Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 09:59 AM

My 585 has an oval shaped interior steerer tube, and a 1&1/8 expander plug does not fit the HSC5 fork. I used a profile gap cap expander and didn’t tighten the stem very tight.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:03 AM

Good looking bike
Old 08-18-2020, 09:34 AM

almost done

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1597759972

Haven't ridden it yet, so steerer tube to be cut when I'm sure about position. Seems where the stem is now should do it. Maybe 5mm lower. Then I'll chop off the top. I used a colnago expander which is about 80mm long. Even with all the spacers up top it extends well below the stem. Found a fun cinelli top cap, bacon and eggs graphic.

Also leaving bar tape off for the first one or two rides. Make sure i like the position of brake hoods. WCS ritchey Butano bars. A very slight back sweep of 4 degrees and 2 degree flare on the drops. Drop is shallow. Reach not too long. I was looking for comfort. I think I have found it. A few rides will tell me.

My position has fallen really nicely into place. All measurements from my old road bike. Plus, the stem/handlebars are slightly higher right now for added comfort if i want it.

The head tube was supposed to be 164 but actually measures 167. Not sure where the additional length is.

Bought a silver aluminum Ritchey seatpost, just to see if i like the look. Seems ok to me. And it was relatively inexpensive and i could clamp the bike into my bike stand to work on it. I may go Look carbon for the post down the road. For now this works for me.

I have bottle cages for it. When it's totally done I will post another final pick.

Over the weeks I found extra cartridge bearings for the head tube/headset, so I bought two pair...and found spare rear derailleur hangers so bought two of those too, just in case.

Can't wait to take it out on shakedown rides.

This is the first bike I've built using torque wrenches for everything. Curious to see if bolts and such stay in place. Was used to doing it all by feel. Never broke anything except for a few campagnolo seat post bolts. I think some carbon paste in the 90s would have helped me there.

oh, lastly, i'm using my old mavic open pros, record hubs, built by colorado cyclist around 1994. Ordered these before I moved to france. Still true. Hubs smooth. Not sure about another set of wheels. Will ride it this way for a while. See how it goes. 25mm conti 5000 with latex tubes. Should be comfy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200818.look585-0004598.jpg (151.7 KB, 462 views)

Last edited by picstloup; 08-18-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:08 AM
Picshooter

Looking good. An ergo post would be a nice touch.
Get back after a few rides and let us know what you think.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:39 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

TO me, those hubs and the 7700 Dura ace spin like heaven. So maybe just get some A23 Velocity for the wider rim, especially if the brake tracks are getting near end of service life.

ERD is close enough that the rim swap is as simple as tapeing the new rim to the old one and getting busy moving one spoke at a time over after de-tensioning the old wheel. Then true them up up, no stress re-leaving to do either. The Conti will feel a bit different, and to the better, Maybe even 28s for the next set as they will fit the 585. The 4000 28s would not on either rim.

But the 585 is a smooth riding pimp daddy that IMO getting greedy on fat tires is superfluous.

Mine is running tubeless 28 Conti 5K TL on early Fulcrum Zero that are same internal width as an Open Pro. The 585 doesn't care. It's worst is still as good as or better than the best ride quality of most. Sans the Bianchi CV frames by a millimeter.

I have H+Son on the previous wheels, running 28mm Hutchinson Fusion Pro 5 with Latex tube. A little tight but actually ride better than the TL 28s. I think the Alloy spokes on the Fulcrums don't make for as nice vibration dampening as elastic steel spokes do. And they are cx-rays on the H+ Sons wheels as well, Yada.

Enjoy rolling the 585, I know you will.

Last edited by robt57; 08-18-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:27 PM

Look 585

PSA

Although I’m not certain this is the same system as the 585....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153877790242

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jc031699; 08-22-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:39 PM

Personally not crazy about the silver seatpost. A black option to consider is the Fizik Cyrano seatpost.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc031699 View Post
PSA

Although I’m not certain this is the same system as the 585....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153877790242

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, this is for the 586 and 595 which have tapered headtubes.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Personally not crazy about the silver seatpost. A black option to consider is the Fizik Cyrano seatpost.
I looked at that a few months back. Liked it cause it's similar to my old American Classic seat posts that have a separate screw to control tilt. This Ritchey works but any adjustment and i have to revisit tilt again. Seems like I can dial in tilt with the fizik and then play with minor fore/aft position as needed without having to worry about level again.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
I looked at that a few months back. Liked it cause it's similar to my old American Classic seat posts that have a separate screw to control tilt. This Ritchey works but any adjustment and i have to revisit tilt again. Seems like I can dial in tilt with the fizik and then play with minor fore/aft position as needed without having to worry about level again.
Sort of...

On the American Classic post the tilt adjustment is a simple adjustment screw that projects upwards providing a solid stop. The rear screw of the Fizik post serves two functions - tilt adjustment and rear tension. So while it does dial in tilt, that tilt is variable depending upon how much tension is put on either the front or rear screw. More of a see-saw affair.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Sort of...

On the American Classic post the tilt adjustment is a simple adjustment screw that projects upwards providing a solid stop. The rear screw of the Fizik post serves two functions - tilt adjustment and rear tension. So while it does dial in tilt, that tilt is variable depending upon how much tension is put on either the front or rear screw. More of a see-saw affair.
RE the Fizik seatpost: I see it differently. The rear screw tightens down the seat to the post. The front 'wheel' adjusts angle. The rear screw needs to be loose to do the adjusting with the front wheel, but they work independently IMO.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
RE the Fizik seatpost: I see it differently. The rear screw tightens down the seat to the post. The front 'wheel' adjusts angle. The rear screw needs to be loose to do the adjusting with the front wheel, but they work independently IMO.
You are correct, it is the front screw, not the rear that adjusts the tilt. While the wheel does adjust the angle, there is some minor, but noticeable, variation depending upon the amount of tension on the rear screw. Placing a level or angle finder across the saddle will illustrate that angle varies slightly as the screw is tightened or loosened.

Again, having struggled with this a bit recently, slight, but enough to be felt sitting on the saddle. Not a biggie, just not the absolute positive stop of the American Classic implementation.

Last edited by parallelfish; 08-23-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Just got back from spending some time at my mom's, where my Look Ultra 585 currently resides. I managed to get in two rides during my stay, and one of these was a solo 66 miler...and I must say this is indeed one great bike! It just does everything well.

Last edited by Keith A; 10-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:35 PM

Glad it still makes your smile. Mine does as well. In fact, I think it's a better bike than I am a rider.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I think it's a better bike than I am a rider.
Pretty sure that applies to almost all of my bikes.