Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I bet they'd have been in Lycra if they had the chance. I don't think they were riding slow.
Absolutely - they were going as fast as possible. The photo shows Lyli Herse and Robert Prestat in the Poly de Chanteloup hillclimb circuit race in 1949. That year, they set the fastest lap, faster than the professional peloton that included all the big names of France at the time.

As to lycra (or at least tight-fitting shorts), you are right about that, too. The rules of the 'randonneur' category didn't allow for tight-fitting shorts, so these riders wore the baggier shorts over their racing shorts, just like we do with the knickers.

These guys weren't 'retro' or 'anti-performance,' and neither are we at Compass. The goal is to build the bike and equipment that allows us to cover long distances across all types of terrain in all types of weather as quickly as possible. That doesn't mean that we are always 'racing,' but it's nice to know that our equipment doesn't hold us back. And even when we are going slowly, we find that a high-performance bike is more fun to ride.

Jan Heine
Founder
Compass Cycles
www.compasscycle.com
Old 03-21-2018, 06:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

why not just go lycra? since its already under the knickers anyways...

When I tour I do wear shorts over bibs so I don't look ridiculous going into places but if I am just ridding to ride, why have an extra layer when lycra only is actually the most comfortable.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
why not just go lycra? since its already under the knickers anyways...

When I tour I do wear shorts over bibs so I don't look ridiculous going into places but if I am just ridding to ride, why have an extra layer when lycra only is actually the most comfortable.
I prefer just lycra bibs when the weather is warm enough. But in cooler weather I find knickers-over-bibs more comfortable than bibs over knee warmers, which I sometimes find restrictive or too hot in the thighs, though I use them too sometimes as they are a little warmer. The knickers with knee socks also give you more options to control temperature and make adjustments on the fly. When it's really cold I will wear knickers over bib tights or over bib shorts and full leg warmers. Again-more comfortable than the full-on windfront bib tights and give you more options. In the rain, the knickers provide an extra layer of protection and dry quickly. For touring the knickers are unbeatable for versatility. The Compass knicks have the look of worsted wool and have a very tailored fit. I guess I am a fan.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I prefer just lycra bibs when the weather is warm enough. But in cooler weather I find knickers-over-bibs more comfortable than bibs over knee warmers, which I sometimes find restrictive or too hot in the thighs, though I use them too sometimes as they are a little warmer. The knickers with knee socks also give you more options to control temperature and make adjustments on the fly. When it's really cold I will wear knickers over bib tights or over bib shorts and full leg warmers. Again-more comfortable than the full-on windfront bib tights and give you more options. In the rain, the knickers provide an extra layer of protection and dry quickly. For touring the knickers are unbeatable for versatility. The Compass knicks have the look of worsted wool and have a very tailored fit. I guess I am a fan.
My issue with this is if you're taking the clothes on and off the knickers are less convenient than the leg warmers... one requires you to take your shoes off to take on/off and the other doesn't AFAICT. And one fits in your jersey pockets more easily than the other.

It's a tradeoff.. if you're touring and already have a bag and you really want that ability to throw something on and look half presentable (although really, most people are still going to go, "why is a man wearing capri pants?") the knickers are better but if you're just out riding and don't have any bags attached to your bike the knickers are harder to work with IMO. That's not particularly different than Lycra tights. But Full tights usually I'm putting on and they're staying on for the entire ride, particularly the heavy ones, which I really only wear when the temp gets to the low 40s or below.

We get some tough weird transitional weather conditions where this really matters although it's too cold for these knickers anyway in those conditions. Kind of thinking about that a lot as I'm going to do our local short randonneur "opener" in a couple weeks. Last time I did 2 years ago it was like 30F at the start and 55F at the finish. I took my CF "fast" bike and I think this time I might take my slower bike with my big Revelate saddlebag so I can take a set of winter clothes and then have a place to stash it if the weather goes crazy. There is not much more miserable than dressing for 30 degrees and then finding yourself riding in those clothes and it's 50+ degrees.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
We get some tough weird transitional weather conditions where this really matters although it's too cold for these knickers anyway in those conditions. Kind of thinking about that a lot as I'm going to do our local short randonneur "opener" in a couple weeks. Last time I did 2 years ago it was like 30F at the start and 55F at the finish. I took my CF "fast" bike and I think this time I might take my slower bike with my big Revelate saddlebag so I can take a set of winter clothes and then have a place to stash it if the weather goes crazy. There is not much more miserable than dressing for 30 degrees and then finding yourself riding in those clothes and it's 50+ degrees.
Exactly why randonneur bikes need luggage carrying capacity.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
It's not like they're wearing berets and loafers. These guys look quite practically dressed to me.

KJ
Get rid of the helmets tho..spoils the whole 'look'...
Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Thanks

Nice to actually see an interview after I have read so much from him.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM

Big fan of the

knickers. Worth every penny if you need more modest dress for off the bike visits to shops, or want something a bit more comfortable than lycra shorts/pads. I do wish there were a pair of shorts made of the same material and cut.