Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
"...The one thing that entered my mind when getting a custom bike - initialing it.
That would surely impact resale value. I did think about that..."
All my custom bicycles feature my name under the clearcoat.
There for perpetuity or at least until the bicycle is used-up and goes to the landfill!

Old 12-06-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Disc brakes.

I cannot see myself buying a non-disc bike anytime soon and I guess neither can anyone else.
Welp, a nice Surly Cross-Check in my size was listed on CL yesterday for $200 so.....you can forget I said anything about buying a non-disc bike anytime soon cuz it's sitting in my garage
Old 12-06-2019, 01:02 PM

It's no doubt been said already, but it's way overpriced (in my opinion).

I don't think the spec/build helps it either; most Campag groupsets can be sold for a decent amount second hand, but 11 speed Athena never seems to go for much (I think due to the Powershift/Powertorque).

This isn't a dig by the way, it's just that I buy all of my stuff used so have a reasonable amount of knowledge of the market.

As always, parting it out and selling it all separately will get you the most money.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Johnson View Post
Greetings, Paceliners,

It has been some time since I have posted here. Not riding as much since heart surgery in March 2018.

As some of you have seen in the past, I have tried to sell my Hampsten Team Pro in several places: Craigslist, eBay, as well as Paceline. I have had questions about size, measurements, tire capacity, blah, blah, blah. The price has gone from what some have called high to what now seems almost laughably low for such quality as this frameset represents, let alone the mix of components on the bike. Still no bids or offers. None.

This sounds like a sour grapes rant, but I would really like to understand what is going on in the marketplace. I can be realistic, but resist giving away this or other quality bikes I would like to sell. Is there just a glut of bikes around?

Thanks in advance for reasonable replies.

TC
Your narrative, while both familiar and persuasive, is a single data point.

It would be better to ask advice from some of the sellers that move spendy bikes here, with ease and regularity.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Your narrative, while both familiar and persuasive, is a single data point.

It would be better to ask advice from some of the sellers that move spendy bikes here, with ease and regularity.
I’ve been buying and selling high end bikes on this forum for a very long time. Here is the order in which a high end bike sells with ease:

Price
Price
Price
Condition
Price
Price
Price
Size
Price
Price
Price
Bike frame, not a complete bike
And...
Price
Old 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM

I have to agree with steve...

There's other issues aswell... condition is one of them but here you are dealing with people that has, had and will have at some point whatever the high end word means.

EM, De Rosa, Colnagos and every high end american builder are bread and wine of every day supper here, so is not like the guys havent seen or will drool about it so much that they will drop a couple of grands into something that they know they will see again at some point.

Guys have their bucket lists and if what is there for sell is not appealing visually (or needs a lot of money to get it right) the guys will sit and will wait because as i said before... at some point something will show up in the right condition for the right numbers.

We have seasons too, like 2 months ago was EM day after day and the stuff was sitting there, other times had been De Rosas, then TItanium american builders and so on and so far.

So at the end is... $ and Condition or the things will sit there... ebay is the same, buyers know that at some point the right numbers and condition will show up.

We havent done stats about the brands he own.... would be interesting to see that from the whole universe of forumites like 70% has an EM for example.

If you want to sell stuff sometimes you have to throw freebies as incentive, that works IMO, but from there to get all the money put in a bike since day one is just impossible because we (i dare to use the word WE) dont care about that because we are in the same boat... neither care about the sentimental value nor about if rare or not, as i said before something could be really rare outside the forums or in the street, but here is bread of every day.

In general lines as steve said... if something is sitting is because the numbers are wrong, condition is wrong or just nobody needs it which is the case sometimes but if the number is right the impulsive buyers will jump to those items right away even if they do not need it or even if is the wrong size.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 12-06-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I’ve been buying and selling high end bikes on this forum for a very long time. Here is the order in which a high end bike sells with ease:

Price
Price
Price
Condition
Price
Price
Price
Size
Price
Price
Price
And...
Price
Pretty much.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:05 PM

The market is a pretty efficient place. Unless you write a seriously bad ad, things are worth what they're worth. If its worth more to you than the market, keep it. Otherwise, fish or cut bait.
The market for custom steel rim brake bikes is aging out and saturated. Start there.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post

Price
Price
Price
Condition
Price
Price
Price
Size
Price
Price
Price
And...
Price
I've also sold some nice stuff here (multiple Sachs, Seven, Moots, high end Italian, etc, etc...) and the only thing I would add to Steve's post is another line or two of "Price". I consciously price stuff to sell and I don't recall ever having to bump or take more than a day to sell something. I've been around here for a while, and there's always the lament that bikes are not moving...they moved at the depths of the Great Recession and they move when things are good (like today)...If you have something that's not selling it's not the market - it's the seller.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 PM

The seller? would you please elaborate?? in which sense is the seller?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post

I think he means the price that the seller named

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
he means it is the seller pricing a bike too high that results in no sale