Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Jagwire Tube Top Frame Protectors

http://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/tube-tops

Anyone have experience using the longer version? I'm using helicopter tape on head tube area to prevent cable rub, and am thinking of adding either the Jagwire mini or longer versions.
BTW, if any C59/C60 users want to share how they protect against cable rub with mechanical internal routing, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM

You can use whatever you want to aisle the casing from touching the frame, the issue is that even with those rubber thingys the frame paint job gets scratches.

What you have to do is to use polyurethane clear tape (helicopter tape i think is called) over the frame and then you put those rubber thingy.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 AM

^^^ This. I put down Helicopter tape or the Gorrila Tape alternative first, then some kind of rubber cable protector on top.

FWIW - I find that the longer split style design ones are more prone to moving around or popping off. Particularly on the cross or MTB which see more steering articulation causing cables to flex and move more. The more spherical ones that slide over the cable stay put better for me.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:13 AM

Great, Thanks! Yes, already using helicopter tape.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:27 PM

Is there a matte finish version of helicopter tape? I have a frame with a matte finish and am thinking that shiny tape would look out of place.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
http://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/tube-tops

Anyone have experience using the longer version? I'm using helicopter tape on head tube area to prevent cable rub, and am thinking of adding either the Jagwire mini or longer versions.
BTW, if any C59/C60 users want to share how they protect against cable rub with mechanical internal routing, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use the Mini Tub Tops and Wheels Manufacturing chainstay protectors tape. Works really well. Looks clean.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

Clear tape is much better imo.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:23 AM

mini-top tube from Jagwire work great

Using these on a number of bikes with great results. Always find tape residue leaches to the edges where it collects dirt and grease, this is much better solution.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
^^^ This. I put down Helicopter tape or the Gorrila Tape alternative first, then some kind of rubber cable protector on top.

FWIW - I find that the longer split style design ones are more prone to moving around or popping off. Particularly on the cross or MTB which see more steering articulation causing cables to flex and move more. The more spherical ones that slide over the cable stay put better for me.
That's also been my experience. It looks like jagwire is now offsetting the split. I don't know well that design works.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:33 PM

I have these on my C59 with mechanical super record. Had the same set on since I bought it so a few years now. Never lost one and no cable rub on the frame. I have 4 (2 for the headtube, 1 on the rear brake cable near the seat clamp and I near the rd).
Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM

On my bikes I use the little rubber circles made by Jagwire. It's got their jaguar logo on them. Work great and if they wear out I just replace them.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:50 PM

I use a small piece of black or clear tape on the frame and a 2 inch piece of heat shrink on the cable for a clean look. I tried The Jagwire protectors but they were a little too bulky looking for me.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
I have these on my C59 with mechanical super record. Had the same set on since I bought it so a few years now. Never lost one and no cable rub on the frame. I have 4 (2 for the headtube, 1 on the rear brake cable near the seat clamp and I near the rd).
Thank you sir, have mechanical SR11 as well on C59. Did you use helicopter or other tape beneath Jaqwire thingies? I put the tape on, and was deciding between the mini or longer ones. Based on input here, will go with minis that I've used before. Seems to me that cable rub on C59 HT with the internal routing would be unavoidable without precautions. Thanks for input folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.jpg (72.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (79.4 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by galgal; 11-18-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:45 PM

I have the longer ones installed on all of my current bikes; they seem to work well. I have never lost one, and I haven't noticed any rub marks or scratches caused by the protectors.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 PM

I have used the longer split ones & they tend to move around a lot especially with age. Currently using these with great success and along with some clear protective film.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Bicycle...ar=&hash=item0