Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
My first was a 2002ti, such a blast to drive in Germany. This baby was heavy modded when I got it and scary fast for the times.

Now that's what a BMW should look like. 20 years ago, the German brands each had their own distinct look, i.e., the BMW overbite. Now, the designs have melted in to one ubiquitous look trending towards Tesla.

My present ride. Just love the look and the monster V-8 5 liter. It roars. It's my Miami Vice car.

IMG_6167 by Robert Copple, on Flickr

And for S&G, an OT gratuitous shot of my "kit." Just came across the photo while I was looking for the MB pic.
IMG_6315r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 12-08-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I had an E46 M3 (2006) -- loved that car and hated to sell it (for reasons not at all the car's fault) early this year.

And, FWIW, did not find it unreliable.

My 2014 X3 35i is definitely not better in every way -- not that it's supposed to be a sports coupe -- but it does have practical advantages in many contexts, and even the smallish SUV seems recognizably a bimmer.
Thanks! As a former BMW owner, had my old E34 535i for 24 yrs, I was contemplating a X335i or X328i. My buddy has a 2015 X328i and loves it. Says it is fun to drive and hasn't required much work, yet. But then another friend's daughter was getting rid of her 2015 Lexus IS350 f sport with 38k miles for $20k?! I couldn't pass it up! Except for the stupid mouse thing in the car it has been excellent! Can't praise the car enough. But since you appear to want a bimmer, I go for it! An X335i or 328i would be a good choice. Just find a good indy mechanic and follow the old school maintenance schedule. Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2019, 12:30 PM

I love the M Coupe. I run with M Coupes once in a while at the track in HPDE.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2019, 03:50 PM

I have a 2013 1er and it’s been great but if I were in the states I just wouldn’t buy a BMW no matter the deal especially an 8 year old BMW
Old 12-08-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
I have a 2013 1er and it’s been great but if I were in the states I just wouldn’t buy a BMW no matter the deal especially an 8 year old BMW
If your 1er is a hatchback (or an M), I'd kindly take it off your hands
You can have my wife's X1. Although she might protest...
Old 12-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
If your 1er is a hatchback (or an M), I'd kindly take it off your hands
You can have my wife's X1. Although she might protest...
The 1er is a 4dr hatch and my wife’s, she’ll likely trade it for an x1 this year.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
The 1er is a 4dr hatch and my wife’s, she’ll likely trade it for an x1 this year.
2 door 1 series hatch would be my vote. Jealous! BMW gave up on USA hatches years ago. Can't really blame them. They didn't sell. Liked my 318ti and love my M Coupe! Only non hatch I've ever owned was a little Toyota pickup. Hatch backs are way more useful and in my opinion, much better looking.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Tell me more about your M5, that is a grail car for me.

Was definitely one for me too. The E39 M5 is pretty much everything that has been written about it, it's a beast. I had a 996 turbo, but sold it to go back to the M5. Smooth, powerful and incredible to drive. They're still reasonably priced, but look to be on the rise.

75k miles, black with carmel interior, never tracked/wrecked, some minor modifications - bluetooth with interior mic for calls, short shift, angel eyes, larger nav screen, beastpower sway bar mounts, privacy shades (factory).

It's in great shape and I'd have no trouble selling it to a friend.

Shoot me a message if you're interested, I have plenty of pics and happy to answer any questions at all.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
BMW gave up on USA hatches years ago.
This statement is ridiculous. All X series cars have hatchbacks! What BMW didn’t want to do was bring in a car under $50k so Americans never got the 1 series. Of course, their justification was they didn’t have time to design the 1 series for American bumpers and catalytic converters, which is hogwash. Too bad as I would have loved to get a 1 series!

BMW has bigger problems now as it’s struggling to make a BEV that can compete with Tesla. Their 3 series was their bread and butter car and is now selling poorly. You should be able to find used ones cheap....Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
My first was a 2002ti, such a blast to drive in Germany. This baby was heavy modded when I got it and scary fast for the times.

I'm sure it was one heck of a car. BMW's were proper enthusiast motor cars back then and for a few years after that.

But I have to ask......about the M1....
Old 12-09-2019, 09:48 AM

wow lots of great information in this thread!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulp View Post
wow lots of great information in this thread!
You mis-spelled 'biases' there tough guy

M
Old 12-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
This statement is ridiculous. All X series cars have hatchbacks! What BMW didn’t want to do was bring in a car under $50k so Americans never got the 1 series. Of course, their justification was they didn’t have time to design the 1 series for American bumpers and catalytic converters, which is hogwash. Too bad as I would have loved to get a 1 series!

BMW has bigger problems now as it’s struggling to make a BEV that can compete with Tesla. Their 3 series was their bread and butter car and is now selling poorly. You should be able to find used ones cheap....Good Luck!
Further, all their "4 door coupes" and "GTs" have hatchback too. BMW is so full of it.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
You mis-spelled 'biases' there tough guy

M
Mom always said I was too gullible!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattledl View Post
Was definitely one for me too. The E39 M5 is pretty much everything that has been written about it, it's a beast. I had a 996 turbo, but sold it to go back to the M5. Smooth, powerful and incredible to drive. They're still reasonably priced, but look to be on the rise.

75k miles, black with carmel interior, never tracked/wrecked, some minor modifications - bluetooth with interior mic for calls, short shift, angel eyes, larger nav screen, beastpower sway bar mounts, privacy shades (factory).

It's in great shape and I'd have no trouble selling it to a friend.

Shoot me a message if you're interested, I have plenty of pics and happy to answer any questions at all.
Had a black/carmel e39 M5. Great color combo. I liked it, but a) the small gas tank drove me nuts and b) it was a beast of burden compared to my all time favorite car, an E28 m5. I sold the e28 to buy a 911 targa, but wish I coulda kept it.