Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Retired greyhounds make great pets. Get one that is cat-friendly and have one of each.
^ this. they are physically large but honestly, act more like cats. had a 75lb male retired greyhound for 8 years in a 1bedroom apartment with my wife.

generally very quiet as a breed and they sleep most of the time - 3x 10-15 minute walks a day and they're perfectly happy. if you have a fenced yard they can run they'll love it but most of the time they just want to amble around and nap.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
Well, I am both a cat and a dog guy...we actually have 8 cats here...all homeless strays that showed up at our door and we just can't say no...at this point I am starting to believe the homeless cats must have an app that tells them to come to our place...anyhow...

...we decided to try a small dog...and got a shelter guy we named Jasper...he had been abandoned twice on highway rest stops...maybe 20 pounds...a black shaggy terrier mix...and hands down he is the best dog I have ever had...of course we all say that via loving them...and as for breeds, I would go with a mixed or as they say mongrel...inbreeding really does lead to problems with some of these dogs...and go for a shelter one...the dog will appreciate you and your good family foreever and show it back in spades...that isn't just a cliche either, it is very true.
Good on you cash..GOOD for you...I can't even watch those TV ads of pitiful, abandoned and treated poorly cats and dogs..They are so innocent..all of them..GOOD for you!!
Old 12-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
This is Tebow. She won 46 of 203 races.

She has 6 beds in our house now and makes use of all of them.
Tebow is beautiful and looks to need a dental!

Grey's are great dogs but the OP'r is in Victoria, BC. These guy's do get cold easily.

I would start with a cat and then maybe go from there.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Good on you cash..GOOD for you...I can't even watch those TV ads of pitiful, abandoned and treated poorly cats and dogs..They are so innocent..all of them..GOOD for you!!
ah, thanks Peter...very sweet of you to say that...means a lot to me coming from you! And I really agree with you on your post about keeping them inside if you can...too many things out there...we live way out in the country, very seemingly safe and my favorite cat ever, Finn, insisted on being outside as he was a total hunter...and he somehow got hit...it still tears me up a bit 5 years on...

Last edited by cash05458; 12-08-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Definitely recommend rescue dogs as well. They're tend to be so much healthier than the pure ones.

And just to add to the "keep cats inside" team, cats have big impacts on migratory bird populations. And the feral outdoor cats my neighbors fees drive my dogs bonkers.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Always rescue, dog, cat, bird, other. Always. From a shelter or a group. Save a life, make yours better.
Personally, I'm a dog guy & a small dog guy at that. Somehow I ended up with Pekingeses' for most of my adult life. Never would have thought that would be "my" breed, but they fit my life & are just wonderful little dogs. Every one I've had has been good with kids, strangers, other dogs, and not barky (at least, not unless someone comes in & feels the need to prove they are barky).
Get what fits your lifestyle, but be prepared to give the animal time to adjust. I've heard it takes 3-6 months for an abused or abandoned animal to fully adjust to their new life. Give them & yourself time.
Enjoy our new friend!
Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 AM

2 dogs, cat, parrot (eclectus - 22 years old). I have been a bird person since 1970.

Dogs of course are hardest for vacations. Cats just toss them some food and they are fine, you are visitors to a cat not the otherway around.

Dogs have a special bond with kids. Our 28 year old daughter, living on her own for 5 years considers the dogs hers.

I will cry for an afternoonwhen our 15 year cat goes
I will cry for a month when our dogs and eleclectus go
Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Tebow is beautiful and looks to need a dental!

Grey's are great dogs but the OP'r is in Victoria, BC. These guy's do get cold easily.

I would start with a cat and then maybe go from there.

We brush her teeth every night (beef flavor). Vet says she's yellow but fine! And she loves the "teeth time."
Old 12-08-2019, 09:56 AM

A pomsky

http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/pomsky

https://www.google.com/search?q=poms...=1024&bih=1176

if you want cute

Last edited by verticaldoug; 12-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
We brush her teeth every night (beef flavor). Vet says she's yellow but fine! And she loves the "teeth time."
Good good.

I really miss my Grey/Boxer mix. Best dog I ever had. One of these days we'll get another.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:03 AM

I've been a pet guy all of my life -- dogs, cats, fish and reptiles. I presently have 3 Sulcata Tortoises in my backyard.

My best dog ever was a Canaan Dog. So smart and personable with a variety of voices for real communication. My sons considered him the third brother.

My cats have all been very personable and wanted to be with me. Presently, I'm down to one cat. Since I work out of my home office, she sits in the chair beside me all day and vocally complains when I don't give her enough attention. When I get up to get a cup of coffee, she follows me around the house.

I use to be an advocate of outdoor cats. Keeps them in better shape and allows them to follow their hunting instincts. But I've changed my mind and now keep them inside. First, there are plenty of coyotes and bobcats in my neighborhood (I like having them around) and they do take cats. Second, cats are natural born killers and decimate bird populations. See here:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ats-180960505/
Old 12-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I like shepperds. Any kind of shepperd. I have had dogs around all my life and feel that shepperds take it to another level: fun and loving but also have this deep sense of responsability over people and home. They are deep, intense. If you can find a mix bread shepperd in a shelter try to empathize and maybe take her him home. Good luck.
Same for me. Get a GSD and have a devoted and deeply loyal family friend for life.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Damn, that is a tough call. I would take the Crumpton though
I’d give up any grail bike for our golden retriever to be with us another ten years.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
I’d give up any grail bike for our golden retriever to be with us another ten years.
A bit of sarcasm on the OPs part. I'm sure he feels similarly about the pets he's had.

For the Forum members that have kids: is there an ideal age to introduce them to a pet? (If the circumstances were right it would be a dog) Also, what benefits do you feel having a pet gives children in terms of things like emotional growth?

I ask because this subject has come up several times with my Partner and myself.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
A bit of sarcasm on the OPs part. I'm sure he feels similarly about the pets he's had.

For the Forum members that have kids: is there an ideal age to introduce them to a pet? (If the circumstances were right it would be a dog) Also, what benefits do you feel having a pet gives children in terms of things like emotional growth?

I ask because this subject has come up several times with my Partner and myself.
I personally think any age is fine...and yes, growing up with animals is very important and enriching for kids...too many good things to list...but learning about love and kindness and empathy and getting it back in return is something very real and it's a good thing that those lessons don't simply come from only the parents...I can't imagine my childhood without my dogs back then...very important stuff...

Tags
cats, dogs