Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2020, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Kraft was financially able to send his plane because he just cut 3rd string QB, Cody Kessler, freeing up $910,000.

All joking aside, it's good to see him and others pitch in. I just read a story about a car renovation place, on the north shore - Boston, who switched their operation and is now making face shields for the docs - owner invested his own 10k to do this. There are many of these great stories about private individuals doing what they can. I hope they receive the attention/recognition they deserve.

We should open a separate thread highlighting and acknowledging them.
There was also a small clothing mfr converting to making masks as well but I can't remember the name at the moment. Putting up their own resources to do so and would only charge what ever he was charged for the material needed to make them.

A thread hilighting people pitching in and doing what they can to help would be uplifting.

W.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
It's not that I don't like the story. It's a sweet story. It's just that it's inapt; it doesn't tell us anything useful about our current situation. Quite the contrary.

Here's the thing: it seems to me that the point of your posting that story originally was to buttress your preferences for small government. Which preferences are absolutely fine. But it seems to me that it should be equally fine for other people to suggest the ways in which such preferences are particularly out of step with the scale and scope of a global pandemic. If you'd rather not have people push back against your explicitly political posts, maybe don't post them in the first place?
Seriously?!?!

You zero in on small gov, I was highlighting people willing to do what was needed to get something done quickly. Yes, both involve not waiting for government to get it done, but that wasn't the crux of why I posted it. Just as I posted again about people/mfr's jumping in to help out to get needed supplies to those in need.

You can put your pitchfork down.

W.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Sometimes its easier for individuals and businesses to get things done then to rely on the red tape of big government.
Quote:
Seriously?!?!

You zero in on small gov, I was highlighting people willing to do what was needed to get something done quickly. Yes, both involve not waiting for government to get it done, but that wasn't the crux of why I posted it. Just as I posted again about people/mfr's jumping in to help out to get needed supplies to those in need.

You can put your pitchfork down.
I'm not the one zeroing in on small government (see above for receipts). As for pitchforks, get over yourself. Nobody has any pitchforks. We have pixels. That's it. And if you don't want people pushing back on your overtly political posts, I think, as I've already said, that you should consider not posting them in the first place.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:04 PM
Randomhead

Well, I have a pitchfork. It's great for moving pine needles around. I'm too squeamish to consider poking anyone with it, even as an empty threat.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not the one zeroing in on small government (see above for receipts). As for pitchforks, get over yourself. Nobody has any pitchforks. We have pixels. That's it. And if you don't want people pushing back on your overtly political posts, I think, as I've already said, that you should consider not posting them in the first place.
Obviously you are the one turning this political. I just highlighted people willing to do what was needed to get something done asap.

W.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Well, I have a pitchfork. It's great for moving pine needles around. I'm too squeamish to consider poking anyone with it, even as an empty threat.
It is a helpful tool otherwise.

W.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Sometimes its easier for individuals and businesses to get things done then to rely on the red tape of big government.
Quote:
Obviously you are the one turning this political. I just highlighted people willing to do what was needed to get something done asap.
Let's review. You wrote what you wrote. I pushed back against what you wrote. You don't like that I pushed back? That's absolutely fine. You get to like what you like and dislike what you don't like. But please don't pretend you didn't write what you wrote when there's a record that's so readily available. And again—for the third time now—if you don't want to talk politics, maybe don't post about politics? Easy peasy!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Let's review. You wrote what you wrote. I pushed back against what you wrote. You don't like that I pushed back? That's absolutely fine. You get to like what you like and dislike what you don't like. But please don't pretend you didn't write what you wrote when there's a record that's so readily available. And again—for the third time now—if you don't want to talk politics, maybe don't post about politics? Easy peasy!
and with that - let's drop it, eh? back to Patriots talk here.

(this is my first post in this thread, i have never watched a full game of american football in my life, haha)
Old 04-02-2020, 12:28 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
There was also a small clothing mfr converting to making masks as well but I can't remember the name at the moment. Putting up their own resources to do so and would only charge what ever he was charged for the material needed to make them.

A thread hilighting people pitching in and doing what they can to help would be uplifting.

W.
Outdoor Research?

Another reason to like a great company.

Also, read a nice piece today written by Bill Belichick: “...We are facing a difficult opponent,” ...It will take teamwork, discipline and commitment to do the right things all the time. That includes staying at home. I encourage everyone to shelter in place for as long as necessary as we fight this virus together.....Let’s keep stringing good days together and we will get through this.”

Pretty simple really......

Last edited by Ozz; 04-02-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

(this is my first post in this thread, i have never watched a full game of american football in my life, haha)
Go Pats!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:38 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Go Pats!
May the "Pats" have interesting times ahead.....

Did like the piece by the coach though.....go Seahawks!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Don't like throwball?
Then you need to read and post in the 2019-2020Football/Calcio/Futbol/Fußball Thread.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:27 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Don't start with the Patriots!
Old 04-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Kind of like a story I just read before logging on here...

W.
That's a great story about the road reconstruction and the damage done by cutting trees off the hillside and huge amounts more time & money spent.

To relate it to something on-topic for this forum it reminds of a MTB analogy:

IMBA/AMC/Sierra is to Local Business with local context as the State Trail Construction is to the Road Engineers

IMBA, AMC, Sierra Club style builders come in without any heavy equipment and seemingly carve something sustainable in that naturally sheds rain, etc.. and costs near nothing with volunteer labor. The trail ends up pretty interesting to walk/hike/bike but inaccessible to motor vehicles.

Versus (at least around here) the state builds a trail and they clear cut everything so they can bring heavy equipment in. They build something a truck/jeep can drive down. It's boring, and it ends up having major flooding and erosion issues cause it doesn't follow the natural pattern of the land and doesn't have anything like water bars.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
That's a great story about the road reconstruction and the damage done by cutting trees off the hillside and huge amounts more time & money spent.

To relate it to something on-topic for this forum it reminds of a MTB analogy:

IMBA/AMC/Sierra is to Local Business with local context as the State Trail Construction is to the Road Engineers

IMBA, AMC, Sierra Club style builders come in without any heavy equipment and seemingly carve something sustainable in that naturally sheds rain, etc.. and costs near nothing with volunteer labor. The trail ends up pretty interesting to walk/hike/bike but inaccessible to motor vehicles.

Versus (at least around here) the state builds a trail and they clear cut everything so they can bring heavy equipment in. They build something a truck/jeep can drive down. It's boring, and it ends up having major flooding and erosion issues cause it doesn't follow the natural pattern of the land and doesn't have anything like water bars.
Fortunately/or unfortunately in some instances, state govt has to build to ADA requirements. My old townspeople wanted to build little canoe launch, after the requirements - they canned the idea in case 1 handicap person a year jumps in a kayak. Yes ADA is important, but can ultimately resort to nothing being done or too much