoying the scenery
OK, here you go. I was going to DM you but figured these might benefit others. Apologies in advance if the commentary is too extensive. I'll follow this up with a second route in another post.

Route 1: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31590290 ~43 miles, 5700'

Starts at the intersection of PCH and Las Flores Canyon. There is parking along PCH in either direction from Las Flores. Starts with about 4 miles of flat warmup on PCH, traffic generally not too bad, then a little detour past Malibu City Hall and a gentle right turn onto Malibu Canyon Road (Pepperdine University on your left). Some rolling terrain on a moderately trafficked road, through a tunnel (would be good to have a rear light anyway), and a right turn at the first signal you encounter (mile 8.5):

Piuma Road. A beautiful 5+ mile climb, 1700', average grade about 6% with just a few pitchy pieces, with beautiful ocean views to your right and valley to the left. (Note: at mile 8.8 there is a fire station on the left with a water fountain.) After the summit, a quick descent of just under a mile, then a sharp left hand turn (careful, this turn is off camber, go slow, mile 14.7):

Schueren Road. A brief 2.5 mile climb to Saddle Peak, stop for a photo if you like, sea & valley, or wait because you'll be back to the same spot later. The road technically becomes Saddle Peak Rd at this point, has one more little climb then a really fun descent -- if you're a confident descender you will only need your brakes a couple of times, but perhaps discretion is the better part of valour. You'll arrive at a T intersection, turn left (mile 19.8):

Tuna Canyon Road (don't worry, not the scary part). This part of the descent requires more caution, still very fun but blind corners and the possibility of a few cars, plus some small drainholes that you'd prefer not to roll over if you can miss them. Another T intersection, another left turn (mile 22.6):

Topanga Canyon Road, just a half mile, then a gentle left onto Old Topanga Canyon (careful of oncoming traffic). Six miles of beautiful shaded road, fresh new pavement, gentle grade then a short burst, a short descent, then a moderate climb, then a fun fast descent. At the signal a left turn (mile 28.8):

Mulholland Highway. Only 1.6 miles but a deceptively steep short climb at the end, then a right turn (mile 30.5):

Dry Canyon Cold Creek: just a couple of mile detour that parallels Mulholland, keeps you away from cars, and a fun descent (known as "7 minute hill" going the other direction -- that is nearly a pro-level time). At mile 32.5 you'll merge again with Mulholland, and then almost immediately make a left turn (mile 32.7):

Stunt Road. Very similar climb to Piuma, about a mile shorter, bringing you back to Saddle Peak. (Note: roughly around 36.3, almost at the top of the climb, there is a driveway on your right with a water fountain…in case you need it.) After a respite to enjoy the view, turn right to descend Schueren, you can let it rip until you come to the T intersection and turn left (mile 38.5):

Rambla Pacifica. You're about to enjoy a thrilling descent. Watch your speed, stay in your comfort zone. Approaching mile 40.3 keep your eyes up for a green sign indicating a left turn for Pacific Coast Highway (you're not actually close to PCH, this is directional) -- you will need to make a slight left (there's a second similar green sign at the junction), very brief climb, then a mile of some real fun, like a roller coaster. This is Hume Rd. You will then come to a T intersection, turn right (mile 41.4):

Las Flores Canyon. Still some very fast descending, moderate your speed, the pavement is new but there is often gravel and other detritus in this section. Finish the runout and hit PCH, head back to your car.

(FYI: this route in reverse would also be excellent, but be warned: Las Flores-Hume-Rambla is a hard climb, 3+ miles of sustained double digit grades. If that's your kind of thing, be my guest).
Old 12-13-2019, 01:13 AM
#RYFB

OK, Route 2: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31590406 ~50 miles 6k feet

Start at Trancas Market, there is ample parking both in the lot and on Trancas Canyon Road.

Head south on PCH, just under 6 miles of warmup, flat at first then a bit of rolling. At mile 5.8 turn left (apologies, but at this point on the route ridewithgps does one of its stupid things trying to prevent you from making a left turn for no discernible reason; this adds .5 miles and screws up the mileage markers -- I'm going to use the markers from the route but in reality you'll be .5 mile behind…or you can follow the .5 mile detour):

Latigo Canyon Road. A fantastic 10 miles -- roughly 6 up, 1 down, 1 up, 1 down. You can be pretty free on the descents but each has one or two tight corners so be alert. It's as good as everyone here has said, and if it's a weekday I'll be surprised if you encounter more than 3 cars. At the stop sign, turn right (mile 16.3):

Kanan Dume Road. Bit more than half a mile but be aware, cars go fast here. At the signal turn left (mile 16.8):

Mulholland Highway. Brief climb, at the fork in the road stay to the right to stay on Mulholland (mile 17.7). Some very pretty rolling terrain here, sadly the remains of a Frank Lloyd Wright house on your left that burned in the recent fires, keep your eyes open on the right as you approach mile 20 to catch a glimpse (or, if you like, a picture) of both a Dromedary and a Bactrian camel (it's Malibu, Jake). Turn left at the stop sign (mile 20.2):

Technically this is still Mulholland though it's coincident with highway 23. Continue to mile 22.1 and make a right, still Mulholland. You now get a 7.5 (mostly) descent with some rolling toward the end, new pavement. Unless things have changed you will encounter a "Road Closed to thru traffic" barrier at the top -- you are ok to proceed. Really fun but watch the road surface carefully, since it's closed they don't sweep it so there is plenty of detritus. At the stop sign turn right (mile 29.5):

PCH. There is a water fountain in the Leo Carillo campground to your left, but there is also a restaurant upcoming that has water (among other things). It's called Neptune's Net and is just before your next right turn (mile 31.3, also, welcome to Ventura County):

Yerba Buena Road. The first 3.3 miles are just abysmal road surface. I apologize on behalf of Ventura County's department of transportation. It's moderately challenging too, average 6% grade, and the road surface makes it seem harder than that. However, at mile 34.5 veer right to remain on Yerba Buena and receive blessed relief in the form of brand new tarmac. Continue climbing, with some rolling toward the end, then a descent as you cross back into LA County (and leave the fresh pavement), technically you're now on Little Sycamore Canyon Road. At the bottom, a T intersection, turn left (mile 42.1):

Mulholland Highway. Briefly retrace for less than half a mile, T intersection, turn right (mile 42.5):

Decker Road. A brief climb, after which keep your eyes open left for a fire station with a drinking fountain. Then a very fast 4+ mile descent, near the end of which you'll feel like you're about to fall into the ocean. Very careful here -- a number of very tight radius turns littered through the descent, and a very sharp pair of hairpins near the bottom. Turn left on PCH and roll a brief 3 miles back to your car and maybe a treat at Trancas Market. Congratulate yourself for making an excellent choice.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
OK, Route 2: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31590406 ~50 miles 6k feet

Extremely excited about these! Thank you so much!
Old 12-13-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
OK, here you go. I was going to DM you but figured these might benefit others. Apologies in advance if the commentary is too extensive. I'll follow this up with a second route in another post.

Route 1: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31590290 ~43 miles, 5700'

Starts at the intersection of PCH and Las Flores Canyon. There is parking along PCH in either direction from Las Flores. Starts with about 4 miles of flat warmup on PCH, traffic generally not too bad, then a little detour past Malibu City Hall and a gentle right turn onto Malibu Canyon Road (Pepperdine University on your left). Some rolling terrain on a moderately trafficked road, through a tunnel (would be good to have a rear light anyway), and a right turn at the first signal you encounter (mile 8.5):

Piuma Road. A beautiful 5+ mile climb, 1700', average grade about 6% with just a few pitchy pieces, with beautiful ocean views to your right and valley to the left. (Note: at mile 8.8 there is a fire station on the left with a water fountain.) After the summit, a quick descent of just under a mile, then a sharp left hand turn (careful, this turn is off camber, go slow, mile 14.7):

Schueren Road. A brief 2.5 mile climb to Saddle Peak, stop for a photo if you like, sea & valley, or wait because you'll be back to the same spot later. The road technically becomes Saddle Peak Rd at this point, has one more little climb then a really fun descent -- if you're a confident descender you will only need your brakes a couple of times, but perhaps discretion is the better part of valour. You'll arrive at a T intersection, turn left (mile 19.8):

Tuna Canyon Road (don't worry, not the scary part). This part of the descent requires more caution, still very fun but blind corners and the possibility of a few cars, plus some small drainholes that you'd prefer not to roll over if you can miss them. Another T intersection, another left turn (mile 22.6):

Topanga Canyon Road, just a half mile, then a gentle left onto Old Topanga Canyon (careful of oncoming traffic). Six miles of beautiful shaded road, fresh new pavement, gentle grade then a short burst, a short descent, then a moderate climb, then a fun fast descent. At the signal a left turn (mile 28.8):

Mulholland Highway. Only 1.6 miles but a deceptively steep short climb at the end, then a right turn (mile 30.5):

Dry Canyon Cold Creek: just a couple of mile detour that parallels Mulholland, keeps you away from cars, and a fun descent (known as "7 minute hill" going the other direction -- that is nearly a pro-level time). At mile 32.5 you'll merge again with Mulholland, and then almost immediately make a left turn (mile 32.7):

Stunt Road. Very similar climb to Piuma, about a mile shorter, bringing you back to Saddle Peak. (Note: roughly around 36.3, almost at the top of the climb, there is a driveway on your right with a water fountain…in case you need it.) After a respite to enjoy the view, turn right to descend Schueren, you can let it rip until you come to the T intersection and turn left (mile 38.5):

Rambla Pacifica. You're about to enjoy a thrilling descent. Watch your speed, stay in your comfort zone. Approaching mile 40.3 keep your eyes up for a green sign indicating a left turn for Pacific Coast Highway (you're not actually close to PCH, this is directional) -- you will need to make a slight left (there's a second similar green sign at the junction), very brief climb, then a mile of some real fun, like a roller coaster. This is Hume Rd. You will then come to a T intersection, turn right (mile 41.4):

Las Flores Canyon. Still some very fast descending, moderate your speed, the pavement is new but there is often gravel and other detritus in this section. Finish the runout and hit PCH, head back to your car.

(FYI: this route in reverse would also be excellent, but be warned: Las Flores-Hume-Rambla is a hard climb, 3+ miles of sustained double digit grades. If that's your kind of thing, be my guest).
Thanks for this! I'll use it myself when I'm visiting LaLa Land...
Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thanks for this! I'll use it myself when I'm visiting LaLa Land...
Happy to, hope they're helpful to others.

Feel free to reach out in advance of your visit, maybe I can provide the guided tour version ;-)
Old 12-13-2019, 04:04 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Extremely excited about these! Thank you so much!
My pleasure, hope you enjoy them.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:06 PM

GMR/GRR/Mt Baldy is a great ride for climbing. Crystal Lake as well.