Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
That being said - that price is cheap - so if you consider that the price of admission and are willing to pay for problems when you arise then do it.
Consider why it's cheap. If you think they just put up a bargain so it'll "move", think again.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:05 PM

I had the sedan version of that 328 and loved it. Mine was an '07 and we put almost 300K km on in when we sold it. Things to like are the naturally aspirated inline six and the hydraulic steering. These make for beautiful power delivery up to redline and fantastic steering feel. Things not to like are water pumps that die somewhere around the 100K km mark. Treat the water pump like a wear item. Also, the engine leaks oil from three places: oil filter housing, valve cover gasket and oil pan. The oil filter housing gasket is easy to replace. The valve cover gasket is a 3 hour-ish DIY job. The oil pan gasket is a major PIA (~$1000 at a shop). You must keep up on regular oil changes. Not doing so causes the VANOS solenoid in the engine to gum up and stall the car at random stops.

This is a fun to drive car that will cost some money in annual repair. I'd budget $1K a year or so, more if you don't do your own work.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Skip the 2011 and go for this one...

https://www.paulmillervw.com/exotic-...b4eff33c4a.htm
Possibly agree. If you go to the dealer, do check this one out too! Both automatics, this one much newer - less time for things to break down. Decent price and mileage too. More money up front, yes. But over a few years, maybe a lot less $ out of pocket.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Long time BMW aficionado (since I bought my first, an 89 325is, been chasing the feeling that car gave me since).

I also love wagons. I drove a 528iT manual for a time. That was the perfect vehicle for an active lifestyle. Cavernous, low enough for a roof rack, drove like a sports sedan. Brilliant.

My opinion is that BMW makes fine cars that no longer have a sporting disposition at the top of their design requirements. I feel (as do others according to the World Wide Web) that this personality switch came after the e90 3 series.

Once again this is just my opinion based on my personal preferences.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Long time BMW aficionado (since I bought my first, an 89 325is, been chasing the feeling that car gave me since).

I also love wagons. I drove a 528iT manual for a time. That was the perfect vehicle for an active lifestyle. Cavernous, low enough for a roof rack, drove like a sports sedan. Brilliant.

My opinion is that BMW makes fine cars that no longer have a sporting disposition at the top of their design requirements. I feel (as do others according to the World Wide Web) that this personality switch came after the e90 3 series.

Once again this is just my opinion based on my personal preferences.
I had an 02 328i and now have an 04 X3. Both manuals.

Parts can be spendy.
Labor can be spendy

Pretty much everything has some kind of 'how to' online at either one of the BMW forums or youtube. :nod

...but... I haven't found anything like the driving experience yet so go for it!

M
Old 12-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Well, we have a 2011 328ix wagon with a six speed manual. We got it 2nd hand at 48k, it now has 130k. So this is perhaps a useful data point. It has had regular basic maintenance, but has not required anything extraordinary. It is not a cheap car to own, but we had that pretty clear when we bought it. It drives wonderfully, is always responsive, basically a machine that is a joy to use. I would buy one again, if we needed it, in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post

Hmmm... I don't know. Still plenty of sport there it seems. I had a E46 330ci ZHP which was the maxed 3 series short of an M3. Great car, loved it to pieces.

But my 2016 340i M Sport is a better sports car in everyway. Even though it doesn't have my preferred Michelin Pilot tires on it...yet. Pretty much top model again short of an M3.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:01 PM

I have a 8 year old Ford product, 8 year old Honda product, and 11 year old Ford product sitting in my garage now. Nothing hardly ever goes wrong with them, Alternator on the 11 year old last month, is about it. Just normal maintenance stuff. I have done brakes on the 11 year old.

My son has a 3 series Coupe. Last year of the non turbo six. He just loves that car. It does drive great. He got rid of the run flats. Still doesn't have a spare though. Counts on AAA if necessary. Recently lost his serpentine belt.....oil leak from filter gasket. Stranded him late at night....had to call me to get him....had to tow car to garage. Expecting valve cover leak next. Expensive to maintain car.....more than I spend on my 3 cars.

But....he wouldn't trade his for my 3 boring cars. I would love to have a 5 series....if I drove more, just can't justify the cost for a rapidly depreciating and expensive to maintain vehicle. To me that's the decision. Nothing negative about the car.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-07-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Consider why it's cheap. If you think they just put up a bargain so it'll "move", think again.
This is one thing "against" BMW's and buying new. Their value drops quickly.

My CPO 2016 with only 10,000 miles was almost 1/2 the MSRP when new. Got it this year. It did help that it was one of the worse new buys for these since it would have been only $3000 less than a M3 itself. So not a high demand new vehicle optioned like it was.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I have a 8 year old Ford product, 8 year old Honda product, and 11 year old Ford product sitting in my garage now. Nothing hardly ever goes wrong with them,

My son has put over $6000 in his Element over the past two years. That's with me doing about 1/2 of the work on it myself to save him labor costs. And we had it gone over with a fine tooth comb by the dealer before buying it used and fixed what was found. I don't know why everyone brags about Honda's as this is the biggest POS anyone in my family has owned. I mean the starter went bad and at first I was like, no problem. Two or three bolts, unplug, pull off, and replace. 30 minutes top, right? NOPE! Honda is so brilliant they bury the starter inside the intake manifold for the car. It's a special kind of engineer that thinks that's a good idea. BMW's on the other hand are a cinch to work on in my experience over the years. And when you replace something it stays fixed. I wish the Element was the same way. Multiple VNT solenoids, rear struts blown again, ignition switch, etc, etc. Sad thing is I love the concept behind the Element and wanted one for myself until our experience with them.

Just thought I'd put out that opposing view.

Last edited by jamesdak; 12-07-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:24 PM

I'm guessing you're looking for a mostly weekend car that can haul kids and house crap, while still being comfortable and fun to drive. Except for being an automatic, I think you're on the right track. If the car fits your needs/wants and checks out okay... go for it.

Wife has a 2013 X1. While we did have some issues right after purchase, nothing much since.

My 99 M Coupe has never had any problems other than wear and tear in 15 years of ownership.

Get a good roof rack. Obviously for bikes, but you can also carry lumber and other large items that won't fit inside. Done this on my MINI many times. Hell, I brought home a refrigerator on top of my VW Golf years ago. Sorry, no pics of that.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:26 PM

^ 99 M coupe.... The most beautiful ugly car in the world. One day I've got to have one.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:35 PM

99 M Coupe, pics please. One of my favs. Is it Estoril Blue?

If I needed space I would be in a Macan. Tried to get the wife to go look at one today (for her 👌) as we take her car when we drive together. No go.

Last edited by grateful; 12-07-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
My son has put over $6000 in his Element over the past two years. That's with me doing about 1/2 of the work on it myself to save him labor costs. And we had it gone over with a fine tooth comb by the dealer before buying it used and fixed what was found. I don't know why everyone brags about Honda's as this is the biggest POS anyone in my family has owned. I mean the starter went bad and at first I was like, no problem. Two or three bolts, unplug, pull off, and replace. 30 minutes top, right? NOPE! Honda is so brilliant they bury the starter inside the intake manifold for the car. It's a special kind of engineer that thinks that's a good idea. BMW's on the other hand are a cinch to work on in my experience over the years. And when you replace something it stays fixed. I wish the Element was the same way. Multiple VNT solenoids, rear struts blown again, ignition switch, etc, etc. Sad thing is I love the concept behind the Element and wanted one for myself until our experience with them.

Just thought I'd put out that opposing view.
I had a 2010 Element. Loved the concept....hated the car also. In my case....couldn't ever get comfortable. Seat belt came out of the top of the seat.....not the pillar. Terrible design.

I'm not knocking any BMW. Just saying you will spend more to maintain them. But you get driving satisfaction. Good trade off for some, not for others. One has to make that decision for himself.

Some on here are talking about the ownership of vehicles 15-20 years old. Not very pertinent to newer vehicles of any make.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-07-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Second favorite BMW to my '72 tii is my '00 M5.

I'm the second and fourth owner (sold it for a few year fling with a P car and bought back from a friend). The only thing it's really needed in 75k miles has been batteries and a fuel pump!

...and I've decided to sell it again, replacing it with something way less practical, less safe, less reliable and less powerful, and unfortunately with no room for a bike rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191006_172528.jpg (109.8 KB, 112 views)