Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2020, 06:24 AM

Zipp 177 hub cassette spacer for 10 speed

I had to replace a rear wheel so I picked up a brand new Zipp 303 with the 177 style hubs......still running DA 9700 10 speed on my bikes. I’ve noticed that when using the thin spacer supplied in a brand new Ultegra 6700 10 speed cassette that after assembly the cassette is loose on the free hub body. You can grab the larger cassette sprocket and the assembly has some side to side play. Checking my other bikes that have the previous generation Zipp hubs (188) that the cassette is tight on the free hub. Just out of curiosity I put a second spacer at the base of the cassette and now it’s all tight.

What brought this all about was that after fitting the new wheel and new cassette I noticed a rattle in the rear of the bike going over bumps. Swapped over to one of my other wheels......rattling noise is gone.

I’m about to go out and try the new wheel with the second spacer fitted to see if the rattle is gone. If it is gone.....

1) Is there a different spacer that is supposed to be used with this style hub vs what comes in the new 10 speed cassette assembly

2) Leave the second spacer in, reset the rear derailleur adjustments and forget about it

Never ran into this before on any of my previous generation Zipp wheels......Or is it that this generation 11 speed hub is not compatible with 10 speed.

Any assistance is appreciated........
Old 08-19-2020, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemalar View Post
I had to replace a rear wheel so I picked up a brand new Zipp 303 with the 177 style hubs......still running DA 9700 10 speed on my bikes. I’ve noticed that when using the thin spacer supplied in a brand new Ultegra 6700 10 speed cassette that after assembly the cassette is loose on the free hub body. You can grab the larger cassette sprocket and the assembly has some side to side play. Checking my other bikes that have the previous generation Zipp hubs (188) that the cassette is tight on the free hub. Just out of curiosity I put a second spacer at the base of the cassette and now it’s all tight.

What brought this all about was that after fitting the new wheel and new cassette I noticed a rattle in the rear of the bike going over bumps. Swapped over to one of my other wheels......rattling noise is gone.

I’m about to go out and try the new wheel with the second spacer fitted to see if the rattle is gone. If it is gone.....

1) Is there a different spacer that is supposed to be used with this style hub vs what comes in the new 10 speed cassette assembly

2) Leave the second spacer in, reset the rear derailleur adjustments and forget about it

Never ran into this before on any of my previous generation Zipp wheels......Or is it that this generation 11 speed hub is not compatible with 10 speed.

Any assistance is appreciated........
Betting it's an '11s' freehub body and you need the 1.85mm spacer.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Spacers

Yes the spacer that comes with the cassette is 1.85mm. Cassette assembly is loose and rattles with the 1.85mm spacer. Put 2 1.85mm spacers in, rattle is gone. Should I try to use one of the 2.35mm cassette assembly spacers (the black ones that go between some of the cassette sprockets) as an in between, since using the 2 spacers puts me at 3.7mm in spacer width.

Just seems odd.......never ran across this before.........I can’t ride the bike with the rattling noise, I get asked a dozen times by my crew if my bike is going to make it to the end of the ride. The noise is that annoying.......
Old 08-19-2020, 07:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemalar View Post
Yes the spacer that comes with the cassette is 1.85mm. Cassette assembly is loose and rattles with the 1.85mm spacer. Put 2 1.85mm spacers in, rattle is gone. Should I try to use one of the 2.35mm cassette assembly spacers (the black ones that go between some of the cassette sprockets) as an in between, since using the 2 spacers puts me at 3.7mm in spacer width.

Just seems odd.......never ran across this before.........I can’t ride the bike with the rattling noise, I get asked a dozen times by my crew if my bike is going to make it to the end of the ride. The noise is that annoying.......
Put the 1.85 on WITH the shimano 10s 1mm spacer and see...If the cogset will fit only fit with 3.7mm of spacers, something isn't right.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:50 AM

Spacer combo

So the new cassette came with a 1.85mm, I thought that was the only spacer required as my previous generation 11 speed hubs only use the one spacer (I would have to see if they are the 1mm or 1.85mm, but it’s not a concern at this moment). Looking through my parts bin I found a 1mm spacer, I will install that with the 1.85mm that came with the cassette. I’m certain that will address the issue. Thank you for the information.

Wish I had the 2 hours back from replacing my internal frame rear derailleur cable (thinking the noise was the cable housing rattling inside the frame). Then again, it turns out it was due for replacement as the outer sheathing was kind of beat up from rubbing on what appears to be sharp corners inside the frame. Not a big loss as it broke up a rainy day......

Forgot how much internally routed cables require a lot of patience and perseverance.....