Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 06-01-2020, 10:18 PM

Rock Lobster Monster Lobster

Here's my Lobster after a few months use.

------
So I wanted a travel bikepacking bike that was ready for riding into the apocalypse, before I realized the apocalypse would come so soon. The couplers may not be so useful for a little while but Paul knocked it out the park with this bike. Took me a while to build it up, and have been enjoying it for several months now.

At some point I will finish up the dynamo wiring, plus fully outfit for bikepacking (and then trim the long cables in front). Think I just want to get a custom full frame bag (+ the bar roll and saddle bag I already have) and will be all set.

Frame details :
Asked for 650b 2.4" clearance and Paul made that happen. Dynamo wiring guides (external and not set up just yet), 73 mm bottom bracket, 142 rear spacing, so many braze-ons, a very lovely unicrown and nicely compliant fork, pump peg, front derailleur none of that 1x silliness. Left the tubing selection to Paul. The fabrication quality is really excellent. This sort of form follows function elegance is exactly my cup of tea. I LOVE the proportions and look of the unicrown fork.

I have to also say that Paul was excellent to work with. He does not faff about and he stuck to his original schedule estimate and did not charge me a dime extra for a lot of extras that I asked for. He's the real deal and wish all frame builders were as straight forward to deal with as Paul. BUY A BIKE FROM PAUL.

Build : (went for a bit of a party mix / harlequin / ano throw up color scheme with all randomly selected ano colors)
Lightbicycle AM724 rims to a RED Son hub front / Hope RS4 rear, Terravail Ehline tires 2.5 in front 2.3 in rear, Hope X2 brakes/levers, XTR 11 speed shifters, XTR M9000 race 38/28 crankset (was a super great deal and has lower Q than typical mtb cranks!), XT 8000 rear mech, XTR 9000 front mech, 3 x King cages, Topeak frame pump, Nitto post, red/black vintage Flite, syntace stem, DIY Token party headset, titanium Groovy Luv bars.

Ride Report :
Man this thing is so fun! I have been underbiking for so long on old roads/trails around here and I can finally just ride reckless and without abandon. Bombs the downhills, climbs like a goat, and rolls over everything in my path. The frame feels spry and kept just enough of that lively feel that I told Paul I like, while feeling very secure and planted and in control. The big knobby tires sound a little slow but roll surprisingly decent for those connection pavement miles. It is definitely weighed more heavily towards the off-roadie spectrum right now but a short Compass Switchback Hill experiment felt really good. I did a 55 mile loop today and was surprised to see I did the big paved climb faster on this bike than on my rando bike a few weeks ago.

I love the build for the rough stuff. The Groovy bars just feel really right for me any time I'm off pavement and the geometry puts me exactly where I want to be. The brakes work extremely well. The gearing has been perfect. Back on pavement I do want for drop bars sometimes. I spin out in the 38x11 top gear pretty regularly on downhills (but I am probably moving fast enough at that point).
I really wanted a (Shimano and modern and mechanical/hydraulic) setup that could hot-swap between the mtb bars and drop bars. That proved way more complicated or impossible than I realized. Some times I regret not doing it a little differently with more of drop bar road bike centric build, but when I'm using the bike for what I really envisioned it for, and not the transport miles inbetween, I quickly forget about all that.

Last edited by adampaiva; 06-01-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:21 PM

and here are some images of a Rock Lobster in its natural habitat (on a little fly fishing jaunt)

Old 06-01-2020, 11:04 PM

this is the coolest bike i've seen here in months, at least.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:17 AM

Nice, I like it
Old 06-02-2020, 12:22 AM

Yes
Old 06-02-2020, 12:34 AM

I just love this, man. I love it so much.

Well done and congrats! I dig rolling through your Flickr, such great stuff.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 AM
dopers suck

Nice hybrid
Old 06-02-2020, 03:59 AM

LOVE IT,

great build.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:35 AM

Rock Lobster Monster Lobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
Here's my Lobster after a few months use.

So nice!!
I like the notBoost spacing, not suspension corrected, the dynamo accommodations and more.
What is the fork axle to crown?

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 06-02-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:31 AM

It’s a good looking bike for sure

I’m curious why you went with 27 rather than 29” wheels, given the application?
Old 06-02-2020, 07:41 AM

Beautiful bike. From a guy who actually uses his stuff. Slovenia report was amazing!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 AM

That’s a cool bike and beautiful photos. I’m jealous of where you get to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram
Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Thanks all (except maybe Soniccow).

27.5 vs 29 : This was intentional for a couple reasons. 1.) My rando bike is 650b and this would allow me to use same tires on both, when I either want to max out tire width on the rando with 48's, or use not quite as massive tires on the Lobster (as in the pic with Switchback Hills mounted). My mountain bike which I never actually ride also is on 650b 2.) Its a travel bike and when its safe/acceptable to do so again will get packed in an s&s case and the 27.5 is going to fit a little easier in the case, 700c is always a tight fit so big chunky tires would make it pretty difficult. 3.) I just like 650b from my experience on my Lyon and have been drinking that koolaid for a few years now.
That said, I am curious how 700c's would fit. I don't have any other compatible wheelsets to try, and doubt I will spend the coin to experiment but hopefully I'll get an opportunity to experiment with a borrowed wheelset at some point. I'd love to try out one of the Rene Herse 700x55 offerings on this bike.

A2C (and the rest of the geo Paul went with):

Head angle 71
Seat angle 73
Fork rake 51 mm
Top tube level 560
Seat tube c-t-c 540, 565 to the top
Chain stay 430
BB drop 53
Head tube 151
Fork axle to crown 415
Front-center 624
Old 06-02-2020, 09:18 AM

That's a "standard" head tube for 1 1/8" straight steer tube only?

Too bad we're not local to one another. I have a set of SRAM 900 to Flow Mk3 handbuilts with almost no miles just sitting here unused I'd be happy to loan you. Currently setup tubeless with 2.35" Big Ones (though those tires probably wouldn't fit).

Would love to see a pic of those bars from the saddle or overhead view. This is making me want to build up something similar.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:50 AM

I like that. A nice take anywhere go anywhere bike.

I really like all the colors. Later on if you update or go a different direction it will match. Everything matches.