Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Welp, now the Nuggets have the Lakers right where they want them.
The phrase "theirs to lose" crept into my mind several dozen times during the fourth quarter. Then I remembered: They seem to like being in a hole, no?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If AD and LeBron continue to drop 60 combined, this won't be going much longer. And it'll be a short Finals too.
I wouldn’t count the Heat out. Always foolhardy to bet against the King, but Spoelstra has them playing at a very high level. They also have that secret sauce that makes them eminently more watchable then their SoCal brethren: joy.

Hate on Jimmy Butler all you want (many here do) but I love his bite. Herro has already been mentioned. And Bam is rapidly becoming one of my favorite players. Like a bigger Draymond. (Who has also been the subject of some scorn here)

To my eyes, players like AD and Kawhi play with bloodless efficiency. They’re not very much fun to watch. Give me a Jimmy Butler, Steph Curry, or Doncic. That’s fun basketball.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I wouldn’t count the Heat out. Always foolhardy to bet against the King, but Spoelstra has them playing at a very high level. They also have that secret sauce that makes them eminently more watchable then their SoCal brethren: joy.

Hate on Jimmy Butler all you want (many here do) but I love his bite. Herro has already been mentioned. And Bam is rapidly becoming one of my favorite players. Like a bigger Draymond. (Who has also been the subject of some scorn here)

To my eyes, players like AD and Kawhi play with bloodless efficiency. They’re not very much fun to watch. Give me a Jimmy Butler, Steph Curry, or Doncic. That’s fun basketball.
The Knicks made the finals as an 8 seed in the strike shortened 1999 season with a very weird playoffs. They were a plucky team that was oddly compelling to watch who ran into a team with two galactically talented players for the Spurs. It was not a long series.

Jimmy Butler is about as joyless a basketball player to watch as exists in the NBA. He's Tom Thibodeau in player form, and been run off from three teams now for being a general tool to deal with. Maybe he's found his people in Miami, but he's not appointment viewing.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The Knicks made the finals as an 8 seed in the strike shortened 1999 season with a very weird playoffs. They were a plucky team that was oddly compelling to watch who ran into a team with two galactically talented players for the Spurs. It was not a long series.

Jimmy Butler is about as joyless a basketball player to watch as exists in the NBA. He's Tom Thibodeau in player form, and been run off from three teams now for being a general tool to deal with. Maybe he's found his people in Miami, but he's not appointment viewing.
I remember that Knicks team. Odd, yes. Compelling? Well, I guess it all depends on your definition. Didn’t Marcus Camby get injured during the tip-off? 😉

As for the (likely) Heat-Lakers match up: Two L’acajou croissants (best in the East Bay) says that the Heat take at least two.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 PM

If Marcus Smart is taking 13 three pointers in a must-win playoff game, you're probably not winning that playoff game.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
If Marcus Smart is taking 13 three pointers in a must-win playoff game, you're probably not winning that playoff game.
People love Smart. I get it. He plays hard and occasionally makes a truly spectacular hustle play. But man, he doesn't understand his role—great defense, great flopping, occasional pell-mell drives to the cup—at all. For all of the talk about him being untouchable, I suspect he gets traded this offseason. That said, I have to admit that I don't really know what the Celtics need—other than three more playoff-caliber guys, because they cannot play Ojeleye, Wanamaker, and this version of the Timelord and expect to win big games—to get them over the hump.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Point Adebayo is legitimately scary.

I know the Lakers are going to win, but man do I like Miami's 3-8 players way better than LA.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
People love Smart. I get it. He plays hard and occasionally makes a truly spectacular hustle play. But man, he doesn't understand his role—great defense, great flopping, occasional pell-mell drives to the cup—at all. For all of the talk about him being untouchable, I suspect he gets traded this offseason. That said, I have to admit that I don't really know what the Celtics need—other than three more playoff-caliber guys, because they cannot play Ojeleye, Wanamaker, and this version of the Timelord and expect to win big games—to get them over the hump.
When Stevens started going through Theis, Kanter, Timelord and Grant W. in who-the-hell-knows sort of way, I knew Boston was done. If not tonight, in G7. I feel a bit bad for Hayward who was clearly not 100% but made a huge effort to be there.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:32 PM

Turning to the Finals, I need to see the line, but it seems crazy to bet against 'Bron and AD, especially given that I think the Lakers are more likely to win. On the other hand, the Heat are absurdly well coached, and they have a bunch of wings to throw at 'Bron and Bam to throw at AD. Plus, they have all the shooting in the world. Shrug?
Old 09-27-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
When Stevens started going through Theis, Kanter, Timelord and Grant W. in who-the-hell-knows sort of way, I knew Boston was done. If not tonight, in G7. I feel a bit bad for Hayward who was clearly not 100% but made a huge effort to be there.
I feel bad for Hayward, because he missed the birth of his child to get his ass kicked by Tyler Herro.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:46 PM

A top heavy LeBron Finals team has lost to a plucky team of underdogs before, but Jimmy Butler ain't Dirk, and I don't see how the Heat have answers for a locked in LeBron and an AD who shows up for at least 4 games in a 7 game series. But if there's anyone who knows how to counter LeBron, it's the former LeBron coach.

Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens need to figure out what they want to do with the Celtics. They have two wings who seem to duplicate roles, and a third who looks -- as much I like him -- like a shadow of his former self. I don't think Utah Jazz Gordon Hayward is walking through that door. Then there's the legitimately crazy person in Smart who torpedoes as many games as he wins for them. They swapped Kyrie for Kemba and seemed to regress despite making the conference finals again.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
A top heavy LeBron Finals team has lost to a plucky team of underdogs before, but Jimmy Butler ain't Dirk, and I don't see how the Heat have answers for a locked in LeBron and an AD who shows up for at least 4 games in a 7 game series. But if there's anyone who knows how to counter LeBron, it's the former LeBron coach.

Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens need to figure out what they want to do with the Celtics. They have two wings who seem to duplicate roles, and a third who looks -- as much I like him -- like a shadow of his former self. I don't think Utah Jazz Gordon Hayward is walking through that door. Then there's the legitimately crazy person in Smart who torpedoes as many games as he wins for them. They swapped Kyrie for Kemba and seemed to regress despite making the conference finals again.
I think Boston needs Tatum to get better and become the clear alpha dog. They looked a lot like they didn't know who their closer was in many games. Then Brown and Kemba can slot in at 2 and 3 and you can add role players around that. I don't know if there is a way to get off Hayward's money, but youre right - he's not a 20M/yr guy anymore let alone 32M. Tatum and Brown are still really young. They have time to figure this out.

Last edited by Jaybee; 09-27-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Point Adebayo is legitimately scary.

I know the Lakers are going to win, but man do I like Miami's 3-8 players way better than LA.
That’s not a certainty. Who is the third Laker option? Kuzma? Caruso? If AD is injured/off his game is the King and a bunch of courtiers. I don’t think Miami is going down that easily. I think it goes seven.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 PM

Oh god the Celtics...
Old 09-30-2020, 04:07 PM

There's a game happening tonight, right?

Anyone willing to be Dead Wrong in Public?

I'll take the Lakers in Six.

MVP: The King.
A Star is Born: Bam
A Star is Born (runner-up) Toss-up between Caruso and Herro.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 09-30-2020 at 04:11 PM.