Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 04-29-2019, 02:10 PM

I got a bike fit... now what?

Another title would be: Is my bikefit weird?

Backstory: I recently went to my LBS for a bike fitting, since I was curious about finding the right bike for me. I'm 6'4", my inseam measures 92cm (36") and my current bike is a 58cm '09 BMC Cross Machine canti CX bike I built up myself. I want something else, with better brakes (preferably disks) however, I find the All-City Mr pink strangely appealing. I got handed the following graph, and noticed my relatively high handlebar position...

All well and good, I started sketching in Bikecad, first the Mr pink (size 61)

I noticed that I require a tower of spacers, paired with a positive rise stem. Optically (IMHO) not very appealing.
I kept on sketching, in order to reach the desired values as close as possible and came out with my own "designed" disc brake gravel bike:

Paired with a 120mm 0° stem, this looks visually more appealing to me.

All in all, are there high stack frames around that allow for my handlebar position without the need for a positive rise stem, or is custom the way to go? How would handlebar position change over time?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:35 PM

6'4" here.

I can't quote you actual models or companies, but I have seen stack values in that range. Keep your eyes out and you should find some.

Also, I -- personally -- don't mind a stem that approximates the slope of a sloping top tube, so that can help. It's rare and even a little odd when a modern frame with a sloping top tube has a horizontal stem.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Princess Sweat

Re: All in all, are there high stack frames around that allow for my handlebar position without the need for a positive rise stem, or is custom the way to go?'

Most bike companies post geometry charts. I'd start by perusing what they offer. I'd also take a look at the geometry they have and see how much different your design is from what's out there.

Re Custom: You need to decide if you want to ride a camel or a horse. Then talk to a frame builder that builds camels and a frame builder that builds horses. If you hand that drawing to a frame builder and say "Build this" and they agree, you need to find another frame builder. Has nothing to do with your drawing, it has everything to do with that type of frame builder.

Re: How would handlebar position change over time?

How are we to know that? Are you trying to get fitter? Are you trying to be a better rider? Are you working on your flexibility and muscle recruitment? Are you on your death bed or a young whipper snapper?

Last edited by false_Aest; 04-29-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:48 PM

If that's your actual inseam, then an 842mm saddle height is likely much too high. Lower your saddle and you'll probably be able to lower you bars a good bit.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:26 PM
Princess Sweat

the dude disappeared.