Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 01-26-2020, 09:45 PM

Scarab Cycles Páramo

I was thrilled to find out about Nate and Santiago's new venture at Scarab, and as soon as they had their SF studio up and running, I brought down an old frame of theirs that had been in a car accident to see if they could salvage it into something new. We decided the frame was toast, but their new frames were just too tempting to pass up.

I gave them a fairly contradictory request - I wanted a versatile commuter with a soul of a gravel racer. Capable of smooth, safe, dry rides into and out of SF every day, but that would also turn on a dime and go really fast when I wanted to, and could be built up for city riding or racing. Oh, and can it take a 45mm/700c or 2.1"/650b, handle fenders, and have 422mm chainstays?

At that point they probably should have pointed me in the direction of the nearest Trek dealership, but instead they accepted the challenge.

The Scarab Páramo gravel bike was the answer. Oversized Columbus Spirit tubing, Columbus Futura Cross fork, and some fancy carbon bits. The Scarab paint program is semi-custom, which is good for a perpetually indecisive person like me - I sent them a color inspiration, the foggy headlands of my youth on the Mendocino Coast, and they did the rest. I left the component choice to Nate, with the exception of some cockpit choices and the Honjo fenders.

Speaking of the Honjos, they caused some serious drama with the fork, because the nation of Italy has apparently forgotten where the top fender attachment point should be on a fork, but after some clever wrenching and a last minute order from Velo Orange, it all worked out in the end.

Extremely happy with how this came out, despite the Trek-Segafredo wattage that the AXS bits are clearly going to cost me. Just did a shakedown ride on the Col Du Pantoll loop and found myself comfortably reaching descending speeds I normally shy away from. Looking forward to trying out some bigger rubber once summer arrives and I can safely yank the Honjos off...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1412.jpg (150.2 KB, 776 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1411.jpg (108.4 KB, 772 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1410.jpg (63.3 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (52.1 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1408.jpg (78.7 KB, 770 views)
Old 01-26-2020, 10:27 PM

Saw this posted to the Insta and was wondering if it was staying local. Looks fantastically versatile.

There a second set of wheels in the works?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:33 PM

At some point, for sure. After riding a lot on Switchback Hills, the Bon Jon’s feel so much faster and precise, so not in any hurry to go back just yet.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:33 PM

That’s the best rain / commuter bike ever. I am glad you went AXS. The **** is amazing. Is it weird to shift into the lower front ring?
Old 01-26-2020, 11:34 PM

Looks killer. Love the painted to match Silca too.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:39 PM

I’m guessing it’s a smidge slower to shift from small to big chainrings with the 16 tooth gap (vs 13 on the AXS 46/33), but I barely noticed. Big to small is fast and flawless. Definitely worth it to get the option of lower ratios.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:26 AM

Looks killer. Congrats!

Question on that front Honjo fender: could you have rotated it backwards a bit to improve coverage at the bottom? Or were the stays not long enough?
Old 01-27-2020, 07:24 AM

A beaut!
Please post some close-ups of how they did the stays to accommodate the fatties and the chainrings
Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 AM

Nice looking frame and build!

I’m curious about the choice of crankset? I frequently see folks running Rotor, Easton and maybe other cranks with an otherwise AXS groupo. Is this a decision based on gear options or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpang922 View Post
Looks killer. Congrats!

Question on that front Honjo fender: could you have rotated it backwards a bit to improve coverage at the bottom? Or were the stays not long enough?
I have to confess that I am not sure. Installing Honjos is a black art that is not for the squeamish, and I have always fobbed it off on trusted wrenches.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Nice looking frame and build!

I’m curious about the choice of crankset? I frequently see folks running Rotor, Easton and maybe other cranks with an otherwise AXS groupo. Is this a decision based on gear options or something else?

Purely based on gearing options, though I left the choice of exact brand to Nate and co. The rotor crank allows several configurations not available with the stock crank, including 46/30 which I really wanted for this build.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:42 AM

^thanks!

Old 01-27-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
A beaut!
Please post some close-ups of how they did the stays to accommodate the fatties and the chainrings
Does this suffice? No real magic here, no dropped stay or anything. My guess is that the larger T47 bottom bracket shell and the bent chainstays give enough room for maneuver. Wouldn't want to try to fit a standard-size crank on it, though.

Heisenberg could probably add more science here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200124-_DSC6282-Edit.jpg (86.0 KB, 657 views)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Does this suffice? No real magic here, no dropped stay or anything. My guess is that the larger T47 bottom bracket shell and the bent chainstays give enough room for maneuver. Wouldn't want to try to fit a standard-size crank on it, though.

Heisenberg could probably add more science here.
small chainrings+low bb=magic.

we're considering dropping the stay for gen2 paramo with some trick parts, but for what the bike does right now it's solid. would like to avoid unnecessary weight gain, cost, and stress points.

there's not much voodoo science to be had as it stands now. technically the bike will clear a 38mm under the hanjos, but with no room at all for debris clearance.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM

that's an absolutely amazing machine