Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post

Give me Nance/Romo over Michaels/Collinsworth
Both are great duos.

Have you listened to a MNF game this year?
Old 01-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
Brady should have retired several years ago. At this point he’s taking the spot of some worthy up-and-comer who is missing out on the chance to play. He’s had plenty of glory and paydays so at this point it’s all ego and also quite sad.
What a bizarre take. He's a defending NFL champion who's won three rings in the past seven (er, I mean, "several") years.

Is he old? For an NFL quarterback, yes. Is he among the hardest working, most talented athletes of all time? Yes. At worst, at age 43, he's a midpack QB. To me it would make sense for the Chargers (who need to sell licenses in a new stadium and have struggled to build a fan base in LA) to sign him for 1 or 2 years.
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Old 01-06-2020, 02:43 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Both are great duos.
Have you listened to a MNF game this year?
yes, of course. But what I like about Romo is he is a lot more vocal about how he reads the play and execution as an ex-QB.

Chris is a good commentator, but many of his comments no longer add the insider insight that Tony provides.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Edwards View Post
What a bizarre take. He's a defending NFL champion who's won three rings in the past seven (er, I mean, "several") years.

Is he old? For an NFL quarterback, yes. Is he among the hardest working, most talented athletes of all time? Yes. At worst, at age 43, he's a midpack QB. To me it would make sense for the Chargers (who need to sell licenses in a new stadium and have struggled to build a fan base in LA) to sign him for 1 or 2 years.
Brady hits the free market so big payday is in order and he said he isnt giving any hometown discounts. Many are talking about the Chargers - new stadium and Brady is a west coast guy and parents reside in CA.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
yes, of course. But what I like about Romo is he is a lot more vocal about how he reads the play and execution as an ex-QB.

Chris is a good commentator, but many of his comments no longer add the insider insight that Tony provides.
Have to agree. Hes a natural offensive coordinator.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Cut him some slack. He once bought a Super Record groupset and a hoodie is all he can afford now.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Coming from a Niners fan, Jerry Rice is the GOAT.
Yeah, there are so many players I'd put above Tom Brady. Tom has been the most protected player in the most defense hampered era of football. We've all seen how quickly he falls apart when the defense is actually allowed to hit him. He wouldn't have last 3 seasons in the 70's and would have had nightmares of Jack Lambert's toothless snarl haunting him for the rest of his life.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Yeah, there are so many players I'd put above Tom Brady. Tom has been the most protected player in the most defense hampered era of football. We've all seen how quickly he falls apart when the defense is actually allowed to hit him. He wouldn't have last 3 seasons in the 70's and would have had nightmares of Jack Lambert's toothless snarl haunting him for the rest of his life.
The refs did a particularly good job of babying him in '08.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:

I don't disagree. Romo is the best right now. He does a lot more, I think, to raise the football IQ of the viewer. And he is more enthusiastic with a sort of contagious energy that the viewer can feel. He just loves football and it comes across.

The surprising thing is that there is such a drop off in talent from Romo to the next guy (I'd say Collinsworth) and then to the next guy (in theory, Aikman). Is this talent really so rare? I guess so. Rex Ryan tried a couple games and was a disaster. ESPN needs to figure out their Monday Night Football team. Gruden was great, despite his over the top personality. He brought a lot of passion and insight.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:12 PM
Randomhead

talent is really rare. Breaking a new guy in takes a long time, and it doesn't always work out. Even the worst announcers are doing a hard job. I hated listening to Dan Dierdorf with a passion, because he couldn't stop saying stupid things. Same for Joe Buck. But the worst thing in the world for TV is dead air. At least that's what most people think. Personally, I like it when they stream with ambient sounds.

As far as Joe Buck goes, if he says anything that really annoys me I just remind myself he couldn't work for a year because he didn't want to go bald.

I was watching a game recently that had Joe Tessitore and Booger McFarland. The combination of Tessitore's breathless style and Booger's enthusiasm was giving me anxiety.

I would love to see Belichick doing color commentary. "Bill, what do you think of that call, did the officials get that one wrong?" Bill: "humph"
Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Edwards View Post

Just my opinion. Lots has been written here about Brady being protected by the refs, and the ~cheating~ accusations. He's been great no doubt. Time to go. Bring in the new. He would be an awesome mentor for a young QB.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
As far as Joe Buck goes, if he says anything that really annoys me I just remind myself he couldn't work for a year because he didn't want to go bald.
After graduating college I waited tables at a very nice restaurant in St. Louis while I was interviewing for corporate drone job. The place had a well known chef and it averaged about a $50-$60 guest check average so you could make some good coin working there.

Anywho.......Joe was a regular and he was one of the biggest jerks I've ever waited on. One night he even made one of the girl servers cry because of something ridiculous. Everyone from the servers, to food runners, to the bartenders to the GM ........all loathed the guy.

You can really tell a lot about a man in the way he treats others who're trying to serve him.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:10 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Gruden was great, despite his over the top personality. He brought a lot of passion and insight.
Gruden was over the top but he did bring the football IQ - just as Madden did before him. Aikman, Gannon, [insert other ex-players] have the insight but they just can't encapsulate it into a sound bite on demand like Romo can. go back and listen ot him absolutely nail why and how vrabel was manipulating the rule book while that 1:46 burn off happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I would love to see Belichick doing color commentary. "Bill, what do you think of that call, did the officials get that one wrong?" Bill: "humph"
We all see the surly hooded post-game presser but go watch the two hour finale of the NFL 100 "quarterbacks". There's Bill and Tom in suits talking like both insiders and wide-eyed fans.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
Just my opinion. Lots has been written here about Brady being protected by the refs, and the ~cheating~ accusations. He's been great no doubt. Time to go. Bring in the new. He would be an awesome mentor for a young QB.
Ever hear of Matt Cassel, Brian Hoyer, Jacoby Brissett, Jimmy Garoppolo? I'm probably forgetting someone.

Regarding announcers, I like Al Michaels and Romo. Romo's best quality is his relaxed manner--there's knowledge, but it's delivered in such an easy-going way. Collinsworth still seems like a know-it-all to me, it always sounds like he's trying too hard. I can't stand Aikman. Great qb, but he sounds like such a dunce and never says anything remotely interesting. The classic Aikman comment is, some receiver is getting thoroughly muckled, the refs don't throw a flag, and Aikman says 'Could go either way, good no-call.' Dude, no one's going to fire you for saying the refs are terrible.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:04 PM
what's a little rust?

Aikman spent years throwing to Michael “Push Off” Irvin. He’s conditioned to be non-committal on fouls that involve receivers.