Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Semi OT: Cutting weight

As you guys know, I've lost a fair chunk of weight this past year.

We happened to be doing a Biggest Loser competition (based on percentage lost) at work again, and we're coming up on the weigh in. While I've done the good stuff, it's still a competition, and I lost by something like .3% earlier this year -- I want the jackpot.

I know it's not the healthiest thing to consider, all told, but I'm looking for every competitive edge here, so I've been considering doing a water cut similar to what an MMA fighter would do prior to their weigh-in. The plan is five days out to drink 2 gallons of water, minimize carbs, no salt. Days 2 and 3 are 1 gallon, day 4 is a half gallon, and the day before the weigh-in is a quarter gallon of water -- all day. Found this plan here.

It's a bit extreme, but it's a pretty decent pot and the holiday's are coming, so the money would be really nice to win. My concern is that I don't need to cut *that* much (I'd feel very good about my chances cutting 10 lbs, not necessarily 20), so I figured I'd see if anyone had any suggestions in adjusting the plan to 1) make it less miserable and 2) make it less extreme. Weigh in is also first thing in the morning and not 5pm as in the plan, so I might need to adjust my timing...

Already planning on riding the trainer in winter kit the morning right before the weigh in, lol...
Old 11-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Sauna

Do you have access to a sauna?

You should find out what collegiate/olympic wrestlers and pro boxers do-

I know that sometimes they come down like 10-13 lb. for a weigh in.

Also- there was a guy a few years ago who won biggest loser. He was a former collegiate wrestler. I believe he pulled out every trick in the book to be light at the final weigh-in.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51 AM

hey doood.
to provide the worst possible advice?
take a diuretic or laxative too..
just be careful of your water/salt levels. don't wanna mess up your tonicity.

example: death by hypertonicity (too much water outside of the cells, it flows with the gradient and floods your cells drowing you at a cellular level).
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan...cal/me-water14

Last edited by seanile; 11-16-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Classics Fan

I never understood the single point weigh-in. Why not take the average over a week such that 'gaming' the weigh-in is a little harder?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:17 AM

The MMA/Wrestler guys/girls have been known to get some health problems from doing this, might want to really consider if it's worth it or if you can do it with legit weight loss instead.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:27 AM

This should be an interesting discussion.

I recall there was a guy who messed with his metabolism in arcane and secret ways, to come out ahead in a competition, for money, and he got some pretty hard treatment around here.

Or, you know, there's other perspectives on it.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Epsom Salt

Former wrestler here... if serious about cutting water weight look into the salt bath stuff that fighters do. It will suck you down pretty quick. Not fun and being dehydrated is probably never good for your body.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:37 PM

Cutting water weight is cheating, imo.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumphigher View Post
Cutting water weight is cheating, imo.
Now, while I understand that point of view, it's well within the terms of the friendly competition at my office. No different than not taking a dump right before the weigh-in -- it's just playing the game. I've lost 22lbs this round on my own, but percentage wise I want to make damn sure I don't lose by a fraction of a percent point to the same guy I lost to last time. That was a blow of a defeat.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 PM

Why not stop eating? Intermittent fasting seems to be all the rage these days...
Old 11-16-2017, 05:00 PM

see, that's not something I'm willing to do.. I'll reduce intake, i'll try and manage/drastically reduce water, I'll try and ride the trainer for two hours the morning of without a fan on, but again, I'm trying not to do anything too extreme.. just looking for that slight extra edge while not getting *too* crazy.

(I admit that anything along this line is kind of crazy.. but I also know the race is going to be close..)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Riding Along

Why not just compete with integrity and not by turning yourself into jerky.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM

Please explain to me how doing everything you can to lose every last bit of weight, for a weight loss competition, is not competing with integrity, if you're well within the very lose guidelines of the competition?
Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 PM

I don’t think folks that are doing the intermittent fast think it’s crazy. In fact they go on and on about how great they feel. Almost like vegans...Those seeking religious enlightenment certainly don’t think of it as crazy. I’d rather go without food than water any day.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 PM

I don't know about that first idea--you've seen the warnings, and it doesn't sound like you would want to win that much.

Seeing what you've written, I'd limit it what you've lost plus a pre weigh in session of losing some water weight. I know you mentioned the winter kit on the trainer, but I have memories of steam room-jumping-rope-in-trash-bags-and-sweatsuits working before weigh in at HS wrestling meets... Only advisable if you're sure you won't throw up on the mat though, but that's a different story.

Good luck.