Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 PM

Using a knockoff if original is discontinued

Would you feel bad about using a knock off part if the original is no longer available?

I'm currently using an unbranded Aeronova handlebar because I can't source an original Aeronova LTD stealth version. They are a bit heavier than the original and I've had no issue with them over the last year but I continue to be bothered that it's clearly a knockoff even if it's unbranded. Unfortunately I'm not really interested in another bar on the market and 3T doesn't make the Aeronova any more.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:35 PM

My concern would be about whether the knockoff is safe to use.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untarded View Post
Would you feel bad about using a knock off part if the original is no longer available?

I'm currently using an unbranded Aeronova handlebar because I can't source an original Aeronova LTD stealth version. They are a bit heavier than the original and I've had no issue with them over the last year but I continue to be bothered that it's clearly a knockoff even if it's unbranded. Unfortunately I'm not really interested in another bar on the market and 3T doesn't make the Aeronova any more.
If it works for you, who cares? It's going to bar tape on it anyway....
Old 08-19-2020, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by untarded View Post

Well, just remember when something that you 'touch' while riding breaks, it can hurt..pedals, seatpost(saddle) or handlebars(stem)...
Old 08-19-2020, 06:37 AM

How good is your dental plan?
Old 08-19-2020, 09:54 AM

From a style or panache standpoint, I don't see any reason why not. Looks the same and is under bar tape as someone mentioned. If you feel strongly about it, and I don't think anyone really should, you can get the real thing when you're able to source one. However, I did once buy a King bottom bracket to replace my Cane Creek for no other reason than my hubs and headset were King, so I do sympathize with any compulsion so get something matching or "real."

On the safety front, you'll hear a lot of FUD from people born between 1946 and 1964 (they melt if you mention their generation by name), telling you or implying all knockoff parts will break catastrophically, but recent data just doesn't back that up. That was partially true in a bygone era when carbon parts were just starting to be produced by factories in China or other far flung places, but even then failures were rare, and the ones you saw were the really bad ones.

Overall, I don't see any issues safety or style wise.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 AM

Born in 1977, and nope I personally wouldn’t buy knock off anything. Support your favorite brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2020, 12:00 PM

Why ask a bunch of people whose experience, knowledge and risk appetite is a complete unknown? I expect you will get every opinion from "It's fine" to "you're crazy" and everything in between.
I am apparently from a generation of alarmist, risk adverse, pathetic morons, so you don't need my opinion, but you should trust some other random clown's opinion because he was born to a different generation.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:19 PM
v a n i l l a

Since you are both bothered and not interested in am alternative why bother posting? Instead buy a mirror and ask the guy in the reflection.

Seriously I would not ride a knock off bar and take this as an alternative to try something else
Old 08-19-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Luggs View Post
Why ask a bunch of people whose experience, knowledge and risk appetite is a complete unknown? I expect you will get every opinion from "It's fine" to "you're crazy" and everything in between.
I am apparently from a generation of alarmist, risk adverse, pathetic morons, so you don't need my opinion, but you should trust some other random clown's opinion because he was born to a different generation.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple View Post
On the safety front, you'll hear a lot of FUD from people born between 1946 and 1964 (they melt if you mention their generation by name), telling you or implying all knockoff parts will break catastrophically, but recent data just doesn't back that up. That was partially true in a bygone era when carbon parts were just starting to be produced by factories in China or other far flung places, but even then failures were rare, and the ones you saw were the really bad ones.

Overall, I don't see any issues safety or style wise.
What 'recent data'?
I don't melt when somebody refers to us as 'baby boomers' BUT whether or not something 'counterfeit', or 'knockoff' breaks has nothing to do with how old a person is that mentions it. Google 'Chinarello'...
These from 15 second google search of 'fake Ritchey parts'...