Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Respectfully, you understand incorrectly. I, along with many others, have horror stories regarding this company. A simple search on this forum will yield you plenty of data points to disregard this company.

Did you get your frames repaired by someone else after RUKUS?
Old 07-21-2020, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I have had a couple people use the Frame Doctor in Orlando and they have been very happy.
https://www.facebook.com/FrameDoctor911/
http://framedoctor911.com/fdmain.htm
Old 07-21-2020, 05:00 PM

Anybody hear of reports of people repairing a frame and subsequently failing?
Old 07-21-2020, 06:26 PM

Ruckus talks a good game, and has some great tech at their disposal. I had to fix a Colnago that they repaired. In fairness was a bad break right at the seatstay/dropout junction caused by a derailleur failure. But there was so much excess epoxy, the smallest cog became unusable.

They have ultrasound, they understand layups, and if they're focused they do good work. They may have progressed beyond these issues. In fairness, they only had the bare frame and couldn't have known about the problem. But when contacted they shrugged. Hope they've progressed beyond their growing pains. Can't say for sure.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Ruckus talks a good game, and has some great tech at their disposal. I had to fix a Colnago that they repaired. In fairness was a bad break right at the seatstay/dropout junction caused by a derailleur failure. But there was so much excess epoxy, the smallest cog became unusable.

They have ultrasound, they understand layups, and if they're focused they do good work. They may have progressed beyond these issues. In fairness, they only had the bare frame and couldn't have known about the problem. But when contacted they shrugged. Hope they've progressed beyond their growing pains. Can't say for sure.
I ask because there are lots of reports of people fixing their carbon bikes and for the most part, the bikes seem good as new. The exception is if the repair was screwed up to start.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:01 PM

Great repair on my 2000 C40 by Toby Stanton at Hot Tubes near Boston. Gets high reviews locally.....
Chris
Old 07-21-2020, 08:03 PM

I just sent my Colnago up to Spyder Composites. Haven't gotten it back yet, but they seem to understand the issues and they x-ray the frame to get a better view. In particular, this last piece was interesting to me. I don't repair carbon myself but I feel like an x-ray would be a helpful diagnostic.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Cyclocarbon in SE Minnesota does fantastic work and Drew (owner/operator) is a super nice guy.
He also does some really great paint work.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:07 AM

I am taking my bike to a local place - Coastal Carbon in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The Cervelo a person I ride with had cracked - they did not know because it was on the bottom of the top tube - and the bike shop sent it to this place and it came back looking like new. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

That’s good to know that Myrtle Beach has a shop that can do repairs!! I’m down there a couple times a month. Would be very easy for me to drop my repair off for them to repair. Please keep us posted on any results.
SPOKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I am taking my bike to a local place - Coastal Carbon in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The Cervelo a person I ride with had cracked - they did not know because it was on the bottom of the top tube - and the bike shop sent it to this place and it came back looking like new. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKE View Post
That’s good to know that Myrtle Beach has a shop that can do repairs!! I’m down there a couple times a month. Would be very easy for me to drop my repair off for them to repair. Please keep us posted on any results.
SPOKE
Will do. Very responsive to my e-mails and answered questions and gave lots of options of what to do in terms of paint and cost. Time frame was not bad either.

This is a brand new bike that I have had together only for a week. My fault 100% and he was very sympathetic and understanding of how I would like it to be.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKE View Post
SPOKE

So, I got my bike back last week and honestly, there is zero evidence that it was ever damaged. The repair is perfect. They did an absolute fantastic job that just blows me away.

The time from drop off to pick up was 16 days (with a hurricane in the middle). They had said about 2 weeks and they were close (15 days when done but could not get there till the next day). I broke the bike down myself and rebuilt I myself as otherwise, bike shops were quoting times of 4-8 weeks!

The shop is Coastal Carbon and if you need carbon repaired, I highly recommend them. Highly communicative and honest.

Had it back for a week and have gotten three good rides with about ~120 miles and very happy. Will post pictures a bit later.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_davis View Post
Great repair on my 2000 C40 by Toby Stanton at Hot Tubes near Boston. Gets high reviews locally.....
Chris
Toby is a great guy. Did you drop off at his shop?

When he was building my 'cross bike, I really enjoyed the pickup/drop-off/pickup process.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-14-2020, 12:02 PM
Administrator

That's great news. Glad everything worked out for you.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:40 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

I have the frame with me now. Going to try to drop it off this weekend or Monday....
Thanks for your update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
So, I got my bike back last week and honestly, there is zero evidence that it was ever damaged. The repair is perfect. They did an absolute fantastic job that just blows me away.

The time from drop off to pick up was 16 days (with a hurricane in the middle). They had said about 2 weeks and they were close (15 days when done but could not get there till the next day). I broke the bike down myself and rebuilt I myself as otherwise, bike shops were quoting times of 4-8 weeks!

The shop is Coastal Carbon and if you need carbon repaired, I highly recommend them. Highly communicative and honest.

Had it back for a week and have gotten three good rides with about ~120 miles and very happy. Will post pictures a bit later.