Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2021, 08:18 AM

Help me buy my lady a bike

Hi, all. About 2 years ago I bought my girlfriend a townie/commuter bike so we could ride around together to the bars and such. Well, she has now expressed interest in getting a "go-fast" drop-bar bike so she can accompany me on my longer, more adventurous rides. Great!

Are "women's cycles" with their own geometry still a thing?

Since she's a very casual rider, I was looking to keep this in the low $1K range.

Cursory Googling quickly turned up Liv cycling. Looks perfect. Aluminum, Shimano drivetrain, 32c tires, endurance geometry. Wonder if I can find one.

What do you all think?
Old 08-09-2021, 08:25 AM

All I know about Liv is that an LBS sells a bunch of them. So I guess they're OK. And AVAILABLE. I think they're a cosponsor of a pro/UCI team.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

Just look on your local craigslist, there are no shortage of women bikes that came out of "failed experiments" - this whole "ride with the BF thing" that didn't work out.

Just a casual search:

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...357643023.html
Old 08-09-2021, 12:10 PM

I'm going to assume you are looking for a "go faster" bike and not a "go fast" bicycle. improper fit is the primary reason these "ride with my guy" experiments fail. The problem is that the kinda knowledgable guy sets up his gal like he would another guy. My tip for the day is to make sure the top of her drop handlebars are at least as high as her saddle. In other words no drop to the drops. If some women lean over too much it bothers the sensitive areas of their crotch.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:56 PM

Get a bike for her, not what you would like.

Doug has built hundreds/thousands of bikes, I would listen. He teaches bike frame construction.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:01 PM
n - 1

Make sure she is ok with a dropbar road bike. My wife could never get used to dropbars and much prefers straight. And bit wider tires (currently 38c).

Lots of good “fitness” bikes, ie Trek FX, if your friend likes straight bars and wider tires.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:04 PM

There are women specific saddles out there but not bike frames. You just have to get the frame that fits. +1 on level bars and saddle. You an always get in the drops if you want to get lower.

Another thing to consider. A cyclocross or gravel bike is a nice option because you have a road bike when you want it or and off road bike when you need it. They are very diverse bicycles.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:14 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
There are women specific saddles out there but not bike frames. You just have to get the frame that fits. +1 on level bars and saddle. You an always get in the drops if you want to get lower.

Another thing to consider. A cyclocross or gravel bike is a nice option because you have a road bike when you want it or and off road bike when you need it. They are very diverse bicycles.
spec'd has the amira and giant has the liv series?
Old 08-09-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
spec'd has the amira and giant has the liv series?
Amira discontinued. Just smaller Allez's etc now. Trek discontinued women specific road bikes.

Liv exists. Juilliana exists. Giant/Liv make fantastic bikes and that would be the avenue I'd go down if I was buying a women's specific bike for fit purposes.

The funny thing about Trek is that on their 'Women's Road Bike' section it even says: Trek has been making a full line of women’s road bikes longer than anyone—and experience has taught us that one approach does not fit all women. Different women want different things from their bikes, and we’ve got something for all of them.

But they don't make them anymore.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 08-09-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:27 PM

If I was going LBS, I'd definitely look for a Giant/Liv dealer. There are Liv bikes available at shops that don't have anything else in stock.

That said, I don't need or want women's frames (or saddles), but I'm taller than a lot of women, so ymmv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
All I know about Liv is that an LBS sells a bunch of them. So I guess they're OK. And AVAILABLE. I think they're a cosponsor of a pro/UCI team.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:55 PM

Yeah I seem to remember it was a bit of a fad thing and in the end they really were just bikes right?
Old 08-09-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveronfire View Post
If I was going LBS, I'd definitely look for a Giant/Liv dealer. There are Liv bikes available at shops that don't have anything else in stock.

That said, I don't need or want women's frames (or saddles), but I'm taller than a lot of women, so ymmv.
Agree! I’m a 5’9” woman who has never had a women’s bike or saddle. And if I don’t have some drop, I’m not comfortable. My saddle issues are alleviated with a generous cut-out and less reach but some drop.

It’s important to go to a bike shop where if she says “soft tissue issues,” the sales person won’t need the fainting couch.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:19 PM

Thanks folks, very helpful. Doug, you're exactly right - a "go faster" bike. Neither of us are out here setting landspeed records!

I like the Liv for precisely the reasons you mentioned: hoods are level with the saddle and the reach is short. My lady is all legs, so the short reach will be super important.

I mean, my bars are only like 4cm below my saddle, so it's not like I'm riding super low either!! Getting older...

Fab123, thanks for the recommendation of a cutout in the saddle - I'll keep that in mind as we're checking out the fit.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab123 View Post
Agree! I’m a 5’9” woman who has never had a women’s bike or saddle. And if I don’t have some drop, I’m not comfortable. My saddle issues are alleviated with a generous cut-out and less reach but some drop.

It’s important to go to a bike shop where if she says “soft tissue issues,” the sales person won’t need the fainting couch.
I love this answer. ^

Also the OP stated that it was his girlfriend that brought up the idea of a Go-Fast bike so no need to assume the little lady* isn't involved in the choice/decision here.

*"Well, she has now expressed interest in getting a "go-fast" drop-bar bike so she can accompany me on my longer, more adventurous rides. Great!"

Splaining men and all...

As someone who has sold (sells) bikes for years, my suggestion is to discuss with her what she is after and then send her to the good bike shop alone to buy her new bike. Or if you must go in...please let the salesperson do the talking and suggesting. After all you ( and no offense) are asking a bike forum for assistance. (smile)

Have fun.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Haha Charlie - in fact, it was her idea to get a drop-bar road bike. She told me that it's because she wants to ride with me, but I suspect that I know the real reason: she wants to ride with one of her friends who is a triathlete and an avid road biker! So I can assure you that I'm not the one doing the peer-pressuring!

And although I understand everyone's concern regarding mansplaining and such, I promise that our particular relationship dynamic does not allow for such things, even if I wanted to.

We'll see if I can locate a bike at what you might call a "reputable" shop, where I actually trust the salespeople to help her out. But given the extreme limits on supply, I don't think I'm going to have that luxury. Most bike stores in this area are much more focused on selling e-bikes to delivery guys than getting someone properly set up on a road bike. So with all due respect, I do want to accompany her!

Thanks for your help everyone, all these suggestions have been super helpful.