Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 02:05 PM

Options for getting 34T on SR RS 11 RD?

On one bike, I'm running a 50/34 crank and an 11-29 cassette (all Campy) on an SR RS 11 group (~2014 vintage) with a short cage RD and would like - in my ongoing state of entropy and decrepitude - to get something to run a 34T on the back end.

Can anyone recommend a replacement medium cage RD that can get 34T (or possibly 32T in a pinch)? Any other options? Wolftooth link? Suggestions appreciated!

Last edited by OtayBW; 08-26-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 02:15 PM

How much do you need the top end?

Could be your best option is a crankset swap to subcompact.
Old 08-26-2024, 02:20 PM

You can swap the short cage on your derailleur for a medium cage. Here'd the Super Record 11spd medium cage (part number RD-SR002M):

https://sprockets.uk.com/campagnolo-...etCurrencyId=4
Old 08-26-2024, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radius PNW View Post
How much do you need the top end?

Could be your best option is a crankset swap to subcompact.
I'd like to keep the 11 if possible, but that's not a deal breaker. Would prefer not to have to change cranks at this stage of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
You can swap the short cage on your derailleur for a medium cage. Here'd the Super Record 11spd medium cage (part number RD-SR002M):

https://sprockets.uk.com/campagnolo-...etCurrencyId=4
I didn't know that your could swap out just the cage, but that could work (up to 32T, I guess) and might be the best interim solution. No incompatibility issues with mine being a pre-2015 RD?

I'd like to see if there are any other options. Thanks all!

Last edited by OtayBW; 08-26-2024 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 03:12 PM

I've used a Wolftooth roadlink on a similar era short cage Record rear derailleur and was able to shift an 11-32 cassette without issue. Crosschaining was definitely a no-go in the top two cogs.
Old 08-26-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
I've used a Wolftooth roadlink on a similar era short cage Record rear derailleur and was able to shift an 11-32 cassette without issue. Crosschaining was definitely a no-go in the top two cogs.
Good to know as an option. I don't ride cross chain as a rule, but I DO use it on occassion for short, quick periods to get over hills, etc. when needed. I'd hate to give up the ability to do that on both top two cogs. But something to think about. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I didn't know that your could swap out just the cage, but that could work (up to 32T, I guess) and might be the best interim solution. No incompatibility issues with mine being a pre-2015 RD?
That's a good question. When 2nd generation 11psd was introduced in 2015, the derailleurs used the same cages as 1st generation 11spd (2009 - 2014). But the part numbers for the cages changed in 2018, which is the same year as the 11spd medium cage and the HO (Hydraulic Optimized) derailleurs appeared. The HO derailleurs were compatible with 2015-2017 shifters/dererailleurs, but had modified cages and pulleys. So while I haven't tried it myself, I believe that the 2018 cage will fit a pre-2015 derailleur.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That's a good question. When 2nd generation 11psd was introduced in 2015, the derailleurs used the same cages as 1st generation 11spd (2009 - 2014). But the part numbers for the cages changed in 2018, which is the same year as the 11spd medium cage and the HO (Hydraulic Optimized) derailleurs appeared. The HO derailleurs were compatible with 2015-2017 shifters/dererailleurs, but had modified cages and pulleys. So while I haven't tried it myself, I believe that the 2018 cage will fit a pre-2015 derailleur.
Thanks for the info. Imma have to see what I can find out, but sounds like a good option.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:31 PM

Would a second gen Chorus RD work with first gen shifters? If yes, then the medium cage Chorus can take up to 32T.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Good to know as an option. I don't ride cross chain as a rule, but I DO use it on occassion for short, quick periods to get over hills, etc. when needed. I'd hate to give up the ability to do that on both top two cogs. But something to think about. Thanks!
Remember that the wolftooth link does NOT add any additional capacity....ie;, make your chain longer. It just moves the top pull off the biggest cogs. Without enough chain for a safe big-big combo and destruction will result. Rear der, chain, frame...etc...
Old 08-27-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You can set the chain length so you lose the bottom cog (or two) and preserve the top cog. I occasionally hit the big ring cresting while in the 32 so mine's set that way as to not tear off the derailleur. Never use the 34 -11 so no loss.
It might take you a while to tune the shifting.
The ZTTO links are 5 bucks and work as well as the Roadlink. But look at the photos and avoid the other brands that are longer and designed for mtb use.
Old 08-27-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Remember that the wolftooth link does NOT add any additional capacity....ie;, make your chain longer. It just moves the top pull off the biggest cogs. Without enough chain for a safe big-big combo and destruction will result. Rear der, chain, frame...etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
You can set the chain length so you lose the bottom cog (or two) and preserve the top cog. I occasionally hit the big ring cresting while in the 32 so mine's set that way as to not tear off the derailleur. Never use the 34 -11 so no loss.
It might take you a while to tune the shifting.
The ZTTO links are 5 bucks and work as well as the Roadlink. But look at the photos and avoid the other brands that are longer and designed for mtb use.
Yeah - Thanks guys. Whatever I wind up with, I'll probably get a new chain and size it accordingly to the new setup. I do frequently use big-big to push over a short hill, but I don't know if I'd need to do that on the 32T. Looks like some config with max 32T is in my future - either with a new RD or a rebuilt cage on the existing. I'd like to have a few more gear inches, but 32T seems to be the path of least resistance.

Thanks once again!
Old 08-28-2024, 11:55 AM

I switched out a SR short cage derailleur cage for the medium version. It handles a 11-32 cassette with a 50-34 crankset without any difficulty. The longer cage was stupidly expensive.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:21 AM

Now that I learned that Campy 12 speed RD has 34T capacity, is there any - at least 'unofficial' - compatibility between the 12 speed drivetrain and pre-2015 11 speed? E.g., can I slap a 12-speed RD on there with a 12-spd cassette (~11-34) and will the crank, cable pull, and chain also be compatible (either 111-spd or 12-spd chain)? Or am I just fishing here.....? Thx.

Last edited by OtayBW; 08-30-2024 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Now that I learned that Campy 12 speed RD has 34T capacity, is there any - at least 'unofficial' - compatibility between the 12 speed drivetrain and pre-2015 11 speed? E.g., can I slap a 12-speed RD on there with a 12-spd cassette (~11-34) and will the crank, cable pull, and chain also be compatible (either 111-spd or 12-spd chain)? Or am I just fishing here.....? Thx.
If you mean will an 11spd shifter shift a 12spd derailleur over a 12spd cassette, then no, it definitely will not work. Some say that the cable pull ratio between 11spd and 12spd is similar enough that the 11spd shifter may shift a 12spd derailleur over an 11spd cassette.

11spd and 12spd cranks are generally inter-compatible.