Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 09:52 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
With that said, it's been humming along just fine, but there are some unusual noises popping up. It does seem like there are various quality issues with Wahoo KICKR and KICKR Cores, but I don't know how widespread it is.
I think that version kickr had some problems with the key that keeps the flywheel from spinning relative to the power pulley. Also, could be a loose belt. You didn't describe the noise so I'm just guessing.

Also, kickr users should service the freewheel fairly often, at least once a year. It takes a few minutes, the hardest part is taking the bike off the trainer.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooneej View Post
Basically what I got out of all the digging around is they're all good. I'm just hesitant because I dont want it to be like treadmill I bought. Used a few times then became a coat rack.
This. I got a Neo when it first came out because it was better than the alternatives. But the current versions of all the major trainers are great.

They’ve been hard to get due to covid. Also consider that new trainers are typically released in the fall, so you might get better discounts then.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:19 PM

The new wahoo kickr just came out. I think the core may be due for an update since it also came out in 2018 right? Might have been 19 in which case I don't think there will be an update.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
The new wahoo kickr just came out. I think the core may be due for an update since it also came out in 2018 right? Might have been 19 in which case I don't think there will be an update.
Someone asked about a new Core on the DC Rainmaker review of the new Kickr. Ray (DC Rainmaker) said definitely not for this season.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Makes sense.

I think I'm between the kickr, saris, and kickr core.

Only thing now is to try to figure out if I should just go for it or maybe wait for the rei sale in the fall.

I have generally had good experiences with saris and wahoo products.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:42 PM

Go for it! Now!
You will not regret it.
I got a Kickr at the start of December, maybe used it 2-3 times over the winter because we had a very mild winter, but once Covid hit it was an absolute life saver, I did a few 200 mile weeks on the trainer alone.
I think they are all good, even the cheaper ones from Elite and Tacx.
Like other have already mentioned Wahoo just announced a new Kickr the other day, so maybe (unlikely) you will find the current version discounted somewhere.
Also this popped up, looks like a good deal, I'd get that if I was in the market now,
https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...ette-53357.htm
Old 08-15-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Go for it! Now!
You will not regret it.
I got a Kickr at the start of December, maybe used it 2-3 times over the winter because we had a very mild winter, but once Covid hit it was an absolute life saver, I did a few 200 mile weeks on the trainer alone.
I think they are all good, even the cheaper ones from Elite and Tacx.
Like other have already mentioned Wahoo just announced a new Kickr the other day, so maybe (unlikely) you will find the current version discounted somewhere.
Also this popped up, looks like a good deal, I'd get that if I was in the market now,
https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...ette-53357.htm
I think that is the original saris version of that trainer, ie it's almost 4-6 years old now. They're now on the H3 which i think is still being phased out.

I think I'm pretty aboard the wahoo train. I've heard nothing but good things about them with respect to both performance and support. I know they had issues but they owned up to it and have taken care of customers even though it's really frustrating. I like things from saris, elite, etc, but I guess it's a support thing?

LBS has the kickr '18 (ie v4) in stock. I don't think they're clearing them out though... I could ask but it's not like they'd have much trouble selling them, no? They should hopefully have the v5 in stock soon ish.

I guess now it's just down to the kickr vs the core. I don't think I need all the bells and whistles of the kickr (I ride 105 after all) but it would def be nice. That said, I'm not opposed to the idea of being practical-ish right now and splurging when I'm not a student-ish. I don't see why I wouldn't get like 3-5 years out of just the kickr!

Has anyone ridden both? Honestly if the core didn't look as bizarre as it does I might have had an easier time deciding! The lack of spindown and better accuracy of the kickr are definitely selling points, as is the included cassette.

If anyone in the central NJ /Philly area is looking to upgrade... I may be interested haha.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 08-16-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Has anyone ridden both? Honestly if the core didn't look as bizarre as it does I might have had an easier time deciding! The lack of spindown and better accuracy of the kickr are definitely selling points, as is the included cassette.
a couple friends have a kickr core. both of them like them, and one of them rides the 5h!t out of his -- like ~15K miles per year with something like least half of those miles on zwift. insane. which speaks volumes to how well the thing works!
Old 08-16-2020, 09:58 AM

If it's between the Core and the Kickr, I would say get the Core, the major features of the Kickr are the folding legs and the handle.
I live in Brooklyn, so for me those features were worth the extra $$.
But the rides between the 2 are supposed to be very similar.

Also yeah I think you are right, I doubt the shops will be clearing out the Kickrs anytime soon.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
If it's between the Core and the Kickr, I would say get the Core, the major features of the Kickr are the folding legs and the handle.
I live in Brooklyn, so for me those features were worth the extra $$.
But the rides between the 2 are supposed to be very similar.

Also yeah I think you are right, I doubt the shops will be clearing out the Kickrs anytime soon.
With the new one difference also includes better accuracy and it loses the spindown requirement.

The other thing I realized is that I could pay for over 2 years of sufferfest subscription for that much. Imho, that will lead to better training outcomes than anything else.

I have a peloton subscription now though so first I'm going to try to figure out how I can replicate their resistance scale to a % of ftp.

Does anyone know if shops can order the refurb units? Or is that a wahoo direct thing only?

Last edited by ridethecliche; 08-16-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:57 PM
LateStart

Anyone looking at the new Wahoo Kickr?

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...SAAEgLlAPD_BwE

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/08/...th-review.html

$1200 seems reasonable?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post
$1200 seems reasonable?
reasonable is debateable, but that's the going rate for a top-end smart trainer these days. {shrug}

pre-covid you could find $100-200 discounts with patience.

Last edited by wallymann; 08-18-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:44 PM

Kickr Core Owner

I purchased a Kickr Core towards the end of 2019 to help train during the winter for a century ride in Feb. it has been great to put in 2-3 hours of targeted training in on weeknights, thus allowing for unstructured and fun rides on the weekend. I have not regretted the purchase one bit. It is also useful to ride with friends on Zwift and talk via Discord or your voice comm of choice. I used the REI coupon to get a pretty good discount. Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:13 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpken View Post
I purchased a Kickr Core towards the end of 2019 to help train during the winter for a century ride in Feb. it has been great to put in 2-3 hours of targeted training in on weeknights, thus allowing for unstructured and fun rides on the weekend. I have not regretted the purchase one bit. It is also useful to ride with friends on Zwift and talk via Discord or your voice comm of choice. I used the REI coupon to get a pretty good discount. Hope this helps.
Also have a Kickr Core after upgrading from a Kickr Snap. Love it. Great ride feel and it stays in the basement so didn't feel the need for the one with a handle etc. Though the newest with slight rocker sounds good. Use Trainerroad and Zwift on my tablet. It's great for structured training or days when I only have a limited time and want to work out and watch Brooklyn 99.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
reasonable is debateable, but that's the going rate for a top-end smart trainer these days. {shrug}

pre-covid you could find $100-200 discounts with patience.
You can still get discounts from clever training and some other sites too I think, right?

Atleast that's what DC Rainmakers posts had said in the past.

I think you can get the 20% off with REI's coupons whenever they come out like 2-4x a year. Atleast I've seen folks write that they've been able to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I think that version kickr had some problems with the key that keeps the flywheel from spinning relative to the power pulley. Also, could be a loose belt. You didn't describe the noise so I'm just guessing.

Also, kickr users should service the freewheel fairly often, at least once a year. It takes a few minutes, the hardest part is taking the bike off the trainer.

Which version would that be? Any links for the service? There's a chance I may be getting one of the older units from like 2016 or so. Just want to give it a once over after ensuring it works so I can keep it healthy. I hope those aren't the ones that like to fry the circuitboards. Luckily I don't have carpet where I have the trainer set up!